News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Black Rock Country Club course profile...
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
...is posted under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

Good golf course architecture is ALWAYS about making the most of a particular situation.

Maybe the architect gets a 1 in 500 piece of property which ideally lends itself to good golf. Several of us just received a timely reminder of the characteristics that lend themselves to such golf by touring a couple of links in the U.K.

However, very few properties are blessed with such qualities, especially in North America where the coastlines are built out and/or off limits.

So how do architects deal with situations that range from slightly less than ideal to seemingly impossible? One of the best examples of an architect getting the max out of a tough situation is at Black Rock Country Club, just south of Boston. Largely built on and through a gravel quarry, Brian Silva had much (seemingly) going against him. Among other things, the entire site had NO topsoil or any shape-able fill.

Out of this less than promising start emerged a course that is an absolute delight to play. To understand how this occurred is to further one's understanding of the factors that go into good golf architecture. First, there was the issue of how in the world to route a course over such a (seemingly) hostile environment. Brian is kind enough to answer that question in detail in this course profile. Then come the construction and agronomy issues with challenges arising on an almost daily basis.

Throughout, the project stayed on track largely because of the relationship/chemistry between the owner, the architect and the Green Keeper. We are all aware of numerous cases where this triangle breaks down but at Black Rock, it never did, to the great credit of all parties involved.

Tony Pioppi has harangued me for several years to see this course and he was right to do so. Black Rock is a success story on so many levels and hopefully, the course profile captures some of why that is the case.

Cheers,

cary lichtenstein

Re:Black Rock Country Club course profile...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:06:36 PM »
Looks like an exciting course :) :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
Ran,

I'm glad you finally made it there. Black Rock is the real deal. Ron Whitten wrote a wonderful review of it a few years back yet it still does not appear on very many radar screens.

Tony

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »
I never heard of the course before.  It looks like an excellent course and a must see at some point.  Thanks for providing us with an exceptional review.  You spoil us, Ran.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:06:45 PM »
Great review, Brian Silva appears to have done a fantastic job starting from scratch and building the land around him. I bet he dreams of a piece of land in the style of Doonbeg to work on, I bet Greg didn't have any sleepless nights!
Cave Nil Vino

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »
Its an outstanding course with one of Silva's trademark "Green Monster" bunkers on number 4.  What a finish - 16, 17 and 18 are just monster par fours.

One of my favorites...

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
I thought that perhaps Royal Melbourne had adopted its local suburban name, aka Royal Liverpool/Hoylake, Royal Adelaide/Seaton, New South Wales/La Perouse and so Royal Melbourne/Black Rock.  ;D  Perhaps when Australia becomes a republic!

Looking forward to reading another Ran review.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:46:51 PM »
I find it interesting that this thread has already slipped to the second page and has only six previous posts. I'll bet my life had this been a post on Boston Golf Club, Black Rock's inferior neighbor, or a driving range designed by Tom Doak, the posts would be well over a hundred. Everybody who has visited Boston Golf Club and didn't take the time to play, or at least see, Black Rock please raise their hands.

A cult of personality.

Tony

david h. carroll

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »
From a couple of years ago on this very message board....I also seem to recall that some debated the fact that this Black Rock is much better than the one that won best new private that year.  It is a wonderful place and a fantastic golf course

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17470;start=msg308196#msg308196

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:02:53 PM by david h. carroll »

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:04:42 PM »
Tony -

Thanks for reminding me to chime in. I have played Black Rock but not Boston Golf Club.

Silva's discussion of the yoke placed upon him as he developed this course is fascinating and should be read carefully by all.

The high notes of Black Rock (to me 4, 6, 7, 12, 17) are as engaging as any holes anywhere.

I have a clear preference for Red Tail, Silva's course that was built at roughly the same time in roughly the same style. I would be curious to know what his limitations were, if any, on that vast old army base.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
Michael,

I think Red Tail is fantastic.

I do know that so much pesticides had been sprayed over the years around the buildings that were part of Fort Devens that the foundations were capped rather than the expensive alternative of removing the poisoned soil. Because the base remains active, I heard that there is a right-of-way for the military to cut through parts of the course with any vehicle they so choose. I guess that means the tanks that are all over the place out there could cut through if need be.

Tony
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:11:57 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Anthony Butler

Royal Baghdad...
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:22:35 PM »
Michael,

I think Red Tail is fantastic.

I do know that so much pesticides had been sprayed over the years around the buildings that were part of Fort Devens that the foundations were capped rather than the expensive alternative of removing the poisoned soil. Because the base remains active, I heard that there is a right-of-way for the military to cut through parts of the course with any vehicle they so choose. I guess that means the tanks that are all over the place out there could cut through if need be.

Tony

No... No... Tony, we're fighting them 'over there' so we don't have to fight them at Red Tail...

It would be an interesting conversation though between a golfer and an Al Quada operative though... "Now look here, my man, you can go on all you want about Allah Akbar, but I have the 10:30am tee time... I suggest you go talk to the pro.... No, I definitely do not know which tee box faces Mecca!"

Actually the only "danger' at Red Tail would be if one of the local prisoners escaped from the mental ward at the on base hospital... my father in law does that kind of consulting work and there are some sick puppies amongst them...
Next!

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 01:45:10 PM »
looks great!

just another east coast course I have to get to!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »
I'll bet my life had this been a post on Boston Golf Club, Black Rock's inferior neighbor, or a driving range designed by Tom Doak, the posts would be well over a hundred.

I hope no one booked that bet, as I don't think any previous BGC threads have made it to the hundred post level yet! :)

I suspect it's simply the lack of play. Hopefully the profile will chance that and there will be some interesting discussion in the future.

Now I'm off to search for the driving range Tom D designed....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »
Hey, Tony, blaming me for the lack of attention paid to Black Rock is pretty silly.  I haven't designed anything around there, and you can't really hold it against me for designing good courses where I AM working.

My associates will get a laugh out of the idea of me designing a driving range.  I don't spend much time on that part of the course, I let them and the owners figure out the practice facility.

The course sounds terrific, and good for Brian.  He should get lots more work (except for the projects I want to do).

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 02:44:10 PM »
Anthony,

No worries about the mental  hospital at Red Tail. My hometown of Middletown, CT is also the home of Connecticut Valley Hospital and Whiting Forensic Institute, the only state-run mental facilities in Connecticut. It is situated on on a lovely overlooking a sharp turn in the Connecticut River and the downtown reminding everyone we are this close to being there ourselves.

Hey Tom,

The reference was not about you, it was about your legion of lapdogs that christen everything you do the second coming of the Old Course. It's not your fault you have devoted fans, in fact, it's kind of cool. I don't hold it against you for designing good courses. I don't hold it against you for designing mediocre courses. I don't hold it against you for designing bad courses. I hold nothing against you. You are free and clear.

Tony

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 02:48:57 PM »
Yes, Michael, Red tail is excellent too...almost a public version of Black rock!

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »
Ran

Another in your series of stellar course reviews.

Mr Pioppi (Brian Silva's lapdog  ;D ) has been dogging me to see Black Rock for the longest time.  I took so much crap for skipping it during my brief trip this summer that I owe him a dinner at Dominick's on Arthur Avenue (hopefully next week Anthony).

Your review and pictures have solidified it as a destination of choice for next season.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
Tony - could it be that the lack of attention is because this course has 18 holes, and of course the world knows - thanks to a certain author - that the coolest courses truly only have 9?

;)

Seriously though, the place is in Boston, it's private, and I'd guess no more than a dozen participants here have played Boston Golf Club, let alone Black Rock.  They both look cool to me.

And given I hate all arky-licking lapdogs and tend to not give a crap if a course is designed by Tom Doak or Ralph Hoak or the inventor of Coke, well... I'd normally be with you on this.  But your logic fails... hell Ballyneal hasn't gotten THAT much attention in here - but yes, what what we do hear is that it is[/b] the second coming of the Old Course.  ;D  Not many people - relatively - have played that one either.

So if one hasn't played a golf course, what is one supposed to say on a thread like this other than "thanks Ran, looks cool"?  And when a few do that, it seems repetitive to me to just chime in.

But thanks Ran - looks like a cool course.  

TH

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »
I find it interesting that this thread has already slipped to the second page and has only six previous posts. I'll bet my life had this been a post on Boston Golf Club, Black Rock's inferior neighbor, or a driving range designed by Tom Doak, the posts would be well over a hundred. Everybody who has visited Boston Golf Club and didn't take the time to play, or at least see, Black Rock please raise their hands.

It's hard to have much of a discussion about new private courses with $125k initiation fees that relatively few people have played. I'm not making any judgment about how exclusive these clubs are—heck, if it's a business model that works for them, more power to ’em. But from a discussion standpoint, it is very diffficult to get a variety of views. Ran's analysis is excellent—I especially like the first-person narrative from Silva about the routing—but commenting on his commentary isn't going to rescue a thread from the second page for very long.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »
Dan - well said brother, couldn't agree more.

But maybe we've found a way to keep this on the top of the page... commentary on why there's no commentary....

;D ;D ;D

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »
Dan - well said brother, couldn't agree more.

But maybe we've found a way to keep this on the top of the page... commentary on why there's no commentary....

;D ;D ;D

using the words of your former fellow Californian, Mr. Reagan, Tom, "There you go again..." ;) :)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 03:23:26 PM »
Ran makes these reviews seem sooooo easy to write.  Believe me, they're challenging.  I've only done holes 1-6 of My Home Course, and they're nowhere near as well written as Ran's reviews.

And I thought I was a decent writer...   :'(

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
Yes it has $125,000 initiation fee but it also has an attitude that is friendly to raters, raters-to-be, want-to-be-raters and don't-ever-want-to-be raters. My lapdog Geoff Childs and at least one of his pups played Boston Golf Club and couldn't be bothered to even visit Black Rock. Bad dog Geoffrey; bad dog.

The good news is I get a fantastic Italian dinner out of his transgression.

Tony

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 03:29:12 PM »
Anthony,
I have your book sitting on my desk, I hope to get to read it soon.  Congratulations.

I was curious about your comment regarding an inferior neighbor.... I have an old friend who is a member of both, so I asked him what his split would be with 10 rounds remaining this season... his response:

"10 at boston cocktails at blackrock"

I look forward to finding out for myself one day.

The problem of slipping to the next page has nothing to do with the course.

Ran,
Nice review...  :)

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back