News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark_Rowlinson

Golf on another shore 1
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:42:58 PM »
Your fairy godmother has heard that you are interested in GCA.  She pops in for a chat one day and announces that with her magic powers she could put you in touch with any golf architect, living or dead, and that you could ask one, but only one, question of that architect.  What question would you ask of whom?

Michael Dugger

Re:Golf on another shore 1
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »
I'd ask Stanley Thompson what he thought of Robert Trent Jones Sr.'s body of work.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:01:42 PM »
I'd ask Ross how his designs would differ today
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »
I'd ask CBM, "Hey Charlie, what exactly did you and Hugh talk about?" ;D ;D ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 04:10:13 PM »
I'd ask Tillie, "what's in the flask". :P 8) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:42:20 PM »
I'd ask the good doctor if he wouldn't mind writing down, in very large print, all the designs decisions regarding Augusta Nat'l, hole by hole. I'd then ask him if he was allowed a day trip to hell, to collect from Roberts.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ted Kramer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:48:12 AM »
I'd ask Old Tom if he ever had the term "fair" cross his mind while laying out / designing holes. And if the term/idea "fair" was part of his thinking, what did it mean to him?

-Ted

Chris Kane

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
I'd ask Tom Doak if he could have made Sebonack better on his own  ;D

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »
I would ask Dick Wilson "how come so many of your designs are still played on Tour, and who has done the worst renovation of one of your courses" ?   I think I heard him say "Ray Floyd".
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Paul Payne

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 02:51:04 PM »
I'd ask Old Tom if would have liked to have an earth mover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back