News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re:10th green at Dismal River
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 02:36:19 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the image Mr. Wall posted of the 5th hole and not the 10th???

Can someone display a picture of the actual hole in question???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jim Franklin

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 02:47:32 PM »
That is the 5th. Unfortunately I did not bring a camera when I played there.
Mr Hurricane

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 03:25:07 PM »
Jim,
 It's more than just NOT being a fad. It has to with the justification of the bunker, it's size and the corresponding putting surfaces slopes.

Michael Dugger, I also do not have a pic, but imagine a narly nasty deep irregularly shaped bunker, complete with eyebrows everywhere. Surrounded by smaller, in scale greenspace. The front right has the most greenspace, but the leftside is almost the same width as the bunker. In other words not enough green too much bunker.

I did receive a call yesterday about Dismal River. Since I have no confirmation I'm hesitant to post it.

Those interested in gossip can IM me.

And... NO it isn't that Joe Passov voted it best.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 03:41:41 PM »
yes, it's the 5th...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
OK, so here is the skimpy.
The big picture is better to see the green contours.
But, just in case, here is one scaled down.
Sorry for the delay

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 04:26:34 PM »
The pic is a little large...but you get the idea...try stopping the ball on that seven foot swale with a stimp of 12...see how much fun that is...slow it down and atleast we have a fighting chance.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 08:46:43 PM »
Jordan Wall

A) Will you please not post images of the wrong hole, it makes things confusing.  I know you are only trying to help but in this case you just hurt.

B) Will you please delete your posting with the HUGE image, it makes looking at this thread painful.  Everyone hates scrolling.

Here is the shot which shows what's going on with the REAL 10th green.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 08:55:40 PM »
I think Jordan's picture is the 10th green, the front left view.  Crazy, man.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
I think Jordan's picture is the 10th green, the front left view.  Crazy, man.

Hey John, long time no chat!

Yes, Jordan's 2nd effort is the 10th, but the first are of the 5th

Scott Szabo

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »
Michael,

Is there green beyond the bunker up by the fellow in the red shirt?  If so, is it possible to get back there - doesn't appear that way.

Never been there, but from the picture, that looks like one crazy green, if you can call it that.

I hope to get out there next summer to see for myself, if possible.

I've heard alot of things about Dismal, both good and bad, and I'd like to try and reserve judgment for myself until I get the opportunity to play it.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jordan Wall

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 09:40:04 PM »
Michael,

The first image was #5.
If you had read the thread you would have heard some discussion on that hole.

And, btw, those images were given to me to post.
I just did what I was asked.
I dont think I hurt the discussion at all.

Thanks for the picture.
It gives a great view behind the bunker.

Jordan

Michael Dugger

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »
Michael,

The first image was #5.

Jordan,

Don't go getting wise with me, okay, I did read the thread.

However, if my eyes do not deceive, I am reading that this thread is entitled 10th green at Dismal River.  Yet, the only picture posted was of an entirely different hole...and a blurry one at that!

We can go ahead and post images and talk about every green on the golf course for all I care, but it makes more sense to me to do so on a thread entitled "Compare and Contrast the Greens at Dismal River!"

P.S. Thanks for removing the huge resolution image ;D

P.S.S. And I have a much better focused one of #5, FWIW
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:49:40 PM by Michael Dugger »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 09:53:38 PM »
Michael,

If you have the pics, let's start the thread you suggested.  Some of us haven't had the opportunity to visit as of yet...

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »
Michael,

Is there green beyond the bunker up by the fellow in the red shirt?  If so, is it possible to get back there - doesn't appear that way.

Never been there, but from the picture, that looks like one crazy green, if you can call it that.

I hope to get out there next summer to see for myself, if possible.

I've heard alot of things about Dismal, both good and bad, and I'd like to try and reserve judgment for myself until I get the opportunity to play it.

Scott -- yes, if the man in the red shirt were to walk straight forward, there is more green

the bunker is almost in the dead center of the green
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 10:23:51 PM »
Gents,

I have not been out to Dismal, however a member of the Nicklaus staff offered a username and password to view a veritable slew of images they took on this very website a few months ago.  I downloaded them but will need to resize 'em and put them on my server before posting.  

Thus, I love helping folks, it's one of the best things about this website, but bear with me while I get it together.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 12:30:47 AM »
Michael,

The first image was #5.

Jordan,

Don't go getting wise with me, okay, I did read the thread.

However, if my eyes do not deceive, I am reading that this thread is entitled 10th green at Dismal River.  Yet, the only picture posted was of an entirely different hole...and a blurry one at that!

We can go ahead and post images and talk about every green on the golf course for all I care, but it makes more sense to me to do so on a thread entitled "Compare and Contrast the Greens at Dismal River!"

P.S. Thanks for removing the huge resolution image ;D

P.S.S. And I have a much better focused one of #5, FWIW

Michael,

Since you read the thread you would have seen there was some discussion on #5, no matter what the title is.

I guess I just cannot post an image correctly.
I mean, the image I was given was too big.
So, I tried to make it smaller at request yet now it is too blurry.
Perhaps you would be able to help me make the image better, without being blurry or too large.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, I wasnt posting images of every hole.
Just the two being discussed.
That is one ninth of the course.
That hardly qualifies as every hole of the course.

I also do not doubt that through your special access with special pictures you have a better pic of #5.
I was given an image that was huge, and at the request of GCA'ers I posted it.
I did the best I could to slim it down.

So, I am not being wise with you.
You just cannot accept that I am trying my best to post something I was asked to post.

Anyways, I truly do like your pictures.
They are very nice.
Very good quality, and I enjoy most of your pictures you post.
Thanks for posting them so frequently.

Jordan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back