News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re:And the #1 course in Florida is...
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 10:45:57 PM »
Seminole, Mountain Lake, Pine Tree, then 5 or 6 more in the very good clubs.

Are you saying that in a discussion of "Best Course in Florida" the name Mountain Lake comes up?

Oh my.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 11:48:56 PM »
No I say Seminole. Mountain Lake is in the list of 6 to 8 very good courses. Mountain Lake is not long enough to be a State Am type course but that does not take away from its quality to me.

John_Conley

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 12:19:35 AM »
No I say Seminole. Mountain Lake is in the list of 6 to 8 very good courses. Mountain Lake is not long enough to be a State Am type course but that does not take away from its quality to me.

JIW, Jupiter Hills, Pine Barrens, and a few other modern courses hold up very well.  I've even heard some high praise for Red Stick.  Mountain Lake is a nice place, but I find it a shock it makes anyone's short-short list in a state with over 1,000 courses.

Tastes differ, I guess.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 12:23:22 AM »
If you have to pretty your course with flowers and plantings......you are in trouble
Yes, That Augusta National is in serious trouble.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 04:41:03 AM »
Does anyone know when TPC Sawgrass reopens? Nothing on the website.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 05:32:24 AM »
Mike - see Shackelford's website.  I believe TPC opens this weekend with the first golfer off being the first golfer off in 1980 - some original member.  

Geoff says the course will be effectively unchanged from the white and blue tees and 200 yards longer for the pros.

JC

Mike_Sweeney

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2006, 06:03:30 AM »
...Highland Reserve - as the first meeting place of GCAers Sweeney and Bonnar.

Actually, I wish more GCAers would go and play Sun Air. I think it has 5 or 6 really strong holes, e.g., there's a cracking short par 4 (6th?) with a dogleg double-leap over water which is as strategic/penal as they come! Okay, there's a bit of typical home-lined Florida fairways, but probably less than Southern Dunes. Great Architecture it ain't, but it's also dead cheap and always deserted (in December at least).

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 08:44:42 AM »
Looks like Donald Trump is correct naming his course #1 in Florida. He ordered a windy day yesterday for the first round of his $1 million LPGA Event and it blew the best 2 plays almost out of the tournament.

"How did he know"?

;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 09:24:11 AM »
Before seeking a # 1 Ranking in the State of Florida, perhaps seeking a # 1 Ranking in Palm Beach County would be a good first step, and right now, I don't believe they're in the top 5.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »
Mike, PGA Tour dot com also has the story complete with pictures of the new clubhouse.

Here's a construction pic of the first tee.

http://www.pgatour.com/photos/golf_sawgrass_renovation
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »
You people are two pages into this thread and you haven't even come close to the #1 course in Florida yet. You're all pathetic!

Hint: It's the only signature course of the only Timucuan Indian golf course architect in the history of golf course architecture.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:27:02 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 02:26:06 PM »
I'll even give you idiots a better hint of the #1 course in Florida. It's architect was Tommy Birdsong.

Or was it Songblood or Bloodsong or maybe even Birdblood?

Oh well, I'm sure you get the picture.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:29:08 PM by TEPaul »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
TE, idiot is a pretty strong word for a topic which Pat has not chimed in on yet. Seminole has been noted as the best. Seminole makes a lot of lists as the best.

Sean Leary

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »
Its gotta be Fernandina (sp) Beach Municipal in an upset over Seminole...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 06:23:27 PM »
Hold the presses...after watching the playoff of the LPGA today, the waterfall at the 17th hole is outstanding. Best waterfall I've seen. I didn't see any shots of the prison, though. Trump is right. TI is #1!!!
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 08:43:14 PM »
Trump is #1 ;D, Annika couldn't even make the cut
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:49:22 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back