News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

What did you do before GCA?
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »
As a member of the younger generation, GCA's existence coincides with my college and early business years...the internet has been a part of most of my post-high school life, and finding this site seemed only like a matter of time.

But for others, certainly our more well-seasoned and wiser members, what did you do before this site was born to carry on the discussions you have now?  Were things like the 10th at Merion debated only once a year and with one friend who happened to take an interest in architecture and history? (And what did Pat do before there were multi-colored fonts and the "quote" function on the message board?)

Good heavens...what must Mr. Huckaby have done with himself?

Tom Huckaby

Re:What did you do before GCA?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:56:24 AM »
Ryan:

There have been several discussion groups that were predecessors to this one, covering the same subject more or less.  Many regulars here participated there.  Guys like me and Tommy and Vostinak and Vaderborght and several others go back to 1993 or so with this stuff.

A better question is what did we do with ourselves before there was an internet?

And that time did exist, let me assure you you young whippersnapper.

Back then, there was this thing called work... and before that, school... and perhaps more attention got devoted to each.

Nah.  There were ways to screw around, er I mean discuss vital issues, even back then.  It just wasn't nearly as immediate, or vast.  See there's also this thing called the telephone, and it's been around quite a long time.  There's also this thing called US Mail - perhaps you've heard of it.

;D ;D ;D

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:00:19 AM »
 8)

Played golf, observed features, and wondered.. why did they do that?

Oh, and read on the subject.. yeh, paper with words on it..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:03:48 AM »
Huck,

I thought Al Gore didn't invent the internet until '94..

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
As Sir Thomas of Huckaby points out there were groups prior to this and many of the same names were there... it started with some golf website that became GolfWeb, then it was Bravenet, followed by TraditionGolf.com and finally GCA.

Prior to the WWW we had USENET news and rec.sport.golf..

And prior to that we had these things called books......  ;)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:06:37 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:06:46 AM »
Huck,

I thought Al Gore didn't invent the internet until '94..

Could well be, and you know us old codgers and how the years get mixed up... I just do recall doing this kinda thing for several years before I started here in 1999... maybe it was 1996 it all started...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »

A better question is what did we do with ourselves before there was an internet?

And that time did exist, let me assure you you young whippersnapper.

Reminds me of the time my wife and I were telling our daughter about growing up and then TV arrived with only two channels, both in B+W.

Her reply "Does that mean even video's were black and white?"
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »
Craig - THANK YOU!  That was the progression.  So when did we all start on rsg?

BTW, Craig's gonna kill me for this... but you all can blame HIM for my participation here... he first told me about it!

;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:09:23 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
Layed over in the corner balled up in the fetal position.

Engaged frequently in my other vices and addictions.

Didn't make excuses when asked to come to bed.  

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »
Here's a blast from the Bravenet/TraditionGolf.com past from the wayback machine.. some names that people might know..

http://web.archive.org/web/19990508120815/http://www.traditionalgolf.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/19990930191307/www3.bravenet.com/forum/show.asp?userid=bb75685

Too bad the actually replies aren't there..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:19:34 AM by Craig Edgmand »

JohnV

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 11:19:02 AM »
Weren't Bravenet and Traditionalgolf.com the same, just that we got the domain name eventually?  If so, wasn't there something in between Golfweb and Bravenet which was run by some young kid out of Colorado I believe?

The mind is getting fuzzy.

rec.sport.golf was created in July of 1991. I was one of the Yes votes for it at the time.  I was just looking at the old announcement regarding it and see that a guy who became one of my regular foursome (along with John Kirk) in 1993 voted for it in 1991.  I didn't even know him at the time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:23:06 AM by John Vander Borght »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 11:20:46 AM »
Bravenet was the discussion portion..  Mike Golden took care of that..

Traditional Golf was registered by Mike Erdmann..

TraditionalGolf.Com -> Our Mission:  To inform, educate and entertain golf enthusiasts...on golf course architecture, design and tradition.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:24:20 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 11:21:50 AM »

Tom,

Oh yea, well it was Vander Borght who told me.. so its his fault.  :P

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 11:24:09 AM »
Craig, that is a blast from the past!  Pretty amazing to realize it's been that long ago, and how many of us are still around from the old Golfweb/Bravenet days.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 11:25:59 AM »
memories....

and yes, it is all JV's fault.

I think my 1993 entry time into rsg is correct... good lord, 13 years doing this stuff.... gulp.  Long live Ken Pitts.

Another thing a bunch of us particpated on was golfonline's "grillroom".   That's where I first interacted with Mr. Huntley....

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:27:42 AM by Tom Huckaby »

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 11:28:40 AM »
memories....

and yes, it is all JV's fault.

I think my 1993 entry time into rsg is correct... good lord, 13 years doing this stuff.... gulp.

mea culpa, everybody. ;)

I actually started posting on the Rule section of Golfweb, but got bored with it and went to the Architecture section where I met many of the characters that are still here today.  I think that is where Craig and I reconnected.  We had worked together in the mid-90s when I was on a consulting job at his company and then lost touch.  I don't even remember if we had discussed golf while I was working there.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 11:29:28 AM »
Thank God that the individual posts there are no longer accessible.

I was a total idiot back then.  ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »
Geez, that 'wayback machine' could get some guys in trouble if someone was going to do alot of research as to what they were saying wayback when.  ;) ;D 8)

I used the nom d'plume of Bendelow2 then, as it was a carryover from a previous forum that was more like a bar fight than a discussion, most of the time.  I forget that forums name.  

That part about somehow Bravenet going down due to lack of payment for the space or something along that line, was rescued by Mike Golden, who paid for Traditional Golf registration, if I'm not mistaken.  

Boy, lots of names there who are still alive and kickin...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:45 AM »
By the overlapping posts and velocity of these remaniscences posts, naustalgia for the good old days is quite high this Christmas season  ;) ;D 8)

Slow down you guys... I can't think or type that fast! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »
Oh yeah, and I still can't spell! ::) :-\ :-[

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
John,

We didn't talk golf because I didn't play golf then.. kind of a late starter.

GolfWeb architecture group circa 4/97

http://web.archive.org/web/19970415175036/www1.golfweb.com/forums/architecture/index.html

Golfweb 5/98

http://web.archive.org/web/19980211185845/services.golfweb.com/forums/architecture/index.html

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:46:49 AM by Craig Edgmand »

JohnV

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 12:02:35 PM »
Craig,

Lots of good names in those lists.

Redanman, Naccarato, Shackleford, Huckaby, Duffner, Golden, King etc.

Too bad the articles aren't there as I'd really like to see what Tommy wrote that was titled:

"Why can't we all just get along!"

Of course, only Tommy would make that an exclamatory instead of a question.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 12:12:17 PM »
Craig, I'm a little confused at that last link to golfweb.  When did we all go to Southern Pines?  Wasn't that 1998?  I recognise just about every name on there (who could forget Del Ratcliffe)?  ;) ;D  Yet, I don't see my name on there at all.  I'm trying to figure out if there was a dual GCA discussion pair of groups then, or what.  Obviously, I was somewhere in the mix, since I helped put together that trip to Pinehurst-Needles, etc.  But, I don't see any posts by me.  I know I was as sick of a gca puppy then, as I am now.  I can't imagine going a couple of months without yammering about something.  

BTW, did anyone catch the progression and transformation of a certain poster person from Redangirl to Redanman?  Hmmmm, verrry interrrestink...  ;) ;D 8)

JohnV

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »
The Pinehurst trip was May 1999.  It was part of the same trip that took me to Valdosta for the NCAA division 2 golf championships which is where John M told me about this site being formed.  I know it was 1999 because I looked at the NCAA records to see when that golf championship was held.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 12:25:15 PM »
Ryan,

As a 12 year old in 1967, I recall seeing HW Winds  article on strategic design at the neighbors who introduced me to golf.  Not long after, I saw a GD in a store with a similar article by Gary Player about what made a great course (one reachable 5, two tweeners, and one 3 shotter was one premise)

NGF had some articles written over the years that I sent away for including one by Joe Finger about the business end of building a golf course.  

About 1974 the first World Atlas of Golf came out.

The internet is a wonderful thing for the youthful study of gca.

Oh yeah, I also talked to myself a lot.  I got worried when I started arguing with myself....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back