News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Question for Supers - Fescue length on bunker faces
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:43:25 PM »
Hi,

In my "I was wrong" thread about Merion from last night, one of the things discussed was that the largely fescue grass faces of the bunkers have been cut down fairly short (I'd estimate 3 inches), probably trimming for the winter.

My question is; at what length do these grasses need to be kept during normal playing months, and especially hot, humid summers, to remain vital and vibrant?   Can they thrive in being kept short, or does the plant need to grow-out to fully nourish itself?

Frankly, they looked pretty good wearing a crewcut, and I'm looking for answers on whether the short look is one that wears well all year from an agronomy standpoint.

Thanks!
Mike

TEPaul

Re:Question for Supers - Fescue length on bunker faces
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »
No, those Merion fescue surrounds do not like regular crewcuts in the season. Did you not see the course enough this season? Matt Shaeffer had them looking like some hirsute 1960s hippie with hair down close to his waist. I've had some pretty long hair in my time but I don't recall any barber actually taking out a acetylene torch in the fall and giving me a haircut with it.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »
Mike - Matt had a great issue on high grass in his July report to the membership.  It was an effort to educate us on how to make grass thick or thin.
His comment was "if you want grass to get thicker, cut it shorter."
"If you want grass to get thinner or weaker, you let it go to seed.  What happens when a grass goes to seed is that it uses up all it available carbohydrates to produce seed, and consequently, it leaves the plant weaker, because it no longer has those reserves."
I'm assuming that our grass is no longer going to seed, come November.  

Willie_Dow

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:07:17 AM »
By the way, Tom and Mike, the surrounds do look much better.

I'd be interested to know when grasses, and which grasses go to seed ?  Do all types go at the same time, or are fescues on a different schedule ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back