News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean McCue

Sagebrush
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:11:32 PM »
Here is an interesting article from Lorne Rubenstein about one of the co-designers Armen Suny.  He has not gotten much credit for his involvement in the project until now.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061031.wsptrube31/GSStory/GlobeSportsGolf/home
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

Bob Jenkins

Re:Sagebrush
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:55:33 PM »

Sean.

Thanks for posting that article. Moving so little material in a terrain like that, I assume there is going to be a lot of target golf. No?

Also, I recall Jeff Mingay posting some earlier info and pics on this course and he indicated it was going to be VERY private with a small lodge for the developers and small membership. If so, is there going to be a chance for the public and people like us to get out to the course?

I see you are from Colorado and Armen Suny was previously at Cherry Hills. You know him? How are they getting away with moving so little earth?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:29:36 AM »
Bob,

Don't believe everything you read  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Robert Thompson

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »
Dick Zokol, the former PGA Tour player behind Sagebrush, intends it to be very private, along the lines of Redtail in Canada. That means it'll be tough to get access to....
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »
Take a look:

Another private retreat...

www.sagebrushclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:00:29 PM »
Zokol and I were just chatting about this thread and Lorne's column, which kinda incorrectly suggests Armen Suny's one of the designers of the golf course.

With his extensive experience and knowledge, Armen's an integral part of the development team here, at Sagebrush. But he's working principally on matters related to construction materials, future maintenance and irrigation. He's also been very helpful to Zokol, and his business partner Terry Donald, in regard to attracting investment in the project over the past few years and more.

I'm running the golf course construction on a day-to-day basis, shaping bunkers and other features as well. And Zokol, the club's visionary, is participating with the design of the golf course too. But, there's no question who the principal course architect is at Sagebrush: Rod Whitman.

Sagebrush will be very private, with a relatively small roster of members. However, the plan's not for the club to be Augusta National-exclusive. Quite the contrary actually. Dick just stressed the club will be very accommodating to people who appreciate golf in its purist form. In other words, if you're interested in visiting Sagebrush for the right reasons (not as a magazine ranking panelist looking for a free round and a complimentary stay in the lodge), you'll likely be welcomed by Zokol, himself.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 01:11:53 PM »
Also Bob, our style isn't to move mountains to build golf courses. Neither is Zokol's, or Suny's. Where we can, we'll always leave well enough alone. And, there are more than a few places at Sagebrush where this is the case.

There are also a few holes where we're doing quite a bit of earth-moving and shaping. The trick is to ensure that you, and others, have no idea which holes were built and which ones were found. That's what we're working on now. And, Rod's had great success in this regard throughout his career.  

I spoke with Lorne when he was out at Sagebrush Monday. However, I guess I wasn't around when earth-moving was discussed. Truthfully, at this point, we couldn't guess what the final tally on earth-moving might be. In fact, we'll probably never know. We just don't work that way.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:13:11 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »
Jeff,

I think it is great that you move as little as possible. I was just thinking that it may be a difficult strategy in that terrain, as I recall it.  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 01:40:06 PM »
Bob,

Again, there are certain holes at Sagebrush that require very little earthwork and others that definitely need to be built. Surprisingly though, I think we'll be moving less dirt than would probably be typical at most courses laid-out across the side of a mountain!
jeffmingay.com

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »
I have to admit that’s good to hear there’s a little hope for us to be able to play the course when it opens  8)

Here are some of my pictures from when I was up at Sagebrush a couple weeks ago. It was such a beautiful day and my dad and I were very fortunate that Jeff gave us tour of the site. Thanks again, Jeff.

A lot of work has been done up there lately including an impressive entrance road that brings you up to the plateau above the lake where the course is located. Most of the holes have been cleared through the native areas so you get a good idea what the course will look like. I think the best aspect of the land is how wide open it is. The land has a lot of movement but you get a feeling of being away from everything out there.  

1st  hole from tee (397 yards). It gets windy around Nicola Lake, as seen by the uprooted port-o-potty!

1st hole from behind green.

2nd hole from tee area (600 yards).

2nd hole green.

View from 2nd hole green.

8th hole from tee (480 yards).

9th hole from behind green (410 yards).

10th hole from tee (99 yards).

11th hole from tee (453 yards).

13th hole from tee area. The 12th and 13th holes have been switched around and are not correct on the website.

18th hole (talk about a green location!)

The million dollar view

Jeff and I on the 3rd green.

Here is the link to JJohnson’s pictures from his visit to the site earlier this summer. By comparing the pictures you can see the work that has been accomplished.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25214;start=msg469801#msg469801

Jeff:
Thanks for clearing that up about Armen Suny, I was wondering how he was associated with the project. How much longer are you guys going to be working up there this fall?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 10:17:20 PM »
Interesting photos, Andrew. It's amazing how much things (including the weather) have changed since your visit.

How much longer will be working there this fall? Good question. The weather in B.C.'s interior is a bit unpredictable heading into winter, so we're playing it day-to-day.

We figure we might be able to keep things moving 'til Christmas.
jeffmingay.com

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 10:35:44 PM »
Yeah, the weather in Vancouver has been beautiful for September and October too, then bam! November hits and it has been raining ever since.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 11:43:08 AM »
Lookin' good, Jeff!

Thanx for posting the pics Andrew. It really is a neat location. It'll be great to see the finished product.

JJ

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
Hi Jim. A lot's happened since your visit earlier this year.

Our plan is to have seed in the ground, everywhere, by the end of next summer. That should ensure the course will be open late spring/early summer 2007.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back