News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Yardages
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »
Are yardages measured to the middle or front of a green?

Tom Huckaby

Re:Yardages
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:02:19 PM »
Are yardages measured to the middle or front of a green?

Different courses do it differently - but most often it is to the middle.  Still it does pay to ask... I have played courses where yardages are to the front of the green and then you add on from there.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:02:38 PM »
In the US they are measured to the center.
I have never been to Europe but I am assuming they also measure to the center
 ???

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:04:03 PM »
In the US they are measured to the center.
I have never been to Europe but I am assuming they also measure to the center
 ???

Jordan:
All courses are different.  Most in the US are to the center of the green but not all.  In Ireland many of the courses were to the front and also some were measured in meters and you had to adjust for that also.
Best
Dave

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
Jordan - some places in the UK (and here) don't have marked yardages at all.   In any case, it's always just whatever the course itself wants to do - there are no rules about this.

And I have played several courses here in the US where yardages are to the front edge.

TH

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 02:07:04 PM »
Jordan - some places in the UK (and here) don't have marked yardages at all.   In any case, it's always just whatever the course itself wants to do - there are no rules about this.

TH

Thanks Huck,

I guess I learn something everday!
Have you played Friars Head?
I hear they do not have yardages yet...

JESII

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:09:40 PM »
Hog's Neck in Easton, MD lists its scorecard distances in meters and on course yardages in yards. When we played there in a college tournament it took about 5 holes of the practice round to figure out what was going on...the next year it only took 3 or 4 holes...Temple, I could have gone anywhere, but I chose Temple...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:10:03 PM by JES II »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »
Friar's Head did spring to mind in the "no yardages" category.  There can't be all that many others here in the US.

And no, I have not played there.

TH

Dave_Miller

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »
Friar's Head did spring to mind in the "no yardages" category.  There can't be all that many others here in the US.

And no, I have not played there.

TH

Huck:
Unless it has changed Olympic Lake Course did not have yardage markers.  Is this still the case?
Best
Dave

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 02:18:39 PM »
Many courses that require caddies do not have yardages. On those courses the caddies either know or have a chart that shows distance to the front on the green, then they add yardage to the hole location that day on the pin sheet..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Dave - you know it's been awhile and I don't remember one way or the other re OClub Lake.  Thankfully we have several members who participate here...  hopefully they will confirm or deny.

TH

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
Huck,

SFGC doesn't, nor does Ballyneal or Pine Valley, or Merion..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 02:22:31 PM »
Sean - none of those surprise me.  That's still a pretty darn small number.

;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 02:42:49 PM »
I know of one course in Scotland where the yardage markers in the fairways are to the center of the greens, but the distances shown in the course guide are to the front of the greens. At another course less than 10 miles away, the yardage markers in the fairways are to the front of the greens, but the distances shown in the course guides are to the center of the greens. Go figure!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 03:30:43 PM »
IMO once a course opens it can be both ways, best to ask if it is not indicated on the card.  Pre-opening I think most distances are to the middle (I just checked our plans).  In my pocket-pro collection many European courses and Tour courses are to the front.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

SL_Solow

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
I have been on a few whose sprinkler heads are marked to the front, middle and back.  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »
PV used to have numbers on the sprinkler heads that only the caddies had access too. Fortunately, their new books have the yardages.
Mr Hurricane

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 05:26:21 PM »
I played Olympic (Lake and Ocean) last year and it must have had yardages on the sprinklers because we weren't with any members and I don't recall ever having trouble getting distances that day.  San Francisco and Cypress don't have yardages and you have to rely on your caddy for that.

The only course I can recall for sure marking their yardages to the FRONT of the green rather than the center is Shadow Hawk just outside of Houston.  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 05:31:37 PM »
Every time I'm back at the course I grew up playing, I watch all my dad's buddies - who've been playing this same course for more than 30 years - look for yardage on sprinkler heads, every hole.

I guarantee if you took the numbers off the heads, these guys would be forced to dig into their memory banks, and they'd know exactly how far they are from the centre of the greens, all day, without referencing a single head.

Yet, there they are, every round, almost frantically looking all over the place for markers on approach to the greens. Odd.  
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back