News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Jason Topp

New Ideas
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing about new ideas in golf course design that people either discovered or learned for the first time this year.

The one I can think of is the approach to dealing with maximum turf restrictions at Stone Eagle.  Instead of the usual corridors of fairways through the desert, the course has few defined fairways dictating the direction of play and instead uses large bunkers and rock outcroppings to limit the total amount of turf.

Dan Kelly

Re:New Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
Jason --

The silence is deafening!

Too much convergence, maybe?

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
No Dan...everyone is probably reading on page 3 of the 17 page Merion #10 thread as I asked.  

Once they complete my assignment and read the whole thing, I have no doubt they will come over here to contribute, but that might be in a week or so.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 10:06:25 AM »
Jason --

The silence is deafening!

Too much convergence, maybe?

Dan

Perhaps you are right.  I started this because I was thinking that new innovations, at least so far as a non professional is concerned, might be rare.  Silence either indicates a lack of interest in the topic or that my original thinking was on target.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »
Grassing the entire green complex, surrounds and putting surface, with the same grass is an idea I got on CGA and will use when we rebuild our bermuda grassed Dick Wilson designed Lucayan CC. It will improve the playability and creativity of short shots.

and thanks everyone for the great ideas of how to get rid of our couts and coots (we have both the US Coot and the French Canadian Cout eating our grass).
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Marc Haring

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »
Has anyone thought of wall to wall fairway ala Augusta of old. Could be fun........maybe not if you're an animal with lots of predators waiting to eat you but it would suit my game.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:57:03 AM »
How about this: Something old can be something new

Kittansett: They have a par 3, perhaps the 11th or 12th hole with an unusual green that I thought was terrific. Kind of like a hogback. Maybe someone can post some pictures

Highland Links: What Stanley Thompson did here on some of the fairways, was have the construction crew pile rocks in the fairway to create a lumpy bumpy surface which worked great

Myopic Hunt: The 9th green is an unusal, challenging and worked wonderfully
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Gary_Mahanay

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
Gary Slatter,

What kind of grass are you going with?  What kind of grass will be in the fairways?  Will there be a noticable line of change in grass 10 to 20 yards in front of the greens?

Gary

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
Gary,  I am very interested in what you are doing at Lucayan Beach (the old name) and when you expect to be finished.  I used to play it a lot in the 70's and 80's and thought it was a very good course.  I have planned on going back for a visit but I think I'll wait pending your response.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back