News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

David Panzarasa

Essex County Country Club, NJ..??
« on: October 25, 2006, 08:09:38 PM »
After much debate, I have decided I am staying put here in NJ, but am moving up to the Morristown/livingston/west orange area.......
 So, doing some research into clubs with nice junior memberships I kind of narrowed it down. I have played a good deal of the courses there, but the one that I am most interested in is the one I have not played. Essex County CC.
 What are your thoughts on the course? If anyone knows the club and members, what are your thoughts on that as well?
 Thanks in advance, everyone here is ALWAYS a help and I take all opinions seriously!
David

Oh, and if my man Tommy N reads this, I have to get in touch with you, had some problems when I was in LA and had to leave. (business back here)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:21:22 PM by David Panzarasa »

Jerry Kluger

Re:Essex Country Country Club, NJ..??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »
Essex County has gone through a fantastic restoration thanks to George Bahto and Gil Hanse and I believe it is still in the midst of a tree removal program.  It is a wonderful course where you will never be bored.  I would suggest asking Pat Mucci about the members and the amenities.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Essex Country Country Club, NJ..??
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
David,

Essex County is a wonderful golf course that sits atop the first of the Orange Mountains in West Orange, not far from Livingston.

It also seems to be attracting younger members.

There's an initiation fee and a bond, then dues and a monthly restaurant minimum.

If I were new to the area I"d certainly consider joining.

IM me if you'd like to know more.

Dean Paolucci

Re:Essex County Country Club, NJ..??
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:39:38 AM »
Clearly one of the top tracks in all of NJ.  A terrific Charles Banks layout with arguably the best back nine in the state.  Top flight ammenities such as a range, pool and others.  New pro David Coates is just in from a first assistant job at Baltusrol.  Greens Superintendant from Caves.  They are really attempting to upgrade the infrastructure throughout the club.  Easily accessable from 280.  Excellent choice.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:04 AM »
David,
The back nine alone is enough of an inducement to join, never mind the excellent work done to the rest of the course by GB/GH

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »
David:

Essex County CC is one of the top 3-4 courses in all of the Garden State, in my mind. In years past, much of the focus centered on the stellar back nine -- just a shade behind the likes of PV and Plainfield IMHO. The work of George Bahto and Gil Hanse have resurrected so many elements of the Charles Banks touch. Kudos to the club's leadership for the desire to be the very best they can be.

Why the course is not a member of the top 100 classic from Golfweek is really amazing given the nature of what the course provides.

If memory serves, I believe there are still component of what Tillinghast designed as well before Banks took over the entire project.

The course is set on some of the finest land that any Garden State course can offer.

What's amazing is that the town of West Orange is home to no less than two of the top ten courses I have played in NJ --Essex County CC and the #2 and #4 nines at Montclair GC -- right up the road on Prospect Avenue.

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »

ECCC looks fabulous.  What about that other recently restored Banks course up the street Rock Spring?

Anyone with knowledge care to comment on the paths taken by these two clubs, both Banks, in restoring what was there?  

Has the restoration of ECCC made the club stronger?
Has the restoration of Rock Spring made that club stronger?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:32:20 PM »
Corey:

In short -- yes to both questions, however, ECCC had the stronger layout prior to the work and has gained even more so since the Bahto / Hanse involvement.

Frankly, if there's ever a course that flies low on the collective architectural radar in all of New Jersey it's ECCC. Few people pay much attention when others in the general vicinity -- Baltusrol, Plainfield and Ridgewood, grab the lion's share of attention.

Rock Spring is a fine layout but much less so from the totality of the design details that are part and parcel of ECCC.

corey miller

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 08:26:44 AM »

Matt

If you look at what is in the ground at ECCC and RS (actually in many instances above the ground at RS), surely they BOTH can't have been restored?  They look nothing like each other. Which one looks classic? Which one looks like it could be Banks?

Does RS after the "restoration" look anything like any other Banks course you have seen?  What did Ken Dye "restore" the course to?  Were the caving in bunkers his attempt to give a old time look of evolution?  Of course it would have been the look that could only occur if Hudson National bunkers were built and not maintained for ten years. How do you feel about the tree work?

Matt, I admire your devotion to seeing many courses but your writings on classic courses  and the restoration process does nothing to furthering the cause of preservation, restoration, sympathetic restoration etc etc.  Because, regardless of how he sells the membership about how he "honors" the original architect ;D there is nothing classic about the work at RS.

Clearly ECCC is a A effort in whatever we are calling it.
RS is a F which probably could have been a D if the bunkers were not falling apart a few years after completion.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:39:14 AM »
I could not find the old thread, but here is one picture of George's work on ECCC #8

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 09:21:11 AM »
Corey:

The "degree" of what you or others deem as acceptable in the "restoration" scheme of things is not so critically important to me. Some prefer that every "i" be dotted and every "t" crossed to the highest and precise standards.

That's a bit unrealistic in so many ways.

Rock Spring is still an interesting layout with some interesting holes -- it is NOT in the league with ECCC and I stated that from the get-go. I simply opined that I like a number of things about Rock Spring. Would I include the course among my 50 personal best in the Garden State?

No, I would not. That should tell you where I think the course is for what I define as a "must play" in the Garden State.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 03:45:33 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back