News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Lexington
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
What are your favorite / the 'best' courses in and around Lexington, KY?

Thanks
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Andy Troeger

Re:Lexington
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:30:03 PM »
Paul,
  Played four courses around there a couple of years ago. We played in April and all were very good deals and really pretty decent courses too. It was a nice trip to take a high school golf team on because they could afford to play.

We played Lakeside, Gibson Bay, GC of the Bluegrass, and Kearney Hill. They are different styles of course, but all comparable in quality, with Lakeside being somewhat below the other three. I personally thought Bluegrass was more interesting than I expected, with Kearney Hill not being as good as I had expected from its being ranked on some of the best-in-state lists.

Kearney Hill is called a "links" course because it does not feature many (any?) trees of note. Bluegrass is more treed, and it appeared they might be trying to develop the area (??). Gibson Bay probably had the best terrain of the bunch. All are worth playing, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear of better options.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:33:40 PM »
You pitched one into my wheelhouse here!

This very day I played likely the best public in the Lexington area. It is 'Houston Oaks, about 15 miles east near Paris, KY. Beautiful layout, kept in excellent condition. The courses you played are ok, with, IMHO, Gibson Bay being the best. A bit better are Cherry Blossom, The Bull, and Peninsula.

A few addendums:

1. If you consider 35 miles to be close enough, you really need to play Old Silo. It is tough, beautiful, Graham Marsh's 1st USA course, and a real find.

2. Very recently, the University of Kentucky has been allowing public play of 'Big Blue' on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. This is a great course, compare it with Purdue's [better IMHO}.

3. If you are in Kentucky you REALLY should see the State Park Signature Series ....... certainly almost absurdly underpriced 'Golf Trail' for about $40 each, before any discounts! Hidden Cove, Dale Hollow, and Eagle Ridge compare favorably with some of the best public courses in the Nation, period.

To summarize; Lexington has a LOT of good quality golf courses, and Kentucky is a true golf Haven. Take a 'golf and fishing' trip to Dale Hollow Lake for smallmouth bass [one of best places ever for it], and fantastic golf! Though I live in Cincinnati OH, I do a majority of my golfing in Kentucky. Can't be beat.

Doug

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:45:35 PM »
doug

Something rather close to I-75 is what i'd call close.

Thanks
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:05:39 PM »
Paul;

Cherry Blossom and The Bull are within a mile of I-75. But it is certainly worth 15 minutes to drive NE of #27 from I-75 to Houston Oaks.

I am sorry that Old Silo is 35 miles east on I-64; take a look at the website. http://www.oldsilo.com/newpage.asp?id=432&page=12818

Enjoy your golf in Kentucky.

Doug

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:52:53 PM »
Since the spokesman for KY golf (Doug) beat me to the punch on Old Silo (a very nice place), I will second Kearney Hills.  It is owned by city of Lexington, so it can be crowded, but overall a nice place to play.  Not too far off of I75 either if I remember correctly.  I've also played Griffin Gate--a hotel resort course that is a real dud, especially for what they charge.  

I can't remember exactly how far out of the way it would be, but if you are heading north on 75 towards Cincy, I think the Belterra course may be close--I've never played it, but I've heard some good things about.  South on I-75, I have no idea, Doug will have to help you out.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »
Perhaps I should rename this thread as "What are the best courses along I-75 in Kentucky?"

Thanks for any input

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
No, Lexington is spot on, for an amazing Ross restoration of a course that has just come out of nowhere -- Idle Hour CC, by Ron Prichard. See it; it's a dramatic tranformation. Not a great piece of land, and a few too many houses around it that not part of the property. But the holes, the strategy and the bunkering are quite well done. Note, it's a very private club, old line, old money, well-tended but low key about it
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:51:13 PM by Brad Klein »

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »
If you are a member of a private club you might want to have your professional try to make some arrangements.  There are some very nice  private clubs around

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:41:43 PM »
Paul:

Sticking close to I-75...

Keaney Hill definitely. I disagree with Doug on this. KH is a better golf course than generally acknowledged. Pete and PB Dye. Conditions are less than optimal due to a small maintenance budget but I'l put the run of holes 12-17 up against anything else in the Commonwealth. In its best condition of the year right now. $23 to walk.

Idle Hour is excellent as Brad says. (Brad- when were you there?) Also very near I-75 is Lexington CC. Very solid, old line club closely associated with the thoroughbred types.

Slightly farther off the interstate but only 20 minutes from the airport is Champions Trace. One of Art Hills' best which has hosted the US Sr. Amateur and the NCAA championships.

Near downtown Lexington is a little muni I really enjoy playing- Picadome. Once known as the Campbell House GC, it sits right behind the Campbell House Hotel on So. Main street. The city bought it a few years ago. Bermuda with tiny bent greens, I stand on tee after tee and think, "this is a really neat hole." The course that produced Masters champ Gay Brewer and a number of noteable KY amateurs. Don't put it ahead of Kearney or the CC's if you can get on them, but if you have the time I think you'd have fun there.

Cherry Blossom is just off the I-75 in Georgetown, 10 miles North. Of those I've mentioned, this is the one I'd skip.

If you're going to be a far North as Cincinnati. Lassing Pointe is 15 minutes off of 75 in Union, KY, a little south of the Cincinnati/No. Kentucky international airport. Play it if you are in the area. $37.00 to walk.

It's going to be chilly around here this week but warming up for the weekend.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 08:31:20 PM »
Yes;

Belterra is a very nice Fazio. In Southern Indiana, but best accessed by going I-75 into KY, west on I-74 toward Louisville, and through Warsaw KY, over the Ohio River bridge, and you are there. Only about 20 miles off I-75. But $100 for the resort course is still too steep IMHO, when there are other excellent options.

I admit I found Kearney Hill a bit dull. It had some good holes, but also many mediocre ones, sorry. I liked Dye's Peninsula better. But if you are in N KY or S OH and want Dye, definitely try Dye's Buck Point, in SE IN, about an hour from Cincy. We played this course for an amzing $20, and loved it!

Lassing Pointe is just 5 miles off I-75 just south of Cincy. A nice layout, immacualately conditioned, and huge beautiful greens. Fun!

I truly wish i could get some of you into E KY to play Hidden Cove, Stonecrest, and Eagle Ridge. Fantastic! Or of course again Dale Hollow. The KY 'Golf Trail' is better than the Alabama one that is so much better known. And it is still growing!

BTW, I will second the fun of Picadome, the very old City course in Lexington. At first it looks a bit basic, but a LOT of subtlety, especially around the greens. Very nice Pro too!

Again, welcome to Kentucky, land of golf!

Doug

PS: I have only ever gotten to play one private course, but Kentucky has becomes well know for great ones. Triple Crown in N KY, Champion's Trace [I do not know about Idle Hour, sounds good tho] in Lexington, Persimmon Ridge, Valhalla, Audobon, and Lake Forest in Louisville, and apparently gonna best is Olde Stone in Bowling Green [Hill's, sorry]. If you can get on them, apparently you won't regret it.

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Photo%20Pages/OldeStone%20photo.html

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 08:32:49 PM »
Jim

Are KH and Idle Hour anywhere close to each other?

Sounds like an interesting 1-2 punch....

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 09:15:17 PM »
Paul- They are no more than twenty minutes apart, less depending on traffic.  If you are staying downtown, you are very close to Idle Hour and fifteen minutes frokm Kearney.

When are you here? I am playing Kearney on Sunday. No promises but we may have room in our group of 12.

Jim

Doug- No need to apologise! We all have our preferences. But is there a better par four in KY than 17 at Kearney? If there is, I haven't played it!

Jim
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 09:32:10 PM »
jim

just im'd you

thanks for all the info!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 11:14:36 PM »
Paul- They are no more than twenty minutes apart, less depending on traffic.  If you are staying downtown, you are very close to Idle Hour and fifteen minutes frokm Kearney.

When are you here? I am playing Kearney on Sunday. No promises but we may have room in our group of 12.

Jim

Doug- No need to apologise! We all have our preferences. But is there a better par four in KY than 17 at Kearney? If there is, I haven't played it!

Jim

Jim,
Good call on #17. I do think that end stretch was pretty good...unfortunately I was playing a match against a fellow who was 4 up heading into 13 the time I played there! I got it down to 2 heading into 17...and birdied the last two. Unfortunately the other fellow topped me on 18!

More on topic...17 is a long tough par four that's also IMO the prettiest hole on the course with the water. I thought that one worked quite a bit better than 16, which was a more typical water par 4...although with a pretty good green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back