News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re:My favourite designer is......
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2006, 03:44:02 PM »

Put me down firmly in Perry Maxwell's camp.

1. great greens
2. minimalist before minimalism was cool.

Handicap: Unknown, but really high.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2006, 03:44:30 PM »
That Jim Urbina sure is one smart cookie.   ;D

I'll take Maxwell

Reasons
1)  Built consistently good courses for low costs
2)  Can't think of one project where he underused the best attributes of the site

35 and 15

Mr. Daley, thanks for the plug on the book.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:47:05 PM by Chris_Clouser »

Michael Robin

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2006, 04:56:21 PM »
And Mr. Daley, thanks for your explanation.

grandwazo

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
C B Macdonald

in one word...."fun".  Of all the courses I have played, I believe I could play the National every day for the rest of my life and never be bored.  

Handicap: 5.0

Andy Doyle

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »
Alister MacKenzie

I've only played a couple of his designs, but:

1.  He's the architect I've been most motivated to read about and study, and
2.  When I think of all the courses in the world I really want to play, he designed the first 2 on my list

Handicap: 10.0

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2006, 08:46:42 PM »
I've been holding off replying to try to stay away from a home course prejudice......  but after today, I have to say

Ross

I had the best ball striking round I've had in months.....  Hit 12 greens and had 3 on fringe (on 3000 sq ft average greens).  Bad putting day resulted in +8.

It's a total game with Mr. Ross.

Strategy and execution.

Cheers!

Jamey
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:55:45 PM by Jamey Bryan »

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:59 PM »
Sorry, forgot (that's age for you)
Hcp:  8

Josh Smith

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
A guy that lives in Traverse City, MI...

His last name starts with D...

As many of you know, there are two living, beyond talented architects/artists that fit this description.  

I cannot Choose.  Maybe I need to play more of their courses or maybe I will never be able to choose.  (Unless I win the lotto and try and build one, then I guess I will have to choose). I think a better discussion is why you think the your favorite course from you favorite architect is so worthy.  Hard to single out the architect as the reason a course is so good, while it is his vision and leadership, many hands are involved and many small decisions are made daily to bring out the truly best product.  (think Hunter, Urbina, Hancock, Raynor, Banks and then think of all the guys under them on the shovels) At least that is what I believe.

I know if given the opportunity I wouldn't change a thing at Kinglsey or Pacific Dunes!!!!
All Hail Doak and DeVries...

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2006, 08:11:11 AM »
I've not really played enough classic courses (& none outside of GB&I) to give a considered opinion but from what I have played I'd say either MacKenzie or Braid.

If forced to choose I'd go with Mackenzie as I live less than 10 miles from Alwoodley and Moortown!

Handicap 8
Age 49
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

ForkaB

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2006, 08:36:18 AM »
Old Tom Morris

Anybody from Mackenzie and Simpson through Coore and Doak would drool to have his portfolio, even though much of it was emasculated by the Golden Age butchers (oops, architects...!).

Vis a vis age and handicap, 6 and 60, in either order, depending on the day......

Pete Garvey

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »
Ross, but of course!

Favorites:  1.  Seminole  2.  Pinehurst #2  3.  Idle Hour

Handicap:  Pro (my handicap is that we work (gladly) when y'all play)

plabatt

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »
Sean

Surprise! surprise! I am the 68 year old Yank who first voted for Braid.  I would have been flying into Inverness this year to play Brora, F and R, and Nairn (Ah yes, and Dornoch) but a bad fall has delayed the trip to next year.  My christmas present this past year was Bernard Darwins' "James Braid".  Go Jamie!

Peter

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2006, 10:44:39 AM »
Sean,

I think the results are pretty typical of what I expected.  I am surprised that Strantz was that high.  I haven't seen any of his work first hand so I can't comment.  I honestly thought Coore & Crenshaw would be there instead.

But otherwise the only other slight suprise was the voting for Braid.  I hope to be able to check his stuff out in person someday.   ;)

Why are you disappointed about Ross?

Sean_A

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:57 AM »
Sean,

I think the results are pretty typical of what I expected.  I am surprised that Strantz was that high.  I haven't seen any of his work first hand so I can't comment.  I honestly thought Coore & Crenshaw would be there instead.

But otherwise the only other slight suprise was the voting for Braid.  I hope to be able to check his stuff out in person someday.   ;)

Why are you disappointed about Ross?

Chris

I grew up on a Ross course which I think is terrific and I know quite a few Ross designs in Michigan.  There is no nonsense when it comes to Ross.  In truth, Ross is my idea of what parkland golf is.  However, I have played very little golf in the States outside Michigan and much of that is concentrated in North Carolina.  I find it a pity that Ross is not more revered.

On the flip side though, folks seem to dig Braid and Hackett more than I expected.  That is excellent news because these guys are terribly underrated.  If I chucked in Fowler and Dr. Mac that would be the five I would choose from as favourites at the moment.  Though I am badly in need of a visit to the right coast for a look at those courses before I could even come close to choosing a favourite archie.  Perhaps one day.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Allan Long

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »
This is a tough question because an architect that immediately come to mind for me is MacKenzie. My favorite course is a MacKenzie, but since I have only played 3 courses by him, I don't think that is a broad enough sample of his work. Same goes for Macdonald. I absolutely fell in love with Yale, and probably want to see NGLA more than any other course in the U.S., but Yale is the only couse of Macdonald's that I've played. Ross, Doak and Coore/Crenshaw are also high on the list, but I am going to throw out George C. Thomas, Jr.

1--Fantastic designs
2--I never tire of playing his courses, and I have never played one of his courses that I would not want to play again over and over.

Age range: 31-40
Hcp: 3.6
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

plabatt

« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2006, 01:45:15 PM »
Missing from the tally is Willie Park Jr., who has a broad resume in the UK and USA.  Maybe he is the other thread- I don't get no respect.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
Alister MacKenzie

1.)  He designed my favorite, Cypress Point and the one I would most like to see next, Royal Melborne.

2.)  Realized better than any other architect how to provide for that one thrilling shot that could cancel out the agony caused by all the other futile attempts that proceeded it.

index:  6.5
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Dan Moore

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2006, 08:20:19 PM »
In answer to the question as to my favorite (rather than who I think is the best, a question to which I do not have currently an answer though I liked Tom Huckaby's original idea  ;)) I will go the homer route with Langford Moreau.  Having played Lawsonia dozens of times I am always excited to go back and that says it all for me.  As I have seen more of their work this year, the more I appreciate the challenge and fun their courses have to offer.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:22:12 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2006, 08:15:29 AM »
This group is fairly diverse in its preferences.  A quick look puts Dr. Mac clearly on his own.  The 2ND TIER is Colt and Dye.  Neither is surprising.  The 3RD TIER is Doak, Ross, Tilly and Strantz.  I don't find it surprising that this group had Ross relatively low, just disappointing.  I bet Doak would have given his left arm 15 years ago if a group of fairly sane people said he was in a class with Tilly and Ross!  I reckon this is the only group in the world that would place Strantz so highly.  The 4TH TIER is Maxwell and Braid.  I am very surprised that Braid is so high and I bet it was Brits that voted for him.  

Ciao

As you know Sean I'm a Brit and I gave Braid an honourable mention.  I only considered architects who had worked on courses I've played. The Scottish Tourist Board have given Braid a good deal of PR recently with the creation of three seperate James Braid golf trails.  These include courses such as Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Nairn, Brora and Boat of Garten hence the level of support for him.  

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2006, 09:28:30 AM »
My favorite architect is still on this side of the turfgrass. I will not disclose his name as I don't want to swell a head that his rivals may suggest is already slightly enlarged!  ;D

One small clue: My favorite golf course on earth is Pacific Dunes. It just doen't get any better. (... and it's public!)

Favorite deceased golf architect: C.B. Macdonald.

Sean_A

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2006, 09:37:20 AM »
This group is fairly diverse in its preferences.  A quick look puts Dr. Mac clearly on his own.  The 2ND TIER is Colt and Dye.  Neither is surprising.  The 3RD TIER is Doak, Ross, Tilly and Strantz.  I don't find it surprising that this group had Ross relatively low, just disappointing.  I bet Doak would have given his left arm 15 years ago if a group of fairly sane people said he was in a class with Tilly and Ross!  I reckon this is the only group in the world that would place Strantz so highly.  The 4TH TIER is Maxwell and Braid.  I am very surprised that Braid is so high and I bet it was Brits that voted for him.  

Ciao

As you know Sean I'm a Brit and I gave Braid an honourable mention.  I only considered architects who had worked on courses I've played. The Scottish Tourist Board have given Braid a good deal of PR recently with the creation of three seperate James Braid golf trails.  These include courses such as Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Nairn, Brora and Boat of Garten hence the level of support for him.  

Andrew

Brit my ass!  You are Yorkshire through and threw.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »
D. Ross

Because one of his designs was where I learned to love(and hate) the game.

For a modern designer, it's the one who is challenging me wherever I am.  Most often Doak, C&C or Dye.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2006, 10:33:21 AM »

Andrew

Brit my ass!  You are Yorkshire through and threw.

Ciao

Sean

My accent may lead you to believe that but actually I'm half Scots (& very proud of it)!  My mother came from Glasgow and I spent many a happy childhood holiday in Scotland :)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »
Anon.

I’m a little surprised (s)he hasn’t made an appearance before in these lists.  My preference is for the older courses and it’s not always possible to state who is responsible for what.  If I nominate North Berwick as my favourite golf course architecture, perhaps ‘the committee’ might also deserve a vote.  

Age 48
H’cap 17
Let's make GCA grate again!

tlavin

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2006, 10:48:07 AM »
Tom Doak-I like Colt and Ross and MacKenzie a lot, but I prefer to admire the living!  

Age 52

Handicap 7.2

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back