News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Mark Bourgeois

Personal "Bests": Offbeat Achievements in 2006
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:00:40 PM »
As Woody Allen said, "It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're a neurotic!"

Reading the posts in the thread on number of rounds played got me thinking about personal achievements of a dubious or odd nature thus far this year.

Stuff that earns you strange looks, sympathetic stares, or outright puzzlement, as in, "why would anybody do that?!"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:25:36 PM by Mark Bourgeois »

Bob_Huntley

Re:Personal "Bests": Offbeat Achievements in 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:43:30 PM »
Here goes.

I had been playing absolutely the worst golf of my life, shooting scores that would have been unthinkable in an earlier era.

On the way home to my house in Carmel Valley I stopped off to see Ben Doyle, the Golf Machine guru at Quail Lodge. I told him of my woes and he went to work. That was on June 13, 2006. On June 16,2006,  I played the Shore Course at MPCC and shot my age, 76, with an ace and something like 28 putts. Euphoria, followed by a couple of gin and tonics. Next day I had a quick 94.

Dr. Bob Rotella, please answer the white courtesy telephone.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:22:22 AM »

Final round of KPV at Stone Eagle back tees.
Playing parnters Tom Renli, Jason Topp and Lou Duran.
Playing to 16 at the time(now 10.1).
First nine-I can't keep the ball on the planet.
Balls bouncing off every rock on the course. If I hit the fairway it was with the wheels of my cart.
Score 49.
Back nine--I'm on fire.. Shoot 39 with a four-putt triple on 17.
Unreal.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:38:32 AM »
Reading the posts in the thread on number of rounds played got me thinking about personal achievements of a dubious or odd nature thus far this year.

1. Shot 63 at my home course.
2. Won Junior Club Championship with a slap around 69 at my home course.
3. Met 10 GCA'ers ... ie-10 new friends
4. Met a really, really cool architect and played with him at a really, really cool course
 :)
5. Played my first private course ever in April, and have played 7 total this year.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 06:56:02 AM »
Best round outside my home course...
73 at Wick Golf Club, Scotland

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:13:36 AM »
At Buda IV I scooped up my partner's conceded putt with the back of my Anser, flipped in to him, but he wasn't looking, and Golf's Most Beloved Figure took a Prov V1x right between the eyes....... :'(

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 08:06:10 AM »
breaking par on my second ever round on the old course in terrible conditions with visibility at about 250 yards... and then feeling really deflated because i had played off the yellow tees on account of the standard of my playing partners and the weather... i think i'd have rather shot an 80 off the back i felt so down about it

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
Early summer 2006... back-to-back victories over Toronto's own RJ Bautista at Rivershore (Kamloops, BC) and the Quilchena Ranch 9-holer to capture an expensive (for Bautista!) lunch at Earl's, including more than one double vodka and Clamato!
jeffmingay.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 09:02:47 AM »
2 hole outs for eagles within 8 days of each other, both with a sand wedge, from 77 and 105 yards.  And when I say hole-outs, these were both no bounces, slam dunk, landing in the hole, staying in the hole....

Also, about a month later, a 36-hole day in 67-71-138.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:25:30 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »
1.In a Daily Telegarph Jr Open was 21 over after 7 :-\
For the last 11 holes I shot +2 to shot net 46 (I was off 40) to win.

2.l won most Improved player at my club.

3.Discovering GCA.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:11:34 AM »
Here goes.

I had been playing absolutely the worst golf of my life, shooting scores that would have been unthinkable in an earlier era.

On the way home to my house in Carmel Valley I stopped off to see Ben Doyle, the Golf Machine guru at Quail Lodge. I told him of my woes and he went to work. That was on June 13, 2006. On June 16,2006,  I played the Shore Course at MPCC and shot my age, 76, with an ace and something like 28 putts. Euphoria, followed by a couple of gin and tonics. Next day I had a quick 94.

Dr. Bob Rotella, please answer the white courtesy telephone.

What even happened to that Shivas thread "The Greatest Myths on GCA". When Sweeney came to town, Uncle Bob produced a 79 on his card and he also produced a 15 year old female golf partner that produced a 75. Let's just say that the WOLF streak is still intact!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:12:57 AM by Mike Sweeney »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 09:42:44 AM »
I was a major player in the movement to get more posters on this site to post under their real names.  My continued attempts to steer this site back to its architectural roots is on good pace and I have found some pleasure in the advancement of my other agendas.  I should take this time to thank all those who work behind the scenes (some of who I don't even know) and look forward to a successful 2007.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:44:25 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »
My offbeat achievement would be finishing a round in the coldest conditions I've ever played.  Kyle Harris and I decided to play Morgan Hill one day in February, I knew going in that the high probably wouldn't reach 40 that day, but what I forgot was the emphasis on the "Hill" part of Morgan Hill, meaning WIND.  I had never seen the course so I didn't know it was essentially built on a huge hill where the wind whipped constantly.  With a sometimes 20-30 mile an hour wind on a 35 degree day with not much sun we stalked our way around the course, to our credit, neither one of us brought up quitting.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Andy Doyle

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »
I had been playing absolutely the worst golf of my life ...

I'm with Bob.  I went from shanking the ball on the range to shooting my lifetime low of 75 on the Plantation Course at Reynold's Plantation.  To add to the strangeness, I triple bogeyed the first hole and then shot even par over the final 17.

Andy
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:08:49 AM by Andy Doyle »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »
My offbeat achievement would be finishing a round in the coldest conditions I've ever played.  Kyle Harris and I decided to play Morgan Hill one day in February, I knew going in that the high probably wouldn't reach 40 that day, but what I forgot was the emphasis on the "Hill" part of Morgan Hill, meaning WIND.  I had never seen the course so I didn't know it was essentially built on a huge hill where the wind whipped constantly.  With a sometimes 20-30 mile an hour wind on a 35 degree day with not much sun we stalked our way around the course, to our credit, neither one of us brought up quitting.

ah jesus, man! try playing elie on a freezing new years day in a kilt!

*said in groundskeeper willie style*

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »

Final round of KPV at Stone Eagle back tees.
Playing parnters Tom Renli, Jason Topp and Lou Duran.
Playing to 16 at the time(now 10.1).
First nine-I can't keep the ball on the planet.
Balls bouncing off every rock on the course. If I hit the fairway it was with the wheels of my cart.
Score 49.
Back nine--I'm on fire.. Shoot 39 with a four-putt triple on 17.
Unreal.

That was really fun, as I was riding in the cart with Jessie.  He was so pumped I could hear him hyperventillating the last few holes.  He did a great job keeping it together until the 17th green.  I was not surprised by the 4 putt, but even with it, it was a remarkable 9 holes.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »
#1) Working enough to maintain 1 happy wife and afford 4 kids.....

#2) a 69 at my home club after pumping tee shot on #1 out of bounds....

#3) not killing myself this year after trying to change swing with no success!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 10:29:20 AM »
Hitting the pin with my second shot on the 1st at TOC, being my first round on the course I very nearly walked in knowing it couldn't get any better
Cave Nil Vino

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 10:46:05 AM »
Playing in the first men's night competition of the year at my home club I had drastically opposing nines of 42-31, the latter being a career best nine hole score.

I also witnessed Paul Daley's buddy hole out on the 9th and 10th holes at the National (Moonah) for consecutive eagle 2's, a very rare feat indeed - thankfully he was my partner!!

TK
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:51:21 AM by Tyler Kearns »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »
I also witnessed Paul Daley's buddy hole out on the 9th and 10th holes at the National (Moonah) for consecutive eagle 2's, a very rare feat indeed - thankfully he was my partner!!

TK

i also did this in the summer, coincidentally at the 9th and 10th... but on the old course...

i have now mentioned this on three seperate occasions on this board over the months... i am wholly immodest

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »
Mistakenly giving away the match play championship of my flight at my home course. I was three up with four to play. My opponent and I each hit bad drives. He hit into the large stand of tree on the left of the 15th fairway. I hit completely across the 16th fairway to the right. We eventually met again on the fringe of the green, he on the left, me on the right. He hit up next to the pin. I asked him what he was laying. He said 6. I was laying 3 so I gave him the putt without even walking up to see it. I got down in 3, at which point he said he took a six. When I asked him about saying he was laying 6, he said he thought I wanted to know what the next stroke would give him. I was so flabberghasted (and shaking with anger) that I marked him as having won the hole. As I continued to stew, after loosing the next three holes, I mistakenly congratulated him and turned in the card with him as the winner 1 up. In case you wonder why I couldn't get a grip over three holes, another incident at the 17th put me off my game. Difficult par 3 with creek right in front of the green. He hit first into the water. I took extra club to make sure to clear the water and pushed slightly into the trees beside the green. The ball usually drops out of the trees next to the green. Didn't see it, so said I would take a provisional. Opponent convinced me it would be fine, so I forgo the provisional. Got to the green and the ball had kicked through the trees and out of bounds on the other side of the trees (apparently the golf gods were getting back at me for the hole-in-one there on Mother's Day). Needless to say, once again my blood was boiling. I went back to the tee and hit two straight OB and conceeded the hole.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 11:16:31 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Moore

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 11:22:06 AM »
1. Got Green Light Special off the ground with the publication of Portland Country Club - Yardage Guide.

2. Personal best tournament round with an 83 on the difficult, long and windy Sunday River Golf Club, a magnificent course if you are near Newry, ME.

3. Handily won the Maine Island Golf Tour with Dr. John Dyhrberg.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »
Mistakenly giving away the match play championship of my flight at my home course. I was three up with four to play. My opponent and I each hit bad drives. He hit into the large stand of tree on the left of the 15th fairway. I hit completely across the 16th fairway to the right. We eventually met again on the fringe of the green, he on the left, me on the right. He hit up next to the pin. I asked him what he was laying. He said 6. I was laying 3 so I gave him the putt without even walking up to see it. I got down in 3, at which point he said he took a six. When I asked him about saying he was laying 6, he said he thought I wanted to know what the next stroke would give him. I was so flabberghasted (and shaking with anger) that I marked him as having won the hole. As I continued to stew, after loosing the next three holes, I mistakenly congratulated him and turned in the card with him as the winner 1 up. In case you wonder why I couldn't get a grip over three holes, another incident at the 17th put me off my game. Difficult par 3 with creek right in front of the green. He hit first into the water. I took extra club to make sure to clear the water and pushed slightly into the trees beside the green. The ball usually drops out of the trees next to the green. Didn't see it, so said I would take a provisional. Opponent convinced me it would be fine, so I forgo the provisional. Got to the green and the ball had kicked through the trees and out of bounds on the other side of the trees (apparently the golf gods were getting back at me for the hole-in-one there on Mother's Day). Needless to say, once again my blood was boiling. I went back to the tee and hit two straight OB and conceeded the hole.

this is what i think of your opponent's behaviour:  :o

some chain of events that!... still, sounds like you may not match up with tiger in the old composure stakes though  ;)

Brian Cenci

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »
It's not a "best" but as a 5-handicap I had 21 straight holes with a bogey thru a period this year.  I had a par on #8 at Eagle Eye in Michigan on a Saturday and bogeyed out thru 18 and then the following day at my home course Walnutt Hills C.C. didn't par a hole until #12 with all bogeys thru #11.  The worst thing was I was trying to play well.

-Brian

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 01:11:51 PM »
PLayed two balls for nine holes walking (alone) in 55 minutes. Put me out for three weeks (sore back).
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back