News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RE Blanks

Muirfield - Jacket and Tie?
« on: October 25, 2006, 08:51:35 PM »
I want to get this straight.  When playing Muirfield you must arrive in a jacket and tie, then change into golf clothes, then after your morning round put the jacket and tie back on for lunch, then change back into golfing clothes for the afternoon, then put back on jacket and tie for drinks?  Is this correct?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:00:46 PM by RE Blanks »

michael j fay

Re:Muirfield - Tie?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 08:55:54 PM »
Jacket and tie. The meal is very good. The drinking of copious amounts of Kummel is the magical and mysterious part of the routine.

RE Blanks

Re:Muirfield - Jacket and Tie?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »
Thanks -

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »
When in Rome .....

Doug Bolls

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »
As I remember it, you can arrive in golf clothes and hang your jacket/tie in the mend locker room.  Change into Jacket/Tie prior to a very good lunch buffet in the dining room (no women allowed).  We thoroughly enjoyed the company of the Honorable Company of Edinburgh Golfers who are there for lunch - interesting and engaging stories of golf in Scotland - just a nice experience.

Kummel is another matter - I think 80% of the worlds production of Kummel is consumed at the Muirfield Clubhouse.  They will fill your glass to the VERY TOP - I had a few of them when I was there and had some difficulty in successfully completing the afternoon round - be careful if you really want to play well.

Overall, it does not get any better than golf at Muirfield - we are back there again in April.

DB

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 10:09:45 PM »

Kummel is another matter - I think 80% of the worlds production of Kummel is consumed at the Muirfield Clubhouse.  They will fill your glass to the VERY TOP - I had a few of them when I was there and had some difficulty in successfully completing the afternoon round - be careful if you really want to play well.

I was under the impression that Prestwick was the greatest consumer of Kummel... oh well, wherever you drink it, it will knock you out  ;)

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:53:02 AM »
Doug is correct.  No need for the jacket and tie unless you are eating lunch.  If you play 36 the lunch is included, but not required.  In that case you could leave your golf attire on, head to town for a bite and return for the afternoon foursomes.  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 02:51:30 AM »
Doug is correct.  No need for the jacket and tie unless you are eating lunch.  If you play 36 the lunch is included, but not required.  In that case you could leave your golf attire on, head to town for a bite and return for the afternoon foursomes.  
Anyone not taking lunch will be missing a quintessential part of the experience.  If you really object to wearing a jacket and tie so badly that you would rather avoid the Muirfield lunch experience (which is a great part of what the club is all about) then you'd be better off spending your green fee elsewhere, or even paying for some therapy to help with whatever hang-ups cause such a strong aversion to jacket and tie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 05:37:46 AM »
So, how much does a day at Muirfield cost.  Are drinks included too..

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:42:47 AM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:43:04 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Chris Kane

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 05:46:20 AM »
JBK, the green fee for 2007 is £180 for two rounds, plus £20 for lunch.  Drinks would not be included in that.

Doug Bolls, Prestwick is the most prolific consumer of Kummel, followed by Muirfield and Royal St Georges.  Its a frighteningly potent drink when served in a full wine glass!  There cannot be a tougher opening tee shot than Prestwick's after lunch!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 05:48:06 AM »
Thanks,

Any idea on the cost to play as a guest of a member.

Chris Kane

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 05:50:04 AM »
Couldn't be more than £10.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 05:55:33 AM »
No idea, my father in law is a member so I've played there often, but he always picks up the tab.  I vaguely recall playing there 10 years or so ago and having a round of drinks afterwards and him getting change from a tenner.  Might be wrong but I suspect it is still, as Chris suggests, dirt cheap.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 05:59:07 AM »
No idea, my father in law is a member so I've played there often, but he always picks up the tab.  I vaguely recall playing there 10 years or so ago and having a round of drinks afterwards and him getting change from a tenner.  Might be wrong but I suspect it is still, as Chris suggests, dirt cheap.

Mark,

Did your wedding ceremony include any activities at the club...It is a common custom in the US.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 07:02:49 AM »

Mark,

Did your wedding ceremony include any activities at the club...It is a common custom in the US.
John,

Until recently dogs had more rights at Muirfield than women (in the early '90s my wife (a good mid-teens handicapper) and I played with her father on a cold, bleak April day.  The Ladies changing rooms consisted of a Portakabin by the side of the clubhouse.  Having cahnged after our round, she came round to the front of the clubhouse to join us, where she was refused entry until "collected" by a member.  She had to stand in the rain until her father had finished showering before being allowed in.  Things are, I gather, better today but I suspect that women featured even below Americans on Paddy Hanmer's league table of human beings.  Since that day Lorna has refused to return to Muirfield until women have equal rights in the club.  She is not expecting to return any time soon.

I also suspect that the last thing the members of the Honorable Company would want at their club was a wedding party.

All of which is a long winded way of saying that no, no part of our wedding day involved Muirfield (in fact we got married at my college in Oxford, so geographically it would have been difficult as well.

I don't know of any UK tradition or custom of wedding ceremonies or part of them taking place at golf clubs, though I have been to a wedding reception at Moor Park Golf Club, which I guess is more of an American style country club, recently.  I suspect that this is another of the differences between the established exclusive UK courses and their equivalents in the US, as addressed in the other Muirfield thread.

Mark

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 08:11:51 AM »
RE:

I was just at Muirfield last week.  You may arrive in golf clothes but you must change into a jacket and tie for lunch, which, by the way, is as outstanding as the course.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:08:46 AM by Andy Scanlon »
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 08:34:29 AM »
RE,
You MUST partake of lunch. This, coming as it does from the biggest poo-pooer of unnecessary pomp and circumstance there is, is genuinely heartfelt. You will come away a better man in all respects.
When you arrive, park in the nice covered parking bays (a great touch!) and take your golf gear and jacket, tie and SHIRT(!) on a hanger with you. Once you're through that exquisite gate, you will be treated royally! The locker room is a marvel in itself. I defy you not to get the goosebumps when first you see the Golfing Art which surrounds you....

Not only one of Golf's great experiences, also one of Life's.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 09:10:45 AM »
I've played Muirfield a few times with a member who refuses to partake of the lunch on a regular basis, on the grounds that it's way too fattening!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 09:33:29 AM »
Not only one of Golf's great experiences, also one of Life's.

I agree - I could only imagine what it would be like to have lunch overlooking The Old Course from the R&A clubhouse...........ahh to dream  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Put me down with Mark and Martin on this.  ESPECIALLY as a visitor from overseas, you simply MUST do the full day, with lunch and drinks, at Muirfield.  Oh sure, it seems like unnecessary pomp and circumstance, but I am here to tell you it is Fun with an intential capital F.  The food is pretty good also, and the wine and drinks are there as much as you want, and aren't that expensive.  Hell the whole day is REALLY expensive as it is - but remember what you're getting for your money... I seriously put this as one of the 10 things every golfer must do in his life - 36 plus lunch at Muirfield.

My group had an absolute blast.  I also played there another time with a smaller group where we didn't do the lunch and well.... that was a fun golf round.  The whole day with lunch was an experience to remember forever.  Yes, a life experience, as Martin so eloquently says.

And yes, the procedure was described correctly... arrive in golf clothes - store coat and tie in locker room - play 18 - return to locker room, change into coat and tie - eat and drink - change back into golf clothes - play 2nd 18 as foursomes.

TH

ps to Kevin P - that's one damn great life experience also.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:52:46 AM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
Is it individual or community showers...In that I mean stalls or a big room..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 09:54:26 AM »
Is it individual or community showers...In that I mean stalls or a big room..

Damn.... that part I don't remember.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 09:55:26 AM »
I'm sure it was stalls or you would remember..

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 09:58:24 AM »
Is there still a Handicap requirement at Muirfield? It was 18 when I played there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back