News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re:The ultimate test. What about the architecture
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 01:27:50 PM »
I believe the question Patrick is asking is:

What aspect(s) of a course's architecture make(s) you want to play that course again and again?

And insofar as it's NOT the architecture, or any aspect(s) thereof, that makes you want to walk directly from 18 green to 1 tee: Never mind!

Those other reasons are for a different thread.

Am I right (for once), Patrick?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Michael Hayes

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 01:29:23 PM »
Three times in my life have I actually went directly from 18 green back to the 1st tee, no pee, no beer, no nothing:

1. First time at Cruden Bay.  I was overwhelmed by the entire experience.

2. First time at Bandon Dunes, circa 1999.  Played 50 consecutive holes until dark.  Something so special practically in my own backyard.

3.First time on the New Course.  Shot 72 and thought I was a stud, 83 the second time around. ::)
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »
Dan:

I'd agree that's what Patrick is asking.

I'll just be very curious as to details which clarify one's answers here.  Every course so far mentioned, other factors would have to be involved.  I know he doesn't want to hear about them... that just doesn't mean they don't exist.

But OK, I'll stop being a bad boy and just try to answer his questions.

Thus I refer back to Adam's answer.  But whoops!  That too goes beyond "architecture" in that it requires the right "medium" for play... which to me means way more than architecture....

So I guess I ought just simply say:

choices to be made on shots (ie strategy required);
at least some heroic possibilities involved;
interesting greens and surrounds, making the game involve more than dart-throwing.

All of those things get me particularly jazzed.

And my specific course examples remain the obvious.

TH

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
When one walks off the 18th green and reflects on the last few hours, isn't the urge to return to the 1st tee dependent upon the fun you had while being challenged by the golf course ?

If the golf course was too difficult, above your ability to cope, and/or score, that wouldn't seem to have been an enjoyable round.

If the golf course was gimmickie, I could see one  avoiding repeat play.

If the golf course offered little in the way of challenge and sport, one would be hard pressed to want another go.

But, if the combination of the challenge and the enjoyment is just right, why wouldn't you want to return to the first tee ?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »
TOC, Cypress Point, Pacific Dunes and I have done it several times, R Dornoch, Macrihanish, even Muirfield, North Berwick, Turnberry, my home club Oakbourne CC and childhood club Bayou Desiard CC. Actually there are many for me. Pacific dune sis the one which makes the mind crave more each time i play it. There is a place called Sand Hills and of course much like TOC, lst but far from least NGLA.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 06:18:10 AM »
The first time that I played Merion.  We were to play the afternoon @ Moselem Springs but instead got the caddies fed and went right to #1.  
It seemed necessary.  I needed to find out why it played so much longer than it's yardage and more difficult than it appeared.  That's when I knew how special Merion truly is.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back