News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:The rating game, a personal story...
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2006, 12:30:21 PM »
Greg,
Is it a meshing of all of the above? If so where is the weighting placed? A poorly constructed drainage system that is compensated for by talented hardworking staff is a consideration(black mark) or no?

A great question and better formed that what I was getting at. ON that point it is one I'd personally find as a superior mark to be awarded.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
Paul Thomas,

Cypress Point, Sand Hills, Five Farms...do I have to go on..Why don't you fess up and save me the trouble..

John,

I have no idea of the reason for your animus directed toward Paul Thomas but if you think he played Cypress because of his rater status , you are flat out wrong.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »
Of course he didn't...I was using Cypress as an example of why term limits for raters could work.  In the short 2 years since Paul Thomas has found this site and or become a rater he has played enough courses to be a valuable contributor to any list.  I would love to see a list of the courses he has played to see if I am wrong.

I did go back and say a 6 or 10 year term could be acceptable...I recently reached out to Paul saying I would never mention his name again if he would simply post under his real name.  I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding between me an Paul and wish we could put this behind us...that is why I have come half way.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2006, 02:24:38 PM »
Barn -

Paul did not play Five Farms as a rater either, but as my guest. He was, as have all GCA guests of mine have been, an absolute gentleman to play golf with. In fact, I bet you two would get along just fine. I will make the effort to get you two together as well.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »
Jim,

I would love that...I'm sure Paul Thomas is a great guy.  Let's make it Paul Thomas day because if we all say enough nice things about him he will want to post under his own name.

PThomas

« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »
John you are so full of it...you give me all sorts of S**t and then today do some half-ass apology - as long as I do what you want- and expect me to all of a sudden forget all your bull

if you are truly sorry then stop giving me S**t and then maybe I'll accept your apology sometime...why it bothers you so much that I don't include my last name I have no idea...I'm not hiding from anyone, believe me, especially you

you are the poster boy for tillting at windmills...you claimed to have no better causes to spend your time on...try harder, there's plenty of charities that need your time and money

maybe even once in awhile you could throw in a legitimate comment about golf course architecture on GCA, instead of spewing your personal garbage or Devil's advocate - type positions which you often seem to take just because they are contrary to commonly-held positions and which oftentimes make no sense

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PThomas

« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »
Barn -

Paul did not play Five Farms as a rater either, but as my guest. He was, as have all GCA guests of mine have been, an absolute gentleman to play golf with. In fact, I bet you two would get along just fine. I will make the effort to get you two together as well.

Jim

well Jim if you ever make that happen I will nominate you for the Nobel Peace Prize my friend!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
...that is why I have come half way.

John,

Your perception of half way is very similar to my wife's!!

Mr Hurricane,

If you can get Jaka, Paul, Childs and Conley in one group, you Taylor, Mucci and Golden in another group, I will pay the bill and come down to BCC and caddy. :D

PThomas

« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »
...that is why I have come half way.

John,

Your perception of half way is very similar to my wife's!!

thank you Mike

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2006, 02:49:01 PM »
Mike,

I can not and or do not expect Paul Thomas to forget all the cruel things I have done to him.  I can not or do not expect Paul Thomas to like me.  I do not understand how me reaching out and saying I am sorry and that I will never condem or mention him again if he simply abides by Ran's wishes and posts under his own name is not meeting him half way.

Geoffrey Childs and I have worked out our differences for reasons that may not be clear to either of us...perhaps if you think Paul Thomas and I are worth the effort you could suggest what we might do to reach an understanding.  At the very least you must agree that I have taken a first step.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2006, 02:52:36 PM »
2:49 pm The sun, moon and stars must be aligned

John K is spending the entire morning apologizing to Paul T, raters...the Prosaic extra strength must be kicking in ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PThomas

« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
John:  since you are so hell-bent on following Ran's "rules", how come you don't follow the one that says posts are supposed to be about golf course architecture?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »
John:  since you are so hell-bent on following Ran's "rules", how come you don't follow the one that says posts are supposed to be about golf course architecture?

Paul Thomas,

I will consider that a half way offer of your own.  You post under your own name and I will only post about golf course architecture.  The first time I stray you can go back to your fake name and I will honor my intitial offer to never mention you or condem you again.  It is a win/win.

PThomas

« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2006, 03:08:22 PM »

Paul Thomas,

I will consider that a half way offer of your own.  You post under your own name and I will only post about golf course architecture.  The first time I stray you can go back to your fake name and I will honor my intitial offer to never mention you or condem you again.  It is a win/win.

first of all, I must correct you again:  it's not my fake name

now, let's be clear about this, because I make take this deal only because you have promised to ONLY discuss GCA and not give grief to anyone...you wont' give ANYONE bull s++t about ANYTHING?  no more rater bashing for example?    you'll only post about the architecture of golf courses?

if you agree to that I shall put my last name on again....and you better believe I shall call you out if you don't follow your word

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2006, 03:10:48 PM »
I agree to only discuss golf course architecture...I may disagree with someones opinions on what they think is either good, bad or great...but it will only be in reference to the architecture.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:12:59 PM by John Kavanaugh »

PThomas

« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2006, 03:13:06 PM »
I agree to only discuss golf course architecture...I may disagree with someones opinions on what the think is either good, bad or great...but it will only be in reference to the architecture.

fine....and don't forget I'll be watching those posts of yours

Jim Franklin

« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »
Sweeney -

You crack me up. I would love to play with Patrick and would love celebrating ND beating SC in a few weeks with him. Also, I would love to tee it up with you one of these days so let's get a date inthe calendar for crying out loud. You, me , Mucci, and Taylor.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2006, 09:59:21 AM »
I would love to play with Patrick and would love celebrating ND beating SC in a few weeks with him.

The very soul of college football shrieks.  Why on earth would anyone want to CELEBRATE such a catastrophe, such a triumph of evil over good?

And here I thought I liked you, Jim.    

Oh well, not to worry, ain't gonna happen.

;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 10:00:18 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2006, 10:02:30 AM »
Huck,

I might even cheer for ND that day!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »
Huck,

I might even cheer for ND that day!!!

Understood.  I've come to realize over the years that USC fans are few and far between.  I just also had thought that right-minded people could see the greater evil...

So you to prepare for sorrow.  The good news is the sorrow won't run too deep, as I know you have no love for the Irish... and neither does Jim.

TH

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2006, 10:08:32 AM »
Now if ND were to play Rutgers in a bowl game I would expect to see Pat and in the end, I imagine, I would be waving at him from the Rutgers side.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2006, 10:48:35 AM »
Huck,

Alas my prohecy has proven correct... WVU will have played at least three teams rated in the TOP 25. Two in the Top 10... and one service actually has the schedule rated 10th in the nation (absurd perhpas but...).

Now...
Rooting for Tiger's boys in a cpuple of weeks
Then for Arkansas to beat Florida
Sorry but Cal needs to beat USC
USC beats Notre Dame
WVU beates mighty Rutgers and voila there you have the good guys back in the title hunt.

Still not sold on Rutgers?????

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2006, 11:23:05 AM »
As a Rutgers grad anything that approaches athletic proficiency deserves credit - through just give it time, as they did with basketball, they will figure out a way to become a loser.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2006, 11:28:18 AM »
Huck -

It REALLY pains me to cheer for the Irish against ANYBODY, but the lovefest for USC is becoming unbearable. If the Irish win this year, I won't have to cheer for them for another 10 years. I blame ESPN for me having to cheer against SC.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2006, 11:28:25 AM »
Greg - my humble apologies for the delay in posting this... but good lord were you right about Rutgers, and good lord was I wrong.  But I imagine I am FAR from alone in that status.

;D

In any case, I am rooting like hell for them to beat WVU - and if they do, I say they deserve their shot - even more than my beloved Trojans, who sadly likely would get it over them if they beat Cal, ND, UCLA.  Undefeated and wins over three top 10 teams speaks loudly to me... and also underscores why we damn well need a real playoff.

So go you Scarlet Knights!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back