News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Garland Bayley

Re:Personal "Bests": Offbeat Achievements in 2006
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 01:15:56 PM »
some chain of events that!... still, sounds like you may not match up with tiger in the old composure stakes though  ;)

Opponent misbehavior is my composure challenge. How often is Tiger faced with that?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John_Cullum

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »
Mistakenly giving away the match play championship of my flight at my home course. I was three up with four to play. My opponent and I each hit bad drives. He hit into the large stand of tree on the left of the 15th fairway. I hit completely across the 16th fairway to the right. We eventually met again on the fringe of the green, he on the left, me on the right. He hit up next to the pin. I asked him what he was laying. He said 6. I was laying 3 so I gave him the putt without even walking up to see it. I got down in 3, at which point he said he took a six. When I asked him about saying he was laying 6, he said he thought I wanted to know what the next stroke would give him. I was so flabberghasted (and shaking with anger) that I marked him as having won the hole. As I continued to stew, after loosing the next three holes, I mistakenly congratulated him and turned in the card with him as the winner 1 up. In case you wonder why I couldn't get a grip over three holes, another incident at the 17th put me off my game. Difficult par 3 with creek right in front of the green. He hit first into the water. I took extra club to make sure to clear the water and pushed slightly into the trees beside the green. The ball usually drops out of the trees next to the green. Didn't see it, so said I would take a provisional. Opponent convinced me it would be fine, so I forgo the provisional. Got to the green and the ball had kicked through the trees and out of bounds on the other side of the trees (apparently the golf gods were getting back at me for the hole-in-one there on Mother's Day). Needless to say, once again my blood was boiling. I went back to the tee and hit two straight OB and conceeded the hole.

Garland

Please IM me with your address so I can send you a Rule Book. You may want to make particular note of Rule 9-2, also note that Rule 6-6 only applies to stroke play.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 07:03:34 PM »
Not having played as much as I'd like this year thanks to so called career and so called right knee I'd have to say that the social elements, especially the Buda Cup, were the highlights for me. And I suppose this is the first season that I've not ended wondering what I'm going to do about my putting next year...

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 07:09:26 PM »
I was a major player in the movement to get more posters on this site to post under their real names.  My continued attempts to steer this site back to its architectural roots is on good pace and I have found some pleasure in the advancement of my other agendas.  I should take this time to thank all those who work behind the scenes (some of who I don't even know) and look forward to a successful 2007.

and I was the major player in getting Mr. Kavanaugh to keeping his posts limited to discussion of architecture only! ;D

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:14:07 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 07:44:48 PM »
I was a major player in the movement to get more posters on this site to post under their real names.  My continued attempts to steer this site back to its architectural roots is on good pace and I have found some pleasure in the advancement of my other agendas.  I should take this time to thank all those who work behind the scenes (some of who I don't even know) and look forward to a successful 2007.

and I was the major player in getting Mr. Kavanaugh to keeping his posts limited to discussion of architecture only! ;D

Thank you, Paul_T

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »
My offbeat achievement would be finishing a round in the coldest conditions I've ever played.  Kyle Harris and I decided to play Morgan Hill one day in February, I knew going in that the high probably wouldn't reach 40 that day, but what I forgot was the emphasis on the "Hill" part of Morgan Hill, meaning WIND.  I had never seen the course so I didn't know it was essentially built on a huge hill where the wind whipped constantly.  With a sometimes 20-30 mile an hour wind on a 35 degree day with not much sun we stalked our way around the course, to our credit, neither one of us brought up quitting.

Not only that, be we played another 15 holes up the river at RiverView.

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 08:22:29 PM »
Escena Golf Club - Palm Springs, CA

Took a 10 on the first hole (a par 5) without losing a ball.
Played the next 17 holes in 2 under par with nothing worse than a 4 on the card (Birdied the remaining 4 par 5s)

The scorecard (which I kept) looks something like this:

10 4 4 4 4 4 3 4 4 4 4 3 4 4 4 4 3 4

Total score - 75 (+3)

(Index at the time: around 4)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »
I have played a lot of golf on golf trips, but this last year I played 36 holes of golf 10 days (20 differrent courses) in a row on my trip to England.  And carried my 59 year old body on foot.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Hancock

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
Reading the posts in the thread on number of rounds played got me thinking about personal achievements of a dubious or odd nature thus far this year.

1. Shot 63 at my home course.
2. Won Junior Club Championship with a slap around 69 at my home course.
3. Met 10 GCA'ers ... ie-10 new friends
4. Met a really, really cool architect and played with him at a really, really cool course
 :)
5. Played my first private course ever in April, and have played 7 total this year.

I can't believe you don't hold your record of "quickest to 1500 posts" as a proud achievement.... ;D

That's OK...some day you'll have a job.... ;)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jordan Wall

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 09:20:30 PM »
Reading the posts in the thread on number of rounds played got me thinking about personal achievements of a dubious or odd nature thus far this year.

1. Shot 63 at my home course.
2. Won Junior Club Championship with a slap around 69 at my home course.
3. Met 10 GCA'ers ... ie-10 new friends
4. Met a really, really cool architect and played with him at a really, really cool course
 :)
5. Played my first private course ever in April, and have played 7 total this year.

I can't believe you don't hold your record of "quickest to 1500 posts" as a proud achievement.... ;D

That's OK...some day you'll have a job.... ;)

Joe

Huckaby must have 3500 + this year...

School is tough enough, so for now thats my job.

I guess I post a lot during work
 ;D

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 12:30:53 AM »
I also witnessed Paul Daley's buddy hole out on the 9th and 10th holes at the National (Moonah) for consecutive eagle 2's, a very rare feat indeed - thankfully he was my partner!!

TK

i also did this in the summer, coincidentally at the 9th and 10th... but on the old course...

i have now mentioned this on three seperate occasions on this board over the months... i am wholly immodest

Ally,

I assume your feat occured at THE Old Course, and not the "old" course at the National. Congrats.

TK

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 12:36:13 AM »
Two holes in one within 4 1/2 months of each other.  227 yard 4 iron and a 144 yard 9 iron.

Jfaspen

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 12:40:39 AM »
Shot a 74 at the reserve golf club in pawleys island, SC in March.

ForkaB

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 03:19:12 AM »
Sean

Without 3 proper scores your handicap lapses and you play off scratch next year! :D

BUDA V is ours!

Rich

PS--any movement from Sassenachland on the arrangements for BUDA V?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 03:40:46 AM »
Mistakenly giving away the match play championship of my flight at my home course. I was three up with four to play. My opponent and I each hit bad drives. He hit into the large stand of tree on the left of the 15th fairway. I hit completely across the 16th fairway to the right. We eventually met again on the fringe of the green, he on the left, me on the right. He hit up next to the pin. I asked him what he was laying. He said 6. I was laying 3 so I gave him the putt without even walking up to see it. I got down in 3, at which point he said he took a six. When I asked him about saying he was laying 6, he said he thought I wanted to know what the next stroke would give him. I was so flabberghasted (and shaking with anger) that I marked him as having won the hole. As I continued to stew, after loosing the next three holes, I mistakenly congratulated him and turned in the card with him as the winner 1 up. In case you wonder why I couldn't get a grip over three holes, another incident at the 17th put me off my game. Difficult par 3 with creek right in front of the green. He hit first into the water. I took extra club to make sure to clear the water and pushed slightly into the trees beside the green. The ball usually drops out of the trees next to the green. Didn't see it, so said I would take a provisional. Opponent convinced me it would be fine, so I forgo the provisional. Got to the green and the ball had kicked through the trees and out of bounds on the other side of the trees (apparently the golf gods were getting back at me for the hole-in-one there on Mother's Day). Needless to say, once again my blood was boiling. I went back to the tee and hit two straight OB and conceeded the hole.

Garland

Please IM me with your address so I can send you a Rule Book. You may want to make particular note of Rule 9-2, also note that Rule 6-6 only applies to stroke play.

john, i'm guessing garland's opponent would argue that he never gave wrong information (however untrue) and that the information given was just misinterpreted....

...garland, i was only winding you up about lack of composure... i'd have been hard pushed to refrain myself from wrapping my driver round said opponent's neck!

Ally,

I assume your feat occured at THE Old Course, and not the "old" course at the National. Congrats.

TK

tyler, it was indeed THE old course... i was chuffed as you might imagine

William King

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 06:12:32 AM »
Set a new personal record for stroke differential between 9s:
went OUT in 37, came back IN in 51   :-[

John Pflum

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »
I came back from five down in my club championship to go to extra holes.  

Knocked it to 10' feet on the par three playoff hole.  

Opponent made an ace.  
--
jvdp

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 09:14:25 AM »
I haven't heard about Buda. I strongly suspect that it will require a bit of strongarm tactics to produce a date and venue.  Trying to gather a consensus with this GCA lot is a hopeless task.  I should have known better than to attempt such a fool's errand.  

Sean, it has been well established over the past few years that the only way to "achieve consensus" is to (1) pick a date and venue with a couple of trusted accomplices, and (2) announce it on GCA.com.

If enough think it a good plan, they will come!   8)

It helps if the deal is very good.  Thank you Phillip Gwaith!

This is called the "benevolent dictator" plan.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:19:21 AM by Bill_McBride »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 09:15:51 AM »

My recent 48-37 is less differential but much more satisfying!  ;D

(Not sure how I got the wheels back on after that first nine, but it was fun.)

Tim Bert

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 09:33:17 AM »
I played a back nine where I only hit 2 GIR, and I four-putted both greens.  

That was probably my most unusual "accomplishment" this summer.  Fitting for a summer where, other than a few rounds, I played my worst golf in a long time.

5 years and counting since I broke 80.  I think this might have been the first year in a long time where I didn't even break 40 on a nine, though I have to give that a little more thought.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 09:46:07 AM »

This wasn't this year but once I played in a junior tournament once (Matheson Greens near Traverse City, MI) in which I shot 55 (+19) on the front and 32 (-4) on the back (at the time tied for course record on the back).  Had a "Tin Cup" incident in which I took an 18 on a par 5 on my 2nd hole.  6 straight into the water trying to cut the dog leg on a par 5.  I was pretty pleased that I recovered nicely but was pretty upset that I waisted a good round.  

Also, I played in the Michigan Junior Open a number of years ago at Black Bear Golf Resort near Gaylord, MI and I started out triple-bogey, double-bogey, quadruple-bogey, double-bogey my first 4 holes (+11 after 4).  Then the next 68 holes shot 3-under for a 3rd place +8.

Needless to say, used to pretty streaky.  Now I'm consistently underachieving.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »

This wasn't this year but once I played in a junior tournament once (Matheson Greens near Traverse City, MI) in which I shot 55 (+19) on the front and 32 (-4) on the back (at the time tied for course record on the back).  Had a "Tin Cup" incident in which I took an 18 on a par 5 on my 2nd hole.  6 straight into the water trying to cut the dog leg on a par 5.  I was pretty pleased that I recovered nicely but was pretty upset that I waisted a good round.  

If we can go way back, I have another one too!  Some of the Northern California guys will remember a course in Dublin whose name escapes me now.  I played in the All-Navy regional qualifier in 1967 out there.  At that time the front nine had not yet been surrounded by homes, the back nine was tightly enclosed.  I mean "hit it over the chimney to cut the dogleg" tightly enclosed.  I cruised around the front in a smooth 36, hit a bunch of greens, couldn't make a putt.  Had a smooth 48 on the back with five OBs.  Missed the cut and a trip to Hawaii by 2 shots  :o :P

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 10:27:20 AM »
Bill - no course in Dublin fits that description... I'm figuring you must be talking about Round Hill, which is quite a bit north of Dublin but is at least close... here's the NCGA map - I'm curious which course it is... check it out:

http://www.ncga.org/eastbay2.htm

And Jordan, I have no idea what you are talking about.  Check the counter... 1050 for me as I type this.   ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »
Tom, could be San Ramon CC.  By this time, 40 years later, both nines must be tightly enclosed!  There were holes that were closely lined by backyards and doglegs where you could hit over houses. At that time the front nine was undeveloped, back nine tight.  I think there was an island green per the website.  It was a riot.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 11:20:08 AM »
AHA!

Used to be known as San Ramon Royal Vista... pretty darn fun course - and yes, there is an island green, the surroundings of which swallowed by misplayed wedge shot last time there.  It is indeed surrounded by houses now... but it's not too awful in that respect.

Interestingly, and topical to this thread if this we can back up 6-7 years, this course also saw a tournament win by yours truly, one of few in my mediocre golf career... This was a church fund-raiser for a friend of mine, and being it's a Catholic church, it shouldn't surprise you to hear massive quantities of alcohol were consumed during play.  Perhaps this helped... as I somehow managed a gross 68 and won the tourney by 6 shots... much to the chagrin of many....

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back