News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Links Bunkers, Matchplay and the Card
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:33:47 AM »
It struck me that the last four links bunkers I visited (my memory could be faulty), two at Hoylake and two at Burnham, have been unpleasant experiences.  The steepness of the walls, flat bottoms and/or the deep nature of seaside sand have conspired to make a reasonable play from them close to impossible.  My take has always been "thats life, pick up and carry on" (in truth that is what I am still inclined to say).  When I say reasonable it is in terms of matchplay and perhaps stableford.  Going out backwards isn't much help when the opponent lies a birdie putt away from the hole.  However, IMO in medal play going out backwards is not at all unreasonable.  I had never considered the difference on how bunkers could play depending on the format of golf.  Is this distinction valid?

I have also noticed that bunkers which gather from the tee/fairway tend to leave the player more options compared to bunkers which gather from the green.  When I say gather from the green I mean balls that were on or near the green but take a contour turn and trickle into a bunker.  Another case could be bunkers which lie between the green and mounding.  So shots that are pin highish hit mounding and trickle into bunkers.  Is there an intentional philisophical difference between the two styles which archies employ?  For instance, do archies intentionally place greenside gathering bunkers on short par 3s?  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

Re:Links Bunkers, Matchplay and the Card
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:47:57 AM »
Sean:

I really don't understand your distinction of "reasonableness".  If your opponent is on the green in medal play with a short birdie putt, and you're playing backwards from the fairway bunker, it's going to cost you even more, isn't it?

Perhaps you should take greater pains to avoid the fairway bunkers!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:08:49 AM »
It reminds me of a match at the Old Course that I had..

coming down the 16th with a 2-up lead, I hit the ball dead in the left green side bunker. My opponent is 15 feet away for birdie.

Can't play toward the hole, can't play 30 feet left or right, I had to hit a great shot just to put it 60 feet away. A group of scots along the rail were watching my thought process over the shot and were quite intrigued of what would be my decision...

Philippe Binette

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 10:31:35 AM »
...so I hit the shot to 60 feet, and focused on my par putt, it finished up an inches from the hole... I won the match on 17th but it could have been an awesome match moment

Pot bunkers or tough lies don't kill you in a match, your mind kill you more

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:52:16 AM »
Sean, no matter how you skin the cat, The answer is to avoid bunkers that are 1 stroke penalty.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back