News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Hendren

Desert Forest Succumbs?
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »
Any truth to the rumor that Desert Forest will overseed this fall?

Paging Dr. Klein.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_Tully

Re:Desert Forest Succumbs?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 04:23:13 PM »
They actually overseeded some years ago, 1997-8 timeframe if I recall correctly. So this is not necessarily something new for them if they do. They had some issues then and I would assume that they were rectified in the work that was done there recently.

Tully

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »
Are there different forms of over-seeding?

I've seen the craziness that the Palm Springs course go through. Scalping the bermuda, to put down a whole new mat of Rye. Closing the course for weeks and weeks.

I recall one of the crew had this idea at Pacific Grove to put down some winter rye seed. In the winter when the KK would go dormant, there would still be a slight green tint from the rye.

Thoughts on practicalities?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
Adam,

Overseeding usually creates two difficult transition periods.

One in the fall and one in the spring.

It's a roll of the dice.

If you can predict the weather you can determine whether overseeding would be necessary/desireable.

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 06:49:36 PM »
But there are all sorts of different rates (intensities) of overseeding. I'm trying to find out what the rate will be at DFGC this year, but yes, the membership decided to overseed fairways and roughs. New superintendent Karl Olson, formerly of NGLA and onboard for just over a year now, is handling things. If anyone can be entrusted to preserve DFGC's firm, fast playing character, Karl is the one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back