News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rboyce

10,000 rounds at a course
« on: October 21, 2006, 07:28:12 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116138263195099404.html?mod=hps_us_editors_picks

James Finegan reckons he has played the main course at the members-only Philadelphia Country Club here more than 10,000 times. He is fond of saying he plays "only on days ending with the letter 'y.'" At a minimum, he chalks up 250 rounds a year at Philadelphia, which in the 40-plus years since he joined the club -- he is 76 -- pushes him easily across the five-digit frontier.

But playing golf, not writing about it, is the main thing for Mr. Finegan, and his enthusiasm remains unbounded. In his prime, sporting a two handicap, he won the club championship at Philadelphia four times and the senior championship at Pine Valley once. He always walked and carried his own clubs in a pipestem bag, completing nine holes (with two balls) in an hour and a half or 18 holes (with one ball) in "one and 55."

wsmorrison

Re:10,000 rounds at a course
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »
I've known Jim Finegan for many years.  My wife's family are members at Philadelphia Country Club and have known Jim for all of those 40+ years at the club.  He is a gentleman in the best, broadest and literal sense.  Jim was the first man I turned to at the outset of researching and writing the Flynn book.  Tom Paul was the second; so you know I have been in good hands throughout.

Philadelphia Country Club recently hosted the Flynn Invitational.  Jim played for the Cascades course though he surely could have played for Philadelphia Country Club.  Merion, Kittansett, Lancaster, Cherry Hills, CC Virginia, TCC Pepper Pike, Indian Creek and Glen View Club rounded out the other participants.  I had the great fortune of playing with Jim in the first round--I think he inspired me into particularly good play as he is a wonderful companion or respectful competitor on the golf course.

During the dinner after the first day's play, Jim spoke for 36 minutes.  I have digitally recorded the speech---it is fascinating.  I would like to host the speech on YouTube or somewhere GCAers can link to it.  It is approximately 560mb so it won't fit within the 10min and 100mb constraints for YouTube.  Can anyone help me segment and upload the file?  I think you all would enjoy seeing him speak.  He ends the speech citing the 10,000 rounds at PCC mark.  Amazing!  As is Jim.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 08:30:39 AM »
A worthy goal to shoot for :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 08:53:50 AM »
rboyce,

Can you post a link that will take us directly to the article?  I tried your link and I have to subscribe.  If it is too much trouble to post the article or difficult to link, please don't bother.  Thanks anyway.  Which day did the article come out in the paper?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:54:04 AM by Wayne Morrison »

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »
Wayne M. -

Worst case, you could post Jim F.'s speech in 4 or 5 segments on youtube.com to get around their 10min/100mb restriction. I have seen that done with other performance/concert footage posted there.

DT

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »
Thanks, David.  I think Eric Franzen may be able to host it on a Swedish site in its entirety.  He offered and that sounds great if he can.  I'm looking forward to hearing people's reactions to the talk once it is up and the link posted.  I think we can do it by the middle of November as he'll be here end of Oct/beginning of Nov.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »
I particularly like this passage from the WSJ article by Jim:

"Greatness isn't a concept that Mr. Finegan uses lightly. Bestowing greatness, whether on individual holes or on courses, is an intense subsidiary passion for him. He deems Philadelphia to have only two great holes. "How can this be a great course with only two great holes, you ask? Because so many other holes, 14 or 15 at least, are truly excellent. And even though you are saying to yourself, 'I know this hole isn't great, I know I have played many that surpass it,' you have to acknowledge that such a steady run of excellent holes produces, I submit, a course that qualifies as great.""

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »
The Man Who Played 10,000 Rounds

He hits the links only on days that end in 'y'
October 21, 2006; Page P6
GLADWYNE, Pa. -- James Finegan reckons he has played the main course at the members-only Philadelphia Country Club here more than 10,000 times. He is fond of saying he plays "only on days ending with the letter 'y.'" At a minimum, he chalks up 250 rounds a year at Philadelphia, which in the 40-plus years since he joined the club -- he is 76 -- pushes him easily across the five-digit frontier.

The total would be higher if he and his wife hadn't spent 12 consecutive summers in a rented flat in Scotland overlooking the 18th green at St. Andrews, a course he has played more than 100 times. And he estimates he plays 50 to 60 annual rounds at courses other than Philadelphia, including the world's No. 1 ranked course, Pine Valley in New Jersey, where he is a member.

Mr. Finegan is undoubtedly an eccentric -- anybody who has ever met him will tell you he is one of a kind -- but he isn't a kook. A kook would play his home course 10,000 times more or less as a stunt, perhaps in lieu of creating the world's largest ball of aluminum foil. Mr. Finegan has done so simply because he can't stand not to play every day, weather permitting. And for him, permitting weather includes days with temperatures in the 20s, so long as the wind isn't howling.

Such passion -- or obsessiveness -- isn't unique to Mr. Finegan. There are quite a few recreational golfers who play 100 rounds to 200 rounds or more each year, particularly in Sun Belt retirement hot spots, and Mr. Finegan sees no reason to think there couldn't be other members of the 10,000-round club (not that he's met one). The game's peculiarly addictive quality stems from its inherent imperfectability -- one can spend a lifetime improving, and yet somehow never really get better -- coupled with the occasional jackpot thrill of hitting a perfect shot. Given the time, energy and favorable circumstances (Mr. Finegan's house is a six-minute drive from his club), why not play every day?

Mr. Finegan came by his passion honestly. Born into modest circumstances in Philadelphia, he grew up caddying (including for a while for Samuel Irving Newhouse Sr., founder of Advance Publications, who regularly tipped him the then-fortune of $5 a round) and, after college and a stint in the Navy, raised three children with his wife and worked his way up from junior copywriter to the longtime chairman and chief executive of an ad agency. The office was precisely 23 minutes from the course, and he learned to change out of his suit into golf clothes on the expressway. He retired in 1990.

Since then, when not playing golf, he has devoted himself to writing about the game. His first undertaking was a 500-page history of golf in Philadelphia. He has also written the club history of Pine Valley, numerous magazine articles, and four books about golf in the British Isles, the latest being a beautiful and humongous coffee-table tome, "Where Golf Is Great: The Finest Courses of Scotland and Ireland."

All that rooting about in golf's past must be partly responsible for Mr. Finegan's delightful, quasiarchaic manner of speaking. "You, gentlemen, have arrived with ambassadorial punctuality!" he recently greeted some friends who happened to arrive on time for a round of golf. "This hole, I dare say, prompted one of the most amusing moments in our fair club's history," he told me last week when I met him for a round of golf at Philadelphia. (The story concerned Arnold Palmer's reaction to the 225-yard uphill 15th. "What the hell kind of par four is this?" Mr. Palmer is said to have said, and was told, "It's the kind of par four that's a par three.")

But playing golf, not writing about it, is the main thing for Mr. Finegan, and his enthusiasm remains unbounded. In his prime, sporting a two handicap, he won the club championship at Philadelphia four times and the senior championship at Pine Valley once. He always walked and carried his own clubs in a pipestem bag, completing nine holes (with two balls) in an hour and a half or 18 holes (with one ball) in "one and 55." In recent years, leg problems have slowed him down. He sometimes must take a cart, and his handicap is 11. But one thing remains the same: Most of the time he plays solo, in the late afternoon, as a reward to himself for having satisfactorily completed a day of work.

"It's almost like a child, truly," he says. "I was, and still am, very conscious of the fact that at a quarter of four, or four, I can look forward to a round of golf." On weekend mornings, he plays in a regular foursome, but as those rounds near their ends, a feeling of despondency creeps over him. "I know there will be no more golf that day," he says. "That's always in the forefront of my mind -- a circumstance I can't control but must reluctantly accede to."

Despite Mr. Finegan's leg problems, his consistency is uncanny. Tottering a bit from his cart to the ball, his pants hitched high on his waist, he sometimes resembles Martin Short's Ed Grimley character. As he lines up to the ball, the club shaft quavers visibly, but then, quickly -- smack! The sound is always the same, and every drive flies 170 yards or 175 yards to exactly where he wants it in the fairway. I've never played with a straighter hitter.

Has he ever once grown bored with his daily rounds? He gives the question serious thought. "No, I never have. Truly, I never have," he says. "But in this regard, I must give due credit to the course itself, as it is an undeniably great one."

Greatness isn't a concept that Mr. Finegan uses lightly. Bestowing greatness, whether on individual holes or on courses, is an intense subsidiary passion for him. He deems Philadelphia to have only two great holes. "How can this be a great course with only two great holes, you ask? Because so many other holes, 14 or 15 at least, are truly excellent. And even though you are saying to yourself, 'I know this hole isn't great, I know I have played many that surpass it,' you have to acknowledge that such a steady run of excellent holes produces, I submit, a course that qualifies as great."

That certainly settled the matter to my satisfaction. And I further submit that my afternoon with Mr. Finegan was great, as well. Late in our round, with the sun angling low into the autumn trees and deer literally gamboling in the fairways, I suggested to him that this was a paradise. "Yes," he confirmed, "it's the only place to be."

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
Good pace of play - don't doubt, those of you who did, that my brother-in-law and I ofetn played TOC off the yellow tees in 1 hr 45 mins.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back