News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re:Weiskopf... why no love here?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 11:02:38 AM »
TW did the "Desert" course next to TPC Scottsdale as a public course - maybe because it is so bad he has not been asked to do more public courses. He also did Atlantis in Nassau Bahamas which is a scenic course but not as good as the Dick Wilson course buried under it.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Gary Slatter

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 11:34:18 AM »
Hey watch it.  :D  I always thought the Desert course at the Princess was kinda fun!

Another public TW I just plain forgot.
[Sorry, I worked there when it opened and maybe its improved, it wasn't fun the first 20 times I played it!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 09:10:10 PM »
Re: TPC Scottsdale Desert Course

This course will close in January for a total renovation by GCA Randy Heckenkemper

www.azcentral.com/sports/golf/articles/1018tpcmakeover1019.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »
Buffalo Creek east of Dallas is a very nice W & M public course.

TPC @ Craig Ranch is an excellent TW membership and public access course ($150+/-), and a potential site for future professional tournaments.  The developer profusely praises TW, stating that he probably made 40 visits to the property, often staying for a few days at a time, and that he was open to input from others.  Reportedly, a full year after opening, TW still calls regularly to check on his course.

W & M's Mira Vista CC is probably my favorite course in Fort Worth, providing more variety, ground movement, and interesting green complexes than the more famous Colonial CC.

Double Eagle north of Columbus is a great course (sorry redanman) in nearly every respect (though the club's prohibition of short pants for men is a bit stuffy for my taste).

I've been around TW numerous times back in the 1970s and I can't say too many nice things about him personally.  I think that he suffered for many years as a manic-depressive, which may account for his many episodes of treating people very poorly.  He was blessed with a word-class wife who deserved much, much better.  I think that Tom would be the first to acknowldege this.

Having practiced next to or close to TW and played in front and behind him on several occasions, I don't believe I've ever seen a more beautiful, powerful swing before or since.  Whereas Tiger really goes after the ball with total aggression, Weiskopf swung with such beautiful balance and tempo that it looked effortless.  His long iron shots soared even more impressively than Nicklaus's.  And he could hit the driver as long as anyone.

I remember once back in the mid-1970s playing behind him and his friend, OSU coach Jim Brown (another harsh individual) and a couple of other guys at OSU-Scarlet.  With the tee on the upper tier on #17 and the pin back (probably around 215 yards), TW hits a smooth, towering 4-iron to 10-15'.  Brown hit a low hook with a three wood which landed on or just short of the green and rolled to within 3'.  He then proceeded to jab at TW with the club part of the way to the green.  TW missed his putt; Brown didn't.  I would like to have been on the 18th tee.

TW was responsible for a number of tree plantings on Scarlet, mostly to tighten up the course for the longer hitters.  I've been told that he also redesinged the 17th green taking out some of the slope on both tiers.  His work on Scarlet was highly unpopular among the regulars.  

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 12:30:29 PM »

I'll say that
DE is a great experience
DE is a great club for members and guests
DE is a rather good course, but I cannot go to great.  I don't hand out that moniker very easily.

Redanman, why does it always seem that you are reading my mind. I could have easily written the statements above. I always wonder what people would think of Double Eagle if it had a hotel attached and it took 5:15 to play. Would it be a "can't miss" destination because of the golf course?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »
redanman,

Conservatives are not haters.  We even give you guys some credit for being thoughtful, perhaps a bit too much out of the box, and often well intentioned.  If you can devise a national health program which is a) cost effective, b) doesn't ration care, c) is better than what we currently have, and d) its costs are very broadly spread (sorry, not another soak the rich scheme) you will have my undying support.

As to the main point, I probably do use terms in describing golf courses much more liberally than you do.  In Columbus, I probably would give the nod to either The Golf Club or Muirfield Village well ahead of Double Eagle.  Its been awhile since I've played Scioto and no doubt there have been some changes there.  I have not played the renovated Scarlet course, but I would have rated the old one fourth or fifth in that area.    

Brad Swanson

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 06:34:59 PM »
How many public/daily fee courses has Weiskopf done? I am guessing almost all his work has been at high-end residential golf communities (in the west & southwest) that just don't get seen by many people who don't live there.

David,
   I always enjoyed playing The Ridge at Castle Pines North south of Denver (now there's a housing development course name for ya :o).  It is a daily fee course that has a particularly enjoyable back nine.  Not spectacular, but solid and enjoyable in a nice setting).  The knock on that course is that the greens are fairly flat; an assessment with which I concur.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back