News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SB

Club de Golf Lachute - Lachute, Quebec
« on: November 07, 2006, 02:24:01 PM »
I recently had the opportunity to ride around this course in the rain and was impressed.  HUGE fairways, massive greens,, and some pretty interesting bunkering including a lot of cross bunkering.  I looked it up and found it to be apparently one of Stanley Thompson's more notable projects.  Can anyone tell me anything about it and how it is to play?

Philippe Binette

Re:Club de Golf Lachute - Lachute, Quebec
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 02:37:29 PM »
The no 1 course is the older one.

It's a fun course to play, really well routed. Has a lot of potential.

When I played it it was firm and fast.

I don't know what no 2 is like.

Chris Parker

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:54:42 PM »
Here's the website:
http://www.golflachute.com/
I hope you understand French!
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
I played there in some Ontario/Quebec CPGA matches in the 70s and did not recall anyone saying it was a Stanley Thompson course.  But then again I was born on, and played for my first 18 years the Huntsville Downs Golf Club, before I knew it was a Thompson design. My father had worked on the Royal York course before moving to maintain the Downs. It was a good nine holes, with only one original bunker (placed in the middle of the fairway 150 yards from the tee on a 210 yard par three #7). It also had a superb 490 yard par 5 with a blind punch bowl green (#5).  
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:01:26 PM »
Thats very interesting info Gary.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but have you played the Downs in recent years, Gary? There's a new nine with a couple of interesting holes, including a wicked slalom at the 17th.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:04:48 PM by Guy Nicholson »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:09:32 PM »
I'm intrigued guys -- I haven't seen either of these. Gary, where would Huntsville rank among the Thompson courses you've seen? As for Lachute, Barclay's book lists it as an interesting later Thompson work (1947). Do any Thompson aspects remain?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

SB

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 09:49:46 AM »
Robert, there's some great old pictures at

http://www.stanleythompson.com/a_showcase.html

(select Lachute)

The trees have obviously grown since the course was built, but the course has an old feel to it and my hunch is that not much has changed.

Lachute also hosted the ladies du Maurier tournament in the 70's.

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:04:22 AM »
Rob, I believe the original routing of the front 9 at Huntsville still exists, although I suspect most of the Thompson details have been lost.

There are a couple noteworthy holes on that front 9 (2,4) and a few on the new back nine as well. Not worth the drive from Toronto, but worth a play if in the area...and certainly a good value for the Muskoka area.

I haven't heard anything about Lachute, but the pics don't look promising (bowling alley). It seems the years have not been kind to most Thompson courses, although it is encouraging to see that a few clubs are doing something about it (Kawartha, Cataraqui, etc)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 04:13:33 PM »
Guy: I have not played the Downs back nine yet. When I do get back we always seem to end up at Deerhurst, a course I really get beat up on.
Robert: I can't say where I could rank it and I have played most Thompson courses - its better than either nine at Cutten, with TLC could be as good as Burlington, better and similar to North Bay.  The more I think about Huntsville Downs the more I realize how good many of the holes were/are. The second hole is superb, the green surrounded on three sides with a mound and I would guess at one time, bunkers (pre 1948). The uphill 3rd with exposed granite in the landing area predates McBroom, the 4th, 5th, 6th (the pond was spring fed using hollowed out cedar logs for pipes), the 7th par three reminds many of Cape Breton Highlands, the 8th and 9th.  I just realize that the 8th hole also had a bunker, short and to the left of the green, and behind the mounds behind the green there was a narrow strip of sand. Its all coming back now, I played the course from the age of 3. Is the old Camp Bordon course a Thompson? many of the same features.  

The original Bigwin Inn course had a fine collection of 18 holes, it wasn't a Banff or Jasper but almost.  I got to play it every day for one summer in the 60s (I worked nights).

When's the Canadian GCA Invitational?

Do you know Stanley Thompson, a pro who must be in his late 60s, related, great story teller, still lives in family home in Cabbagetown?  He's worth a story.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back