News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:Fishers
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »
David,

TEPaul's portrayal of Hay Harbor is well, wrong.

Hay Harbor Club and Fishers Island Club are separate entities with a few people belonging to most. Since it is private, the idea that all families send their children to Hay Harbor to play is incorrect.

The golf course at Hay Harbor precedes Fishers Island by at least 20 years, maybe longer. This history of the course is, as of right now, muddled.  Pierce Rafferty, the director of the Henry L. Ferguson Museum is working on a history of Hay Harbor Club and I have tried to be of some assistance in regards to the golf course. Very little has been uncovered, and what has leads to more questions than answers. We do know that the clubhouse once sat next to what is now the first green, and the tee for what is now the first hole sat on the other side of the road from its present location, making the  hole a slight dogleg right.

Pierce now believes the golf course is in its third incarnation. As some point Seth Raynor was contacted about the “Hay Harbor Club” golf course. What he did there is unknown. Only one hole to my eyes, the downhill sixth, has any bit of Raynor too it, sort of a one-shot version of the what is now the 10th at Wanumetonomy in Rhode Island.

Many people consider the second hole at Hay Harbor the most difficult on the island. It is a narrow, uphill par-4 with the second shot playing over a natural gouge in front of the green that takes up the right two-thirds of the fairway.

Maintenance practices are very basic. Fairways have been mowed with gang units but that will change in ’07. Aeration takes place thanks to Fishers Island loaning equipment for the process. The superintendent is also a science teacher at the island school and the only fulltime course employee. He adds two workers in the summer.

I have a Google Earth Image of the course but lack the computer skills to post it.

It is worth playing and I hope some day you have the chance.

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 12:48:57 PM »
"TEPaul's portrayal of Hay Harbor is well, wrong."

Well, that would be little wonder, Anthony, since I was joking about the little no-neck monsters being out of sight and out of mind. Well sort of joking, particularly considering a few of the generational families I know who grew up spending their summers at Fishers say that's precisely what often happened. But maybe they're, well, wrong. Maybe they were never supposed to be there but for some reason nobody ever bothered to tell them that.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:56:39 PM by TEPaul »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 02:27:03 PM »
TE,

Since, I assume, David could not see your expression while typing your reply, there was no way for him to know if you were serious or just joshing. I thought a serious question deserved a serious answer. But not that serious, I was naked while typing the reply.

Anthony

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »
Anthony my friend

I'm not surprised that you were typing while naked but the real question everyone wants answered is whether you were naked during your radio interview for your book last week?

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 05:45:56 PM »
Geoffrey,

Completely naked... from the neck up! I swear and I'm not ashamed.

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
"But not that serious, I was naked while typing the reply."

Cool.

I'll have to try that. Was it inspirational?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 06:04:02 PM »
"But not that serious, I was naked while typing the reply."

Cool.

I'll have to try that. Was it inspirational?

I try to avoid that while viewing stuff on GCA because it tends to make objects look larger than they really are.  Sort of the opposite of that side view mirror phenonmenon.

p.s. Hay Harbor looks to be a blast.   Speaking of ancient American architecture!! ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 06:06:11 PM by Mike Cirba »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »
Tom,

Inspirational to me and apparently humorous to my neighbors who I found pointing and laughing. Even so, there was this freedom I had while replying that I never felt before. I suggest everyone try it.

Anthony

James Bennett

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »
Anthony

may I suggest you try wearing a kilt.  Or perhaps boxer shorts.  Perhaps pleated pants.  All of these will increase your ability to 'express' yourself.

If you do get a kilt, make sure the wool is not too prickly.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 08:30:49 PM »
James B:

This is precisely why I am part of this wonderful world we call GolfClubAtlas.com: You step right up to the plate -or is it the tee box? -  and give me extremely useful information that can not only improve my posting, but also make me a better person, and a more comfortable person.

With kindest regards,

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back