News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas_Brown

The Concession
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:58:57 PM »
I don't really know Tony Jacklin as a golf course architect.
The wife & kids are planning a 2007 trip to the Florida Keys and Disney World.

Is The Concession worth the drive over?

The website really has a great movie: http://www.theconcession.com/

Mike_Sweeney

Re:The Concession
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:42:34 PM »
Tom,

Clearly it is better than Stone Eagle or Ballyneal. By the way, I have not played any of them!  ;)

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:57:37 PM »
Tom,

I think it is definitely worth the drive.  It is perhaps Nicklaus' best solo design effort.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »
Not to hijack this thread (sorry), but I'd like to hear what people think about the name of this course.

(No comment.)
jeffmingay.com

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:33:55 PM »
Jeff,

Perhaps we're witnessing a new trend in course names.  Heaven knows that the old names have been done to death: "Meadow Knoll Valley Hill Golf & Country Club Links".  

Perhaps the new trend will borrow from the rules of golf, so we may start to see "Provisional Golf Club" or "Rub of the Green CC", or "Attended Flagstick Club".

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
A little birdie told me today that The Concession did quite well in Golf Digest's Best New category, which will be released tomorrow.  Is that what you're referring to, Mike Sweeney?

I vaguely remember someone here saying they enjoyed the course very much.  There was an infomercial about the course featuring Nicklaus and Jacklin earlier this year on the Golf Channel.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:03:51 PM by John Kirk »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 08:13:42 PM »
Mitch,

I like Immovable Obstruction G&CC  ;)
jeffmingay.com

DTaylor18

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 08:15:25 PM »
Well, it is the Best New Private Course in America!  (According to Golf Digest)  ::)  ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »
Mitch,

I like Immovable Obstruction G&CC  ;)

I woulda pegged you for more of a "GUR Golf Club" kinda guy.... :)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
Joe,

How about: The Immovable Obstruction at GUR  :-\
jeffmingay.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 09:03:31 PM »
I nominated The Concession on a thread last week as the worst name ever.

How about "The Stroke and Distance Penalty"?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 09:16:27 PM »
My preference is for "Integral Part of the Course"

Of course in Florida one named "Lateral Water Hazard" would be more appropriate.

A very hilly course could be called "Abnormal Ground Conditions Club"

And finally, the "Nearest Point of Relief Country Club" which would need lots of trees.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 09:35:56 PM »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 09:44:45 PM »
Why not just take the name to the Rules of Golf max and call it "Disqualification G.C".?

Tim Copeland

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 09:48:15 PM »
Not to hijack this thread (sorry), but I'd like to hear what people think about the name of this course.

(No comment.)

Ole Concession is my pick
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 10:36:14 PM »
I think Van de Veldes new course is called "The Collapse"Although,completely ot,hitting the rail on the bleachers was the single worst break in Open history.

tonyt

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 12:26:04 AM »
Given the American fascination with course names including birds that either aren't located there or people wouldn't know one if they fell over one, tree types, landform names that are more whymsical than locally identifiable, and a host of other neurotic rubbish, I find "The Concession" whilst not necessarily to my liking, to be a tad refreshing.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 01:36:40 AM »
I think Van de Veldes new course is called "The Collapse"Although,completely ot,hitting the rail on the bleachers was the single worst break in Open history.

Or maybe "Rocky Horror Picture Show," which suggests both tragedy and transgender issues.  Local rules include requiring players to dress up as one of the characters, carry rice and water pistols.  

Jason McNamara

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 02:25:27 AM »
So once you join this club, you can't ever leave?

Jason

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 02:30:42 AM »
If a Texas developer got ahold of The Old Course:   "The Doublewide at St Andrews"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 08:30:34 AM »
Given the American fascination with course names including birds that either aren't located there or people wouldn't know one if they fell over one, tree types, landform names that are more whymsical than locally identifiable, and a host of other neurotic rubbish, I find "The Concession" whilst not necessarily to my liking, to be a tad refreshing.

To each their own, Tony, to each their own.  But I'm glad you're refreshed, if only a tad.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 08:36:16 AM »
I have to say that the picture looks completely unique to Florida golf.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 08:43:59 AM »
Tom, I think there is a course in lake wales you would enjoy much more that is 45 minutes from Mickyland. Email me and so arrangements can be made. I am on way to Naples right now and hopefully will either see the course of meet some that have. I am still in the no rose bowl depression.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 10:29:51 AM »
Mitch Hantman:  Assuming you have seen it, what makes the course so special?  There's been only one photo shown of it and it is taken from the air, so it's not especially revealing.

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 12:24:48 PM »

(No comment.)

I always thought chosing the name of "Secession Golf Club" had a particular purpose behind it ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back