News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Gary Daughters

Neil Young DOES Play Golf
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:53:46 PM »
Or so it seems.

But I was just listening to one of his rockers and the syncopation made me think of how I hit a wedge shot off a snug lie.  It's like you add half a beat to let the club settle into a place where it can hit that difficult shot.

Where else, other than Arts and Crafts :-*does art imitate golf?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:46:24 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Neil Young Doesn't Play Golf
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:58:26 PM »
Gary, GREAT thread!

Somewhere buried deep in the archives is my Wineries and Golf Architects thread. They are sympatico. It was shortly after a trip to Napa and the wines and the wineries just hit me in the face like a bus in the night. It was so painfully obvious. And if you don't think Winemaking isn't art.......

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »

Dude,

I knew you'd be the one to chime in.  Bring back the guitar!
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:11:47 PM »
I will, I will!!!!

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:14:48 PM »
But is he a golf course architect?????
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JMorgan

Re:Neil Young Doesn't Play Golf New
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 10:20:03 PM »
Gary, Neil Young does in fact play golf.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:51:14 AM by JMorgan »

Gary Daughters

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 10:31:11 PM »

Paul.. but of course:

OUTWARD NINE:

1) Sugar Mountain
2) I am a Child
3) Mr. Soul
4) Cinnamon Girl
5) Ambulance Blues
6) Time Fades Away
8) Harvest
9) Tonight's the Night

INWARD NINE:

10) Cortez the Killer
11) Hurricane
12) Loner
13) Powderfinger
14) After the Gold Rush
15) Harvest
16) Hey hey, my my
17) Ohio
18) Down by the River

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 10:38:30 PM »
I also like his work with Crosby, Stills, & Nash. They are so harmonious with nature...... ;)

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 10:42:04 PM »
I'm assuming that 18 is a long par 5?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »

Lotta par-5's on that back nine.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 11:20:13 PM »

Rust Never Sleeps

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:49:09 PM »
I was lieing in a burned out basement with the full moon in my eyes.I was hoping for a replacement when the sun burst through the skies,there was a band playing in my head.....this hole is screwed up by more modern architects.Any one following me here?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 12:11:02 AM »

velly baad mon

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 12:21:42 AM »
Out of the Blue and into the Black....

Strantz's True Blue

Bethpage Black

RUSTic Canyon Never Sleeps......

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 01:22:08 AM »
He's actually a pretty avid golfer - enough so to have played in the Crosby a couple of years back.

His pal Stephen Stills is a member of Bel-Air.  The notion of those two mixing with that crowd makes me smile to no end....

Eric Franzen

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 03:21:16 AM »
Yes, Daniel is correct. Neil Young is a golfer and played the AT&T a couple of years ago.

Neil going for the pin at Pebble's 5th:

Stan Dodd

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 10:45:05 AM »
Great topic. Great artist!
Neil acoustic = minimalist
Neil and Crazy Horse = Big Earth movers

Nice list above but Neil has a huge body of relevant and exciting work post 1976.

SPDB

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »
For those of you that didn't get to see Heart of Gold, here is an interesting interview with Young and director Jonathan Demme that aired on Studio 360 earlier this year.

LINK TO MP3

SPDB

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »
Redanman:

That should be in the maintenance shed, or cart hut.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 11:53:38 AM »

Redan,

The header stays as an admission of my folly.  Something Denny Hastert should have done.  Audible yuks, under the circumstances, to Speaker Boehner (pronounced, as they say, BAY-nur).

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
Speaking of post-1976 Neil, I'm surprised no one has yet brought up a track from 1990's "Ragged Glory" album, the chorus of which could be taken as a mantra for most golfers on a bad day...

"Mindless drifter on the road..."

Anyone follow?

Also, a quick look at GHIN reveals Neil hasn't played much (if at all) since the Pro-Am a few years back.  Been too busy writing and performing I guess...

SPDB

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »

Also, a quick look at GHIN reveals Neil hasn't played much (if at all) since the Pro-Am a few years back.  Been too busy writing and performing I guess...

...and surviving an aneurysm. Probably added a bit of perspective.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 12:15:35 PM »

Paul.. but of course:

OUTWARD NINE:

1) Sugar Mountain
2) I am a Child
3) Mr. Soul
4) Cinnamon Girl
5) Ambulance Blues
6) Time Fades Away
8) Harvest
9) Tonight's the Night

INWARD NINE:

10) Cortez the Killer
11) Hurricane
12) Loner
13) Powderfinger
14) After the Gold Rush
15) Harvest
16) Hey hey, my my
17) Ohio
18) Down by the River

I see you've gone for "classic" Young designs; I'd opt for some of his newer work, such as "After the Garden is Gone".  I won't suggest adding my personal favorite "Let's Impeach The President", but it would be a great, great finisher to ANY course!

As part of our 25th anniversary celebration (which is TODAY, by sheerest coincidence :)) my wife and I went to see CSN&Y here in Atlanta in late August.  I've got to say that Young was as much a force of nature as ever on stage, and Crosby and Nash sounded great as well.  Stills' voice is pretty shot, but that's okay.  What a great, great body of work by 4 guys over the last 40 years.

The show was 50% concert, 50% anti-war rally, led by the stuff from Young's new CD and including a sing along on "Let's Impeach...".  It was just dynamite; one of the best shows I have ever seen; my spirit was lifted.  Not everyone felt the same way, but that's America, and CSN&Y were fine with the people that booed and the people that left.  Few did either, though. ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:16:12 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Gary Daughters

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 12:26:01 PM »

A.G. ...

My man!  

Happiest of anniversaries to you and your wife.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
Neil P. hasn't posted scores in a while, but I hear he still plays at an old favorite from the Bravenet discussion board days...HMB:

Neil P. Young GHIN
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back