News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Aaron Katz

In defense of the golf cart
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:14:27 PM »
The golf cart receives so much punishment here.  I feel the need to step to its defense.  I see at least two wonderful things about carts:

First, they make courses like Kapalua Plantation possible (no way does that course get built without the existence of golf carts).

Second, the make it possible to pay 25 holes of golf in 2 hours.  Last week, I teed off the first tee of Wintonbury Hills at 3:08 pm.  The course was completely empty.  I left the course at 5:15 having played a full round of 18 holes, plus playing holes 10, 11, 12 (twice more), 16, 17, and 18 again!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:14:46 PM by Aaron Katz »

Cliff Hamm

Re:In defense of the golf cart
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »
Third....they allow those with disabilities or otherwise who have difficulty walking to enjoy the game.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:32:30 PM »
I do think they have a place in the game based on some of the aforementioned arguments.  Walking is terrific however, taking my son for his first ride on the golf course is something that I will never forget!  Seeing the wonderment in his eyes could only be captured on this special ride.  It was the start of our special time together on the course.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »
Carts pay the way to keep fees lower for the non-cart users, allow many people to continue to enjoy this great passion, allow resorts to build more holes and keep more of us working.

We (4) also were able to play all 3 courses at Firestone in one day, all 45 holes at Grand Cypress in 6 hours.

I also remember playing the 36 hole final round in the 1973 Danish Open, 3 players per group, walking, in 5.5 hours total. I think the course was named Skovshoved or something and was surprised (a HaHa ?) when I first arrived and found a path from the carpark to the clubhouse of over 400 yards. It was the fastest and firmest course that I had ever played and it was all due to the fact they had 2000 of the Queen's elk roaming the course.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
Carts pay the way to keep fees lower for the non-cart users, allow many people to continue to enjoy this great passion, allow resorts to build more holes and keep more of us working.

We (4) also were able to play all 3 courses at Firestone in one day, all 45 holes at Grand Cypress in 6 hours.

I also remember playing the 36 hole final round in the 1973 Danish Open, 3 players per group, walking, in 5.5 hours total. I think the course was named Skovshoved or something and was surprised (a HaHa ?) when I first arrived and found a path from the carpark to the clubhouse of over 400 yards. It was the fastest and firmest course that I had ever played and it was all due to the fact they had 2000 of the Queen's elk roaming the course.

What is the West Course at Firestone like? Any good?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:56:32 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
Hummer makes a golf cart now.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 06:29:44 PM »
OK, now that you have started this thread, I am going to play the grumpy old curmudgeon and let fly some responses.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 06:34:25 PM »

I played Black Mesa recently. The fairways were in bad shape from cart traffic, with lots of bare ground and clumpy sections where your ball came to rest on bare ground between clumps. Now I suppose one solution would be to raise fees and put more work into keeping the fairways pristine, and I strongly suspect prices will go up for everyone.

The USGA says carts cause damage that raises costs!

Many courses charge you for the cart whether you use it or not!

Now how is it making it cheaper for the walker??????????????????????
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 06:35:30 PM »
Third....they allow those with disabilities or otherwise who have difficulty walking to enjoy the game.

I don't think anyone has ever criticized carts as a way for the disabled and injured to enjoy the game.

IMHO, there's golf and then there's cart golf--two related, but wholly separate activities.  I prefer the former.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 06:37:57 PM »
Second, the make it possible to pay 25 holes of golf in 2 hours.  Last week, I teed off the first tee of Wintonbury Hills at 3:08 pm.  The course was completely empty.  I left the course at 5:15 having played a full round of 18 holes, plus playing holes 10, 11, 12 (twice more), 16, 17, and 18 again!

You weren't playing golf, you were playing cartball! If you want to hit the ball that often, I suggest you find a driving range to your liking!

Besides, what makes you think you played particularly fast? A buddy and I can play our empty course in 2 hours walking. Put a buddy in your cart and then chase 2 balls and see how you do!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 06:40:07 PM »
I do think they have a place in the game based on some of the aforementioned arguments.  Walking is terrific however, taking my son for his first ride on the golf course is something that I will never forget!  Seeing the wonderment in his eyes could only be captured on this special ride.  It was the start of our special time together on the course.

You can get the same effect by taking your son to the amusement park. Are you going to sign him up for bumper car ball instead of soccer? Why don't we leave some of the sport in sport?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:01 PM »
Hummer makes a golf cart now.

As good a reason as any I have heard to outlaw them on the golf course.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot most of the "smiley" faces I wanted to put in my posts.
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
 ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »
Truth be told, the most compelling reason for carts is so golf can be played everywhere. I know many courses that simply should not be played without one [yes, I know some of you madmen could, but why WOULD you?]. People who do not live in flat lands SHOULD still be able to have courses to play ..... period.

Reality intrudes again! For most of golf history, people with wealth, who mostly live in flatlands and waterway cities. Then, as money spread to the farmlands and outcountry, golf courses flowed and rolled. Now even we mountain rednecks occasionally want to spend a few bucks for golf. Again, yes, you MIGHT survive a walking round at ER, Hidden Cove etc ...... but why would you try?

Doug

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »
Doug,

If you can play golf on it, why can't you walk it?

Or are we simply talking about the need for chairlifts between holes?

Aaron Katz

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »

You weren't playing golf, you were playing cartball! If you want to hit the ball that often, I suggest you find a driving range to your liking!

Besides, what makes you think you played particularly fast? A buddy and I can play our empty course in 2 hours walking. Put a buddy in your cart and then chase 2 balls and see how you do!

Ha!  I've broken two hours walking on several occassions.  But I'm not sure I could get 25 holes in walking in 130 minutes.  

As for the "cart ball" comment, I had a lot of fun playing, but it definitely felt like a different game.  It was the first time I've taken a cart since Kapalua on my honeymoon.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
Aaron,

You have to give me some concession for being a fat old man.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 08:13:10 PM »
Garland;

It doesn't take 'chairlift' verticality to make a cart strongly preferred. Golf courses amount to 8 or so miles, and if you are going up and down mere 100ft elevations over and over, you will find those clubs [and your legs] getting a bit uneasy. Plays badly with your coordination too.

Again, WHY try that when you can ride, STILL doing quite a bit of walking [does anyone get to drive to every shot?], and finish withouts faints or heart palpatation? Garland, I promise that if you DO walk Eagle Ridge [a magnificent course], I will applaud you even while shaking my head. I have walked in the mountains all my life, and I will relax and let our 'advanced technology' do the work.  ;)

Doug

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
Doug,

I'm sorry, but I am significantly overweight, and I walk hills all the time while playing golf. I don't see what the problem is.

Check this out for hills (it is at over 7000 feet in elevation).
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=26395

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back