News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Josh Smith

Ballyneal black and whites
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »
Guys,

A few photos to share...I snapped this shot just before TD smacked the ceremonial kickoff tee shot for the grand opening ceremonies at Ballyneal.  Black and white seemed most appropriate for the occasion.  There were no breakfast balls or mulligans and to most of our amazement Tom's drive was well hit and down the right half of the fairway.  Getting results from the long neck hickory must take some know how.  I thought he was known for his short game...

Below is a photo of the eighth green complex.  Makes you want to go doesn't it?

This photo is of the seventh from the middle of the fairway, this is a very thrilling short par four with a green that fascinates most who play it.

PThomas

Re:Ballyneal black and whites
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »
beautiful Josh

although there's someone out there, as discussed on another thread, that would give them a "1" for aesthetics ??? :o
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 10:42:09 AM »
Definitely a "1", if the scale is 1 - 100 with 1 being the best
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ted Kramer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:50:22 AM »
Great pics!
I love black and whites, pictures and cookies.

Mr. Doak, you're a friggin stud when it comes to GCA . . .
you have some serious game sir, some serious game!!

Thanks for sharing all that you do with us.

-Ted

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
Tom

That golf ball looks too white to be the gutty that I gave you at the Sheep Ranch.  That might have been an appropriate moment.

What ever happened to that ball?

Daryl David

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
Josh,

You are right.  Tom's short game is amazing.  The guy can putt from places off the green you would never dream of.  Reminds me of those old Jordan commercials.  Off the hump, around the bend, bounce off the yucca, trickle down the hill, nothing but net!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 11:22:08 AM »
The day Tom first got to play a grown-in Ballyneal, he had one great day of golfing. His morning round was completed with zero double bogies, nor a birdie. In the afternoon round, Tom left after the tenth to capture the low light to photograph a few holes. He re-joined us on 16,where he made his first birdie of the day. On 17, Tom had about 25-30 feet for a bogie. As he lined it up and took his stance, I realized the importance of this putt. At that moment I said "If you make this I'll buy you dinner" He sunk it. Avoiding the double.

Josh, Excellent photos. That one of the eighth green proves your point about B&W capturing the humps and bumps better.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Josh Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 11:26:08 AM »
Yeah.  Here are a few more that might rate as "1" on the aesthetics scale...these are a few of the better color photos I got at Ballyneal when I visited.  Cannot wait to get back again and get busy painting them.

The photo above is the par 4 10th hole.

This above photo is taken of the 8th green complex from 60 yards in front of the green in the left rough.

This above photo is a shot of the 1st hole from the tee just minutes before the ceremonial first tee shot at the grand opening.  The overcast skies opened up in honor of the moment, or so I like to believe.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »
Does #7 remind any of the Ballyneal folks of #9 at Cypress Point as much as it does me?  At least from the one black and white photo that is!

Black and white photography is great for golf courses, and is one of the highlights of Geoff's book on Cypress Point.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 11:59:14 AM »
Bill, The only similarity that i'm aware of, between the two holes, is the ability to make almost every player standing on the tee, question the way to play the hole.

There are many options and decisions to be made.

Without trees and rough some golfers are uncomfortable because they just don't know where to hit their ball. ::)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:25:24 PM »
Bill, The only similarity that i'm aware of, between the two holes, is the ability to make almost every player standing on the tee, question the way to play the hole.

There are many options and decisions to be made.

Without trees and rough some golfers are uncomfortable because they just don't know where to hit their ball. ::)

Adam, I was thinking of what looks like a sharply uphill approach into a heavily bunkered green on a short par 4.  I need to get out to Ballyneal for a look; had a nice visit with Jim O'Neal at Meadow Club 10 days ago.  It was fun talking to one of the owners about the new course.

Nick Church

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing your work and website.

Where can I find lithographs?  I'd love one of Pebble's 8th because it reminds me of my career shot...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 02:43:29 PM »
Hey Nick,

I hope you made that putt, especially after reading it from all angles.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back