News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Who did Fownes get so much right?
« on: June 01, 2003, 10:38:56 AM »
With the fairways and greens being returned to their original width/size, with RTJ bunkers being removed and with trees being removed, the design of Henry and William Fownes now just stares the golfer in the face.

With the clutter gone, one is free to marvel at how good each and every hole is at Oakmont to the point where one can argue that such greats as Ross and Tillinghast never designed a course to match the work that Henry and William Fownes performed at Oakmont.

I understand in part how Crump got so much right as he freely engaged in discussion with numerous great architects on site at Pine Valley and specifically paid Colt as a consultant. However, there is no record that I have seen where either the father or son solicited advice from anyone in the design profession. The legendary Green Keeper Dutch Loeffler was by their side helping to get their ideas into the dirt but otherwise, it seems that H. and W. Fownes went at it alone.

Obviously, devoting 48 years of personal attention to the design helped  ;) but is there more to it than that? Put another way, give any architect dead or alive 48 years to come up with a better design for that piece of property and I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that any would.

How did they get so much right??

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

McCloskey

Re: Who did Fownes get so much right?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 01:13:46 PM »
Well, in their brilliance they started with 8 par 5's and 1 par 6.  Everything evolved from there.

brad_miller

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 02:27:03 PM »
Ran, this place just sounds great, hopefully more classic courses will follow the lead. Let's hope the TV guys get it right come US AM time. Hope you will be updating this course profile shorty.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 07:35:07 PM »
I've definitely come to believe that those interested in golf architecture are continuously misreading and misconstruing a few men who were responible for the architecture of a few of the most respected and well known courses in the world.

Namely George Crump (Pine Valley), Hugh Wilson (Merion) and William Fownes (Oakmont)! Two of them only built a single course and the other, Wilson, spent the final 14 years of his life working on one.

Those interested in architecture can continue to rationalize that professional architects must have secretly created things for them but one will find when he looks closely into the creation of those courses that those three men were responsible for the archtecture of those three golf courses.

I'm really not sure why it's so hard today to believe that those three men were doing things their way, none of them were answering to anyone on the architecture of those courses and they took plenty of time doing those courses. I'm also not sure why it's so hard to understand that all of them had talent and developed it extremely well during their projects. The three of them were also friends and all three were attempting to take golf to a higher level, a championship level, through their architecture.

As for William Fownes--he was a very definite man with very definite ideas about architecture. His recommendations as a member of the PV 1921 Advisory Committee shows that clearly.

One can even include C.B. Macdonald in this group. What had he done before NGLA except a rather rudimentary first version of the Chicago G.C about ten years previous?

All of them spent years on their individual projects and not one of the four took a nickel for anything they ever did in architecture.

Somewhere floating around here is a great early and contemporary article about the so-called "amateur" architect of the likes of Crump, Wilson, Fownes and Macdonald and why and how they did the things they did. It's about time it gets posted so some of the contributors on here stop looking for some professional architect hiding in the grass advising them on their projects!

While you're at it you might as well throw in Chandler Egan and Pebble Beach.

The people they consulted with and worked with during their projects are all fairly well know at this point if one looks through the histories and the archives of those courses. But all those men should be considered the designer of record on their course.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 07:54:35 PM »
"Those interested in architecture can continue to rationalize that professional architects must have secretly created things for them but one will find when he looks closely into the creation of those courses that those three men were responsible for the archtecture of those three golf courses."

Tom

I don't want to get into yet another back and forth on PV.  But you cannot seriously claim that Crump alone was responsible for the architecture at PV; that just ain't true.      
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 08:31:49 PM »
Paul:

There's no reason whatsoever for you and I to get into another 'back and forth' about PV at this point. But you, on the other hand, should stop trying to claim at this point that Harry Colt should have equal architectural attribution for PV with George Crump. You might say that but you know as well as I do you've not proven that.

Some interesting points and questions have been raised by both of us regarding those two routing topo maps but you know those points and questions haven't conclusively been answered.

And again, much consideration has to be given to those individual hole drawings from two different men--one by Colt and the other likely by Crump. Neither of us has seen more than one of Colt's hole drawings. If and when that time comes a good deal more about what happened following Colt's early departure and the enuing five years Crump remained working on the architecture of that course daily may be known.

Colt's hole drawings have been looked at carefully by a few men who know that course extremely well and there're obviously a good number of differences in Colt's hole drawings from the way the course was built by Crump. And there's also little doubt that the set that are likely Crump's are very close to the way the course was when Crump died.

I don't think your implication is even partially supportable that a man such as Jim Finegan had some agenda to minimize whatever Colt did do when he took that entire PVGC archive home with him for a few years and carefully analyzed everything about it when he took a few years to write the PV history book. The only thing that seems obvious now is he clearly missed on the significance of the date on that topo routing map that hangs on the wall in the clubhouse--but you and I have been over that topo routing discussion in detail and much of what that research mistake may mean.

There's no reason for you to say this;

"But you cannot seriously claim that Crump alone was responsible for the architecture at PV; that just ain't true."

I didn't say that on the post above you responded to--I said this;

'The people they consulted with and worked with during their projects are all fairly well known at this point if one looks through the histories and the archives of those courses. But all those men (those amateur architects) should be considered the designer of record on their course.'

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 04:40:29 AM »
Redaman said:

"But on counterpoint a propos Fownes besting Ross and Tillinghast
-Certainly Oakmont is on a much better property than say Pinehurst #2, no?
-Isn't it (Oakmont) a mite difficult for the duff?
-Didn't his love of trees handicap Tillinghast, especially as trees and turfgrass so compete?  
Ok, I withdraw the question, but aren't the first two in counterdistinction to the "ideal goals" of golf course architecture?  
Certainly just as at Pine Valley, Oakmont wasn't a course designed for the masses.  Is that yet another arguement that the ideal or "best" (Whatever the heck that is) course might be best made with the better golfer in mind and to hell with the duff, or is that a negative for Fownes and Oakmont?  I have never decided the final answer, but I believe that to truly achieve greatness one must sometimes exclude.  And it only convinces me more of the blondes, brunettes and redheads.

redanman:

This idea or "ideal" that an architect has to design for the masses to acheive greatness in architecture is just bullshit plain and simple. If the likes of Pine Valley, Oakmont, Pinehurst #2, Merion, probably Pebble Beach, Bethpage Black, Baltusrol, Carnoustie, NGLA, Shinnecock et al is not 80 plus years of evidence of that what could be?

That whole idea of "designing for the masses" is probably no more than a general sales prescript for popularizing the game of golf out of the 19th century and into the early 20th century, particularly in America.

Do any of us see "duffs" who do not want to play any of those courses listed (championship designs) now or in the preceding 100 or so years since they all were created? Not at all.

Donald Ross, who may have been the most vocal of all with that pitch of designing for the masses wrote in no uncertain terms that when he "improved" #2 to be a much sterner test of golf that everyone told him the course would be unpopular and most would continue to play #1 and not #2 that in fact shortly after the opening of #2 it was the other way around.

Crump clearly was purposely designing for a much higher caliber of player and Pine Valley has always been amazed how "duffs" have always reveled in playing that course and continuing to get clobbered score-wise as they revel in it.

William Fownes, particularly, so much more than his father Henry, intended to make Oakmont a really stern test of high caliber and championship caliber design.

But all these decades has anyone heard of members at Oakmont getting frustrated en masse and not enjoying playing that golf course? Not at all, just the opposite in fact.

Again, you asked:

"Is that yet another arguement that the ideal or "best" (Whatever the heck that is) course might be best made with the better golfer in mind and to hell with the duff, or is that a negative for Fownes and Oakmont?  I have never decided the final answer, but I believe that to truly achieve greatness one must sometimes exclude.  And it only convinces me more of the blondes, brunettes and redheads."

That is definitely NOT a negative for the likes of Fownes at Oakmont or Crump at PV and the others in the sense of some "ideal" for the masses. And architects like that are not even excluding anyone (although they may have thought they were to some extent). So you should definitely not assume or believe from courses such as these that it's a must to "exclude" anyone to acheive greatness.

In this general sense courses like these ones probably aren't all that much different from the bell at the state fair that can sometimes be rung by the strongman. Other people who know they can never ring the bell don't refuse to swing the sledge hammer because they know they can never ring the bell. They will always continue to swing the hammer just to see how close to ringing the bell they can come. Some don't raise the weight on the scale much past the ground but they seem to enjoy swinging the hammer anyway--and I'm sure they always will!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 05:32:53 AM »
But you, on the other hand, should stop trying to claim at this point that Harry Colt should have equal architectural attribution for PV with George Crump. You might say that but you know as well as I do you've not proven that.

The evidence to this point (routing and hole details) is easily enough to give Colt equal credit.  How many dozens of posts have you made, on GCA, implying that Crump alone is the architect of Pine Valley?  (If it was a clear cut as you claim, we wouldn't have had discussions of Encyclopedia Britannica proportions.)

And again, much consideration has to be given to those individual hole drawings from two different men--one by Colt and the other likely by Crump. Neither of us has seen more than one of Colt's hole drawings. If and when that time comes a good deal more about what happened following Colt's early departure and the enuing five years Crump remained working on the architecture of that course daily may be known.

Colt's hole drawings have been looked at carefully by a few men who know that course extremely well and there're obviously a good number of differences in Colt's hole drawings from the way the course was built by Crump. And there's also little doubt that the set that are likely Crump's are very close to the way the course was when Crump died.

Again, the only person who's commented on Colt's hole drawings on this board, is Tom Doak.  And he's of the opinion that the strategy of Colt's drawings is very similar.  Essentially all you have do is blur the bunkers (make them less formal) and the holes are there (obviously ignoring 13 and 14).

There are differences in the unattributed hole drawings too.  Take a look at the 11th and 14th, 15th, 17th.  I'm not sure if these are Crump's or not; they are described by Travis as engravings.  

The people they consulted with and worked with during their projects are all fairly well know at this point if one looks through the histories and the archives of those courses. But all those men should be considered the designer of record on their course.

Concerning Pine Valley, this is simply your claim, it isn't fact and certainly isn't born out by the documented facts in both archives and magazine articles.  

Nowhere (other than in jest) have I tried to deny Crump co-credit.  And yet you continue to try and deny other architects and, in particular Harry Shapland Colt, their due.  (And, I must say, a very different stance from your's on the Bethpage Black threads).

GeoffreyC

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 05:45:50 AM »
This is just a good healthy discussion of Pine Valley and its origins-  I think we should start a few new threads about the origin of Pine Valley and rehash the evidence of Crump vs. Colt again.  ;D If we can do it for the quantitative values of the tee shot then why not this topic?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 06:00:09 AM »
Ran, I believe the most simple answer on Oakmont's legacy in design is that the Fownes zigged when others zagged. And, they did this with great thought and in a truly American spirited approach: They engineered and tinkered — not based on some ideal brought over the ocean — but as a result of their thinking about how golf might be better crafted to challenge and test one's nerves and might. They beat to no drummer but their own, taking no answer necessarily given to them
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 06:14:19 AM »
;D Touche.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

michael_j_fay

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 06:35:15 AM »
Whereas Ross declared that golf be a pleasure and not a penance, Fownes elder and younger believed no such thing.

The original strategy at Oakmont was to create a penal course. It started as a par 81 and has evolved to a par 71, perhaps to go to a par of 70.

Oakmont has no contemporaries. It was built in 1902 and opened in 1903. There were no restrictions on the architect(s) in that they were not architects. What resulted are the best two back to front greens in America, numerous greens designed only to reward a thinking mans shot and to penalize those who feel that reaching the green in regulation is paramount. There are a number of holes where reaching the wrong part of the green can easily produce double bogey.

So my answer is that there was little or no preconception, great imagination and a strict adherence to the idea that life is not to be a bowl of cherries.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 07:59:07 AM »
In this general sense courses like these ones probably aren't all that much different from the bell at the state fair that can sometimes be rung by the strongman. Other people who know they can never ring the bell don't refuse to swing the sledge hammer because they know they can never ring the bell. They will always continue to swing the hammer just to see how close to ringing the bell they can come. Some don't raise the weight on the scale much past the ground but they seem to enjoy swinging the hammer anyway--and I'm sure they always will!

Great analogy, Tom I!

I wonder, now that I'm "thinking" about it, who was the genius who invented that hammer-and-bell deal. Do you think it was a professional hammer-and-bell-deal designer -- or just an amateur with a good head and a good idea?

I mean, that hammer-and-bell deal is not exactly, as they say, Rocket Science -- unlike, say, golf-course architecture?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 08:54:19 AM »
Paul:

You just said this;

"The evidence to this point (routing and hole details) is easily enough to give Colt equal credit.  How many dozens of posts have you made, on GCA, implying that Crump alone is the architect of Pine Valley?  (If it was a clear cut as you claim, we wouldn't have had discussions of Encyclopedia Britannica proportions.)"

I'll just start right there with this remark of yours in an attempt to set this entire PVGC/Crump/Colt discussion between us straight mostly in an attempt not to rehash all the minute and detailed discussion of PV/Crump/Colt between us at this point.

The evidence to this point (routing and hole details) is most certainly NOT enough evidence to give EQUAL design and archtiectural credit to Colt.

You made a case for what you think Colt might have done on that course and I made a case for what I think Crump might have done on the course. That's a good basis to have a discussion or even a good debate about how PV came into being in detail.

But you've proven very little if anything. It's your assumption only and your assumption without proof does not make a valid conclusion. Neither does mine.

And so what I've been advocating all along (which you seem to have missed) is a commonsense review of all the detail that's known about PVGC's exact and detailed creation by reexamining the evidence of it. At this point neither one of us has been able to do that completely--not by a long shot, in my opinion. What we've both done is reevaluate SOME of the evidence. There's other evidence surely neither you nor I have even seen.

Some of that evidence I came up with on my own and some you came up with on your own. Now that evidence has to be reevaluated to try to get to the truth of who did what and when to whatever degree that ever may be possible at this point 85-90 years later.

What evidence did either of us come up with that's particularly relevent that may change the understanding of who did what from what it's been for 90 years.

1. As far as I can tell I'm the first person to realize the significance of that date on both topo routing maps. And frankly although that might seem like a very small point to most it's in fact huge. That alone can start to set some early  timelines which can possibly go a long way to proving who came up with various things and when. Obviously whatever can be basically proven as to have been arrived at prior to Colt's arrival at PVGC that got built have to go to Crump (unless it can be proven that someone else prior to Colt may have influenced Crump!). Once Colt arrived things become much harder to attribute to who between them came up with them obviously.

2. The blue lines on the routing map. As far as I can tell I might be the first person in 90 years to have even noticed the significance of those blue pencil lines on that routing (and hole design) topo map. I thought John Ott told me about those blue and red lines and the distinctions and the significance of them but he says he didn't. He says I told him. How did I even conclude that the blue lines were Colt? Simply by comparing the well known remark of Crump's about Colt's placement of #2 green and then noticing that the blue lines on that topo routing map shows clearly that green right where Crump is known to have said he didn't want Colt to put it, and where Crump definitely did not want it (that's the well known "No good" remark by Carr attributed to Crump in the 1921 remembrances). So that right there gives anyone interested in the details of the creation of PV (particularly the routing) a blueprint (no pun intended) to look for which one of them may have come up with what first.

But do all the blue lines on that topo routing map prove that the ideas of all the blue lines were Colt's? Of course not. Commonsense would tell anyone there could be a whole variety of reasons why that might not be true. What if Crump just told Colt where to draw some of those blue lines, particularly since anyone can see that Crump appeared to be a very poor golf architectural drawer? What if Colt was simply drawing the blue lines onto the hole bodies (basically the routing, or parts of it) of some of the things that Crump had come up with before Colt arrived? Are you telling me that these things are impossibilities? I sure hope not since Crump had very likely been all over that land with a fine tooth comb up to a year before Colt arrived. What do you suppose he might have been doing out there all that time previous to Colt's arrival? Do you think he was walking around looking at the sky if he was so dedicated to the idea of a golf course there--an idea, by the way, that was his originally.

So that's the beginning of the commonsense PROCESS that should be used to do all this accurately, in my opinion. And that process has by no means been exhausted by either of us by a long shot. Trying to prove things in that vein in favor of Crump is simply establishing various things that were written about the routing and hole designs previous to Colt's arrival that ended up getting built. To me that can begin to prove various things in favor of Crump vs Colt. And that's just a start

And that entire process should be continued in detail regarding all that happened in detail following Colt's departure. Following that same process for approximately the next five years of Crump's involvement there which was the remainder of his life can also probably prove various things eventually.

Following what happened architecturally in the ensuing years after Colt's departure (Colt spent a week possibly two at PV in 1913 and as far as I can tell never returned to PV or even America again) as Pine Valley continued to get slowly built can prove much about some of the evidence you seem to be using to make conclusions about what Colt did.

Such a piece of evidence would be that article by Father Carr in the summer of 1914. That article does appear to give a huge amount of credit to Colt. And I'd give a huge amount of credit to Colt too if the course had been finished in the summer of 1914 but it hadn't by a long shot.

So what does that mean? It means to me that anything that diverges from what Colt left that's not similar to the way the course got built definitely isn't Colt's--it's someone else's and considering how all those that visited PV following say 1914 tended to give Crump credit for the course culminating at his death in early 1918 certainly means a good deal to me.

So when you use a piece of evidence such as Carr's 1914 article in GI to establish architectural attribution and do this research justice you simply have to look beyond 1914 long after Colt left and certainly look at how much Carr's own remarks (as well as W.P Smith and others) begain to diverge from that 1914 article of Carr's in the ensuing years to certainly 1918 when even at that point the course wasn't finished.

And telling me that I'm bluring something bunker-wise is ridiculous. I'm not bluring anything. I know that golf course really well from being around it for 15 years and I know when I see numerous Colt blue line bunkering that was never done what that means. And I know how to analyze aerials against plans at any particular point too. And I also know when I see Crump's red lines much of what that means too---that's the way he wanted the course built and that's the way it was getting built. To the degree that Colt's blue lines may be under Crump's red lines means to me some varying degree of collaboration between Crump and Colt.

And what you've producted so far that is very valuable to analyze all of this from is that overlay of the two topo routing maps, particularly if it can be proven that the early one was just Crump's hand. That will undoubedly turn out to be a very valuable research tool and vehicle if and when it can be compared against whatever else may be found, textual or drawing, in the archives or elsewhere.

And again, you said this;

"....How many dozens of posts have you made, on GCA, implying that Crump alone is the architect of Pine Valley?  (If it was a clear cut as you claim, we wouldn't have had discussions of Encyclopedia Britannica proportions.)"

I believe Crump, from what I can see so far Crump should be considerered the primary architect of Pine Valley (and I'm by no means alone) but not without probably the most extensive collaboration with others that the world of architecture has ever known, and maybe by a mile. But even with all that collaboration, in my mind, at this point (in the research process of the creation of PV) Crump deserves to be considered the archiect and certainly the architectural "editor"--a feeling shared apparently by others who were there such as Tillinghast, Thomas, Hunter, the Wilsons, Travis, Travers etc etc. And if you choose to use some magazine article that clearly says otherwise at least do this discussion and this research process justice and make sure the article is after 1918 when Crump died.

But I've by no means said that I ever felt Crump did everything alone. Actually I wrote a 3,000 article in the April issue of the Philadelphia Golf magazine about the Philadelphia School of architecture primarily concentrating on the "school's" collaborative theme and primarily revolving around PVGC (the mother of all architectural collaboration) that is about the opposite of architects working alone.

So I'm not saying Crump was alone at all, as you keep implying I did and am--there were numerous people he involved himself with but if the archtiectural attribution of Pine Valley does go to a single man I believe it goes to Crump and not Crump and Colt equally as you apparently do.

But my real point is none of this has been truly proven at this point, not by you and not by me, as you think it has and say it has, and whether it's mostly Crump, Crump and Colt equally, or even mostly Colt that's what I would like to find out eventually.

DJames

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 10:01:48 AM »
Redanman, it's all in the eye of the beholder of, blondes, brunettes and redheads.

To you, Oakmont, is a drop dead beautiful, extremely stern brunette of Germanic descent,  dressed all in leather and wearing stilletos.   Carrying a cat-o-nine-tails.

To me, Oakmont is a tall, very, very attractive, classy intelligent blonde of Scandavian or Germanic descent with a very complex personality.  Her core is warm and loving and she treasures traditional values.  She is selective and only shares her true self with those she considers kindred spirits.  Those who are fortunate to see and experience her core, understand that she is not a snob.  To those who only grasp the superficial, she can appear cold, distant, quirky, unforgiving, impossibly difficult, unapproachable, among a host of other descriptives.  In many ways, although her packaging appears to be elitist, she's a seductive and loving free spirit who will encourage and connect with those who choose to occasionally step out of the box, consider new options and reconnect with history and tradition.

I have had the good fortune to play her four times in my life.  My scores were terrible, but if I lived around Pittsburgh, I'd be willing to mortgage everything to become a member.  I would never tire of her company.   :P  

I got so caught up in my description of "my blonde," I failed to throw-in my two cents about Fownes.  There are examples in many fields of endeavor throughout the history of the world that persons gifted with vision and commitment create works of art, achieve success (whatever the accomplishment) that many, many others fail to achieve regardless of education, training, effort, etc.,  The vast majority of us have the "curse" of being average and even if given 48 years, could not create an Oakmont-class golf course.

"Exceptional" is not commonplace which is why "exceptional" generates respect, appreciation and awe.

My question is that with the examples of Oakmont-class golf courses, why is mediocrity so prevalent and apparently accepted?  

Is it the emperor's new clothes?  A so-called expert designs a course and the masses assume a "wow factor" whether they actually see one or not.  Certainly not the participants of this discussion group, but it seems to me that the acceptance of so many mediocre courses has to be the result of clever marketing by the architect than the actual work product.   :o

Paul_Turner

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2003, 02:09:57 PM »
The evidence to this point (routing and hole details) is most certainly NOT enough evidence to give EQUAL design and archtiectural credit to Colt.

I strongly disagree.  There's plenty of evidence of Colt's input; actually more than Crump's, who you seem to have no problem giving full credit to.

But do all the blue lines on that topo routing map prove that the ideas of all the blue lines were Colt's? Of course not. Commonsense would tell anyone there could be a whole variety of reasons why that might not be true. What if Crump just told Colt where to draw some of those blue lines, particularly since anyone can see that Crump appeared to be a very poor golf architectural drawer? What if Colt was simply drawing the blue lines onto the hole bodies (basically the routing, or parts of it) of some of the things that Crump had come up with before Colt arrived? Are you telling me that these things are impossibilities? I sure hope not since Crump had very likely been all over that land with a fine tooth comb up to a year before Colt arrived. What do you suppose he might have been doing out there all that time previous to Colt's arrival? Do you think he was walking around looking at the sky if he was so dedicated to the idea of a golf course there--an idea, by the way, that was his originally.

Relegating Colt to a mere draughtsman is ludicrous.  It's as desperate as the publicity ruse argument.  Why on earth would Colt claim the course if this was true, do you think he was a liar?  Why would so many others with intimate knowlege of the project, credit Colt with part or whole of the design?  What the hell was Colt paid for?  Why would they call his partner, Alison, back in 1921-for his fine drawing skills?

If you cannot find a fully fledged routing plan prior to Colt's arrival.  Then this almost definitely proves to me that Colt found the first complete routing, particularly given the above reports, his own claim for the course and his known talent.

Such a piece of evidence would be that article by Father Carr in the summer of 1914. That article does appear to give a huge amount of credit to Colt. And I'd give a huge amount of credit to Colt too if the course had been finished in the summer of 1914 but it hadn't by a long shot.

It was Jan 1915.  All the evidence points (photographical and reports) towards the bulk of the course being finished by mid/late 1915.  Even the current 13th was found in 1915.

And telling me that I'm bluring something bunker-wise is ridiculous. I'm not bluring anything.

What are you talking about? You've misunderstood me.  When I chatted with Tom Doak about the Colt book, he said that the holes were very similar in strategy and if the bunkers were simply blurred to make them less formal, then the holes were about right.

I believe Crump, from what I can see so far Crump should be considerered the primary architect of Pine Valley (and I'm by no means alone) but not without probably the most extensive collaboration with others that the world of architecture has ever known, and maybe by a mile. But even with all that collaboration, in my mind, at this point (in the research process of the creation of PV) Crump deserves to be considered the archiect and certainly the architectural "editor"--a feeling shared apparently by others who were there such as Tillinghast, Thomas, Hunter, the Wilsons, Travis, Travers etc etc. And if you choose to use some magazine article that clearly says otherwise at least do this discussion and this research process justice and make sure the article is after 1918 when Crump died.

Well I can't see much evidence to strongly suggest that Crump should be the primary architect (none has been uncovered to suggest such).  Tavers, Travis both credit Colt.  Thomas credits both equally.  Hunter divides holes for credit.  Tillinghasr chops and changes between the two and is the only one to use the "editor" phrase.  I'll use any research sources, all dates are valid.

But my real point is none of this has been truly proven at this point, not by you and not by me, as you think it has and say it has, and whether it's mostly Crump, Crump and Colt equally, or even mostly Colt that's what I would like to find out eventually.

I agree, to a certain degree.  So, no more posts attributing Pine Valley to Crump alone, including the "architect of record".

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 02:31:45 PM »
I've located the original patent application for that hammer-and-bell deal.

There are blue lines, red lines, green lines, black lines, brown lines, even lavender lines all over it, in two different styles of handwriting -- one sort of blocky; the other, flowing and Baroque. (There's a shopping list scribbled down in the lower-left corner, including "Ham hocks," "Iron City" and "Pepsodent." And in the upper-right corner, there's a note -- in another person's hand -- that says: "TO DO: Invent sticky notes. Sick and tired of partner scrawling grocery lists on corners of patent applications, etc.")

I'm beginning to suspect -- though, I hasten to note, nothing has been proved! -- that this hammer-and-bell deal might have been a collaborative effort!

The reference to "Iron City" would seem to indicate that the collaborators were located in Pittsburgh, where the Iron City brewery was located.

Henry and William Fownes, perhaps?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2003, 02:55:00 PM »
I think discussion of the drop dead beautiful brunette with leather and stilettos requires at a very minimum its own thread.  Perhaps another discussion board.  I've played several rounds at Oakmont over the years and never did see her, although I did feel the sting of the cat-of-nine-tails on numerous occasions.  The long par 4's get the talk, but try to two putt from the left side when the pin is on the much lower right side on #2!   Someone mentioned above that the course has the two best front to back greens in the world.  I count three -- #1, #10 and #12.   Talk about the course being laid on the land!

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2003, 07:21:57 PM »
"There's plenty of evidence of Colt's input; actually more than Crump's".

Paul:

There's more evidence of Colt input at PVGC than Crump's? Yeah right Paul. Colt was at PVGC for a week in 1913 and he never returned, never saw the project again, never saw a single hole built and never had anything more to do with it after that--never even came back to American and it appears he never had any more contact with Crump or PVGC until Crump sent him some photos or whatever--or do you think you can find something to prove he did have more to do with the course in the ensuing 4+ years that Crump was building it? You and I definitely have a different way of looking at the same evidence and the same facts, there's little doubt of that.

Crump probably spent up to six years out there on that project nearly daily and what do you think he was doing all that time--following Colt's plan--acting as some kind of glorified foreman for Colt, the primary architect? You even said at one point in this discussion you thought Crump was probably watching the grass grow. That's just garbage and it's denial of the obvious, as well.

You're denying all the time Crump spent on that project and also what he was doing all that time--there's just no doubt of that. What do you think all the others who came down there to see and collaborate with Crump all those years after 1913 were doing? Do you think he got architects and others down there to tell them what a great plan and design Harry Shapland Colt did?

You seem to have very little idea what Crump was doing there all those years every day but I will assure you it wasn't simply telling construction workers to carry out Colt's design and architectural plan years after that one week he was there.

And I'm not the one who's denying Colt anything as you keep suggesting. Who came up with the significance of the blue lines on the routing topo, or the significance of the date on that topo and who told you about it all? Does that sound like someone whose trying to deny Colt something and claim that Crump did that whole course alone?

In a while I hope to be able to look over more of that original material down there--hopefully all of it--including Colt's hole booklet. in the meantime it appears we aren't even remotely on the same page on how to go about analyzing and evaluating this entire subject. You appear to have already made up your mind with a limited understanding of that 5-6 year project and what Crump was doing all that time, but not me--I'm going to keep an open mind and go over all of this again to try to pin down more details of everyone who worked on that project after looking at all the original material. Until then this discussion on GCA is over.

T_MacWood

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 07:58:15 PM »
In the US the trailblazers were Leeds (Boston), Macdonald (Chicago) and Fownes (Pittsburgh).

In the UK Park (London), Fowler (London) and Colt (London) as well as Mure Ferguson (London), Paton (London), and Low (London).

This was around the turn of the century.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2003, 05:26:20 AM »
You seem to have very little idea what Crump was doing there all those years every day but I will assure you it wasn't simply telling construction workers to carry out Colt's design and architectural plan years after that one week he was there.

Neither do you.  Nor apparently, does anyone else.  The only differences, I can see, are the red lines that aren't over blue.  And that certainly isn't enough to take co-credit away from Colt.  What was Crump doing for all those years, when the evidence points towards the bulk of the course being done by 1915?  Why did he get stuck for so long?  And we're supposed to accept that he managed to come up with a complete routing in 1-2 months?  

I seems to me, that when things got done at Pine Valley, was when the professionals were heavily involved.

And I'm not the one who's denying Colt anything as you keep suggesting. Who came up with the significance of the blue lines on the routing topo, or the significance of the date on that topo and who told you about it all? Does that sound like someone whose trying to deny Colt something and claim that Crump did that whole course alone?

I know that Tom.  We've both shared the information.  But on GCA you do come across as trying to give Crump full credit.

PS

No need to be sarcastic.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2003, 06:27:47 AM »
Oakmont looks very beautiful without so many trees. However, I would be remiss for not pointing out two important points about the trees there, many of which were planted by Jack Snyder when he bacame greenkeeper in 1951:

1. A great many trees remain along both sides of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, for which all golfers are grateful. Jack oversaw this improvement and, actually at the time, removed other trees from other areas.

2. Many trees pre-dating Jack (some of which were planted by his father, Arthur, when he was part of the crew) are still there today and several of these remain as very strategic plantings relative to the landscape and the play.

On my recent visit it struck me that balance is key at Oakmont: As trees got bigger there were too many. When they were small it probably seemed appropriate. I still thnk they have some thinning to accomplish, but at all cost should retain some of the separation and clusters which add to the routing. Without such clusters and trees the openness one encounters would seem commonplace.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »
A well timed thread from many years ago.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 05:20:10 PM »
A well timed thread from many years ago.

Well, except it's mostly about the attribution of Pine Valley.

But Forrest's comments about his mentor having smartly planted all the trees along the Turnpike corridor are now called into question!

To the original question, in recent years, I've seen several projects such as Himalayan Golf Club and Pikewood National, where the founders decided to go their own way.  [The founders/architects of Pikewood are actually Oakmont members and were thus inspired to do so.]  The resulting courses are most interesting to study because they are very different than the homogenized norm of golf course architecture today.  They are not better in all respects, certainly, but they do get some details right in a way that most golf architects would never think of, because of their differing perspectives. 

As the owners of the courses in question, they didn't have to be concerned about what others might think, if they didn't want to be.  Too many architects live in fear of doing something radical and never finding work again.  If you want to actually follow your instincts, you have to be willing to live with the consequences.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
I have not seen the change since the trees were mostly (I believe mostly) removed along the turnpike. To my eye - in 2003 and also again in 2007 - the trees along the turnpike seemed beneficial, especially from the upper side. The turnpike was originally not so depressed into the grade, so I suppose in the period when the easement was a railway and thoroughfare (leading up to the more modern turnpike) it was probably appropriate in terms of the trees.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back