News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

Re:My favourite designer is......
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 03:50:53 PM »
H S Colt

1) Routing
2) Strategy

(40 years old, H/cap 10)

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 04:16:09 PM »
Mackenzie:

An outright aesthetic genius in golf architecture with his fascinating innovation in how he applied the philosophy of Boer trench camouflage to golf architecture being a remarkable architectural breakthrough. We also may soon come to understand better just what an innovative breakthrough ANGC really was.  ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 04:27:45 PM »
Dr. MacKenzie.

1)  He built some of the most thrilling and beautiful courses in the world, and

2)  Even an average golfer can get around them and enjoy them.

Age 45, handicap 9.

(And thanks to RJ for his support!)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:35:00 PM by Tom_Doak »

LBaker

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
I like Tillie

He was a out of the box thinker and designer.  Originality is so important to the number of courses in the world today.

Parallel parking
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:29:34 PM by Lindsey_Baker »

wsmorrison

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
Colt

An early and influencial inland architect.  His Heathland courses are very strong.  Pine Valley wouldn't be what it is today without the assistance he gave to the driving force and architect of record, George Crump.

49 5/6
4.6 (with a standard deviation that is hard to believe. right, Tom?)

Honorable mention to Flynn.  He designed my favorite course in the world, Shinnecock Hills and my second favorite, Merion East.  Nobody had a better batting average.  The percentage of his courses that held USGA events is amazing.  He may just be the best and most innovative router in history.  He was a fast study--almost savant-like in determining his routings.  His use of elasticity means most of his courses have stood the test of time.  He was a transition architect with his designs in the classic era and in a modern approach which shot tested and demanded aerial approaches on some holes and aerial/ground options on others.  His greens use complexities of slopes that make for a long learning curve and are therefore perfect for private clubs.  He built with a natural style that mimiced nature (he called himself the Nature Faker) and required less maintenance over time.  Flynn clearly understood perception and knew how to use it to fool and to encourage play.  He was one of the first great superintendents in the country and a leading expert on turf grasses and maintenance.  Underappreciated but great.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 04:31:57 PM »
McKenzie, Tillighast, McDonald, Raynor, Flynn, Thompson, Strantz among the dead guys...they are did great work
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Stamm

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »
I can only go by with what I see in photos, but I'm going to cheat here and select 5, in no particular order.

1. Mackenzie- for many of the same reasons that Tom (both of them) cites above. And he wasn't afraid to position holes that created a so called imbalance to the standard of what a course should be such as at Cypress Point where it has back to back par 3's and par 5's. He put the right holes in the right spots. And the bunkers are a thing of beauty.

2. Tillinghast-Because the man never tried to repeat himself and therefore didn't allow himself to be pigeon holed. His courses varied in look and design so much.

3. Colt- Royal Portrush, Sunningdale, what he contributed to Pine Valley, and many more, need I say more? The first IMHO of the true greats. And man that furthered Mackenzie's education has to be admired.

4. Thomas- To be able to tackle that canyon in Pacific Palisades and create that course is genius. It's too bad most of his work is gone.

5. Flynn- "Speak softly and carry a big stick." The man just designed great courses. Shinnecock, Cherry Hills, Philadelphia CC, Rolling Green, HVCC, Kittansett and his contributions at Merion amongst many more.

I have only played one of Mackenzie's and none of the others so I have to go by what I see in photo's, so my descriptions of why are very shallow. But what I see of the these men make them my favorites.

35 years old
Haven't played enough to keep a handicap since my daughter has been born, but around a 10 handicap.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:50:27 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2006, 04:57:45 PM »
This thread is very very interesting to me---very interesting, for the simple reason I'm just amazed to see Michael Strantz come out in this question as well as he has. I've only seen a small part of one of the courses he did and I've only looked at one of his holes closely and carefully. BTW, it did seem strategically interesting to me and that's a bit rare to say about a par 3.

Don't let people say that GOLFCLUBATLAS.com only talks about and thinks about those architects of the Golden Age. ;)

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2006, 05:17:26 PM »
ODG: Ross. Great, intimate routings and fun for players of all stripes; his greens are endlessly subtle and fascinating- course after course offers great sets of greens. Master of the par threes without relying on proyotypes. Growing up in New England with its pleathora of Ross gems has a lot to do with my selection.

Modern: Dye. The first modern architect to challenge the modern top level player. Studied the great courses and put the concepts into the ground in such a way as to challenge the golfer physically, technically, mentally, and emotionally.

Throwback (modern minimalist): Coore and Crenshaw. Coore's design genious with Crenshaw's historical/traditionalist bent is a sure winner. (Sorry Tom Doak, but the only course of yours I've played is High Pointe. I will get to Bandon next year for the mid-am, though. Hope to (re) make your aquaintance there.)

49/+3
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Ian Andrew

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Stanley Thompson, he wasn't the best, but he remains my favourite

1. More for the chances he took and the massive evolution in his work from 1926' to 1928' which shows that a good architect can evolve into a great architect with a change in philosophy and a willingness to push their work. That's inspiration for me to continue to push myself.

2. He was a warm and funny man with a wicked sense of humour. He was playful and well liked by all those who knew him, particularly other architects; and he even built a few great courses for them too. He enjoyed entertaining all visiting architects when they came into town. He lived a great life.

John Kirk

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2006, 06:25:39 PM »
Tom Doak

1)  Tom selects properties that possess great natural beauty.  There are exceptions, such as the Rawls course in Texas, but most of his recent courses are built in unusually beautiful settings.  Tom's crew excels at transitioning the golf course into that setting.  There's lots of time inbetween shots to enjoy the scenery, and I enjoy taking note of the topography and wildlife.

2)  Tom builds wide, undulating, complex golf courses, which:
   a) result in few lost golf balls
   b) enhance the strategy of playing angles
   c) test the player's ability to hit off uneven lies
   d) don't depend on rough to defend par
   e) yield difficult and interesting putts
   f) are great fun to play, when I'm not watching the scenery go by.

48 years old, 2 handicap.  Good thread Pat.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:31:01 PM by John Kirk »

John Kirk

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »
Wayne,

I can't believe you really place Colt above Flynn.  Not only did he create your two favorite courses, but Flynn's work dominates your thoughts here on the site.  Are you sure you're not overthinking this?

Congratulations on your impending 49 9/10th birthday.

wsmorrison

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2006, 06:47:16 PM »
John,

I think with my regard for Colt, it is the timing of his work more than anything else.  He was so good so early that his influence on architecture in general is the primary reason I selected him and I fell in love with Swinley Forest.

I don't have much experience with MacKenzie, so I cannot consider him at this point.  I have a feeling that I don't like his bunkering on hills above greens.  His concepts, along with those of Behr and Jones, are fascinating though and the original Augusta National was revolutionary.

How do they get the bunkers so close to the greens on MacK's sand belt courses?

Stanley Thompson (I haven't seen any of his work) really intrigues me from photos and conversations with Ian Andrew.

Flynn's work dominates my thoughts because I know him the best by a huge margin over anyone else.  I've been studying him for over 6 years now, many of it full time.  I am now up to page 930 of the Flynn book (adding pictures and drawings to the 675 pages of text) and suspect it will end up being about 1100 typewritten pages with all inserts.  I don't know what this will translate into for book pages.  I'm guessing it will be 2 volumes of about 400 pages each with about 250,000 words.  

It looks like we'll be privately publishing this since I doubt our publisher will want to touch it as is and I'd hate to condense it very much.  We'll see...maybe we'll have a limited edition unabridged version and a commercial one.  If our publisher would return our phone calls we might have a better idea  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:52:26 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »
Sorry I am not following the rules. Modern, Doak and C&C, both use the land or move the land in a way that appears natural, very strategic holes with incredible green complexes which also maximize strategy. Classical, Tilly for same reasons as Doak and C&C, Mac/Raynor for the fun shotmaking that comes with the holes which are incorporated in their courses. I love the short game on all the above. 10 years younger or older whatever after Arkansas game today. 4 handicap.

Rob_Babcock

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2006, 07:19:20 PM »
Dr. Alister MacKenzie

1. For Cypress Point (heaven on earth) and Pasatiempo (my home club).
2. For inspiring and influencing Tom Doak who has given us some amazing courses so far and will no doubt continue to do so.

Handicap: 6 (but trending upward, thank goodness!)

Rob

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2006, 08:41:02 PM »
Pat, we have yet to hear from you.  Don't be bashful.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »
Alister McKenzie

1. For all his work in Australia (which is all I have seen of his stuff) and the influence that work had on the people he worked with there and Australian golf architecture generally

2. The Spirit of St Andrews, the best book written by a golf architect

Hcp: 1

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2006, 08:41:54 PM »
Tom Paul,

I think come spring perhaps we should do a road trip to see some Strantz down in Virginia, and perhaps South Carolina.   Just don't leave the screen door open.  ;)

As far as my favorite, I don't think anyone built better courses than Harry Colt, overall.   However, there's a modern architect who may surpass him when all is said and done.   He's a guy who spent more time than anyone in the history of the game studying courses across the world, and he also isn't afraid to break with convention.   If he manages to keep the same level of quality despite much recent success and acclaim (the achilles heel of most architects in the past), then he has a very good chance to be the greatest ever.

Handicap: Yes, isn't it obvious?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:23:37 PM by Mike Cirba »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2006, 09:10:17 PM »
No doubt it's Alister MacKenzie for me.

Two reasons:

The natural appearance of his courses, where it appears the only earth moving was flattening tees, and excavating bunkers and using the spoil to build up green sites.

His influence on modern designers who emulate the Good Doctor's design style through judicious and well-planned routing and construction.

He was blessed with great sites and lack of permitting oversight, but he was a genius at creating holes of strategic interest that remain fun and playable for all levels of ability.  His rules for golf architecture remain viable today, particularly with regard to width, alternate lines and little or no rough!

Oh yes, age 64 and handicap 12 with a bullet!  :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:17:06 PM by Bill_McBride »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2006, 09:34:27 PM »
C.B. MacDonald.

To this day, I have never had more fun playing golf than at NGLA.  I am thnkful his strong personality helped dominate early thought about what was a good or proper golf course early in this game's American history.

Tim Bert

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2006, 10:04:14 PM »
From what I've read, I think Alister MacKenzie would certainly rival anyone.  I've never played one of his courses, so I'd be kidding myself to choose him.

From what I've actually seen live and played, I'll take Doak.  My two reasons:
1) Pacific Dunes
2) Ballyneal

Jesse Jones

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 02:39:12 AM »
Dye..

1. I just love his visually intimidating style..

2. His best work can be found on Public and Private courses.
   You don't have to be connected to see his courses.

Strantz is a close second. He's the Sam Cooke of GCA, gone way too soon..

42yrs
10.1 index
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 10:02:08 PM by Jesse Jones »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 04:42:27 AM »
Either Mackenzie or Colt

Primarily for their routing and strategic designs....

HCP: 9

Mike McGuire

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2006, 01:12:53 PM »
William Langford

1- Bunkers ... the angle of repose just looks good to me. Often they work well with sand removed,

2- Greens - Bold and undulating often with reverse tiers as on this par 5.

Mike McGuire

Sean Walsh

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
Braid or Hackett,

a)I'm sure they were very different characters in different times but I feel they have done similar things for each of their countries. i.e provided a lot of very decent to great golf courses at a reasonable cost.

b) Carne, Enniscrone and Brora.

33y.o.  16hcp

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back