News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Top 100 Golf Courses of the World...a comprehensive web site
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:07:34 PM »
Here is a link.. http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/topcourses.asp  don't miss the book store at.. http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/shop/default.asp You will also find lists broken down for most countries individually and even a section on bargains and resorts.  Any idea who put this together as I couldn't figure it out.

Joe Perches

John Kavanaugh

Re:Top 100 Golf Courses of the World...a comprehensive web site
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:20:29 PM »
This site is so huge sometimes it takes a while to find everything.  That being said here is a link to their US top 100 which they say is new..

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/country.asp?id=177
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 03:23:05 PM by John Kavanaugh »

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:22:35 PM »
Looks like they're also cribbing photos from this website.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 03:23:18 PM »
Paging Wayne Morrison...

May want to check that architectural attribution for the current Shinny course.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 03:35:12 PM »
I purchased the book that they put together.  Not bad stuff.  It gives a little insight to some courses that might hitherto rarely are touted.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »
Interesting that Ballyneal is (already) featured under U.S. courses, though Erin Hills and Dismal River are not.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »

A number of courses I would not rated as highly as they did, but an interesting list to be sure.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »
2 Donald Trump Courses, this must be the best list ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JMorgan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 04:35:53 PM »
2 Donald Trump Courses, this must be the best list ;D

I was waiting for that!  ::)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
Let's keep this positive and count the Doak courses now in the world top 100...I was pleased to see Cape Kidnappers so high as shown: note..You gotta love the comment about Doak's lack of ego in the write up..proves these guys don't hang around here.

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=463

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
This site is so huge sometimes it takes a while to find everything.  That being said here is a link to their US top 100 which they say is new..

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/country.asp?id=177

I love their description of NGLA: "... it's a 'Bear's Best' of the early 20th century."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »
Scott

I think Ballyneal appears as a GEM rather than a rated course.  

Yes, I saw that.  I just thought it interesting that they (already) had a course featured (from the U.S., no less) that opened just a few months ago.   I'm guessing that they place some courses based on outside submissions.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
Looks like they're also cribbing photos from this website.

Sean,
I noticed some photos there that we mine, always nice to be asked permission.  ::)

Ed Tilley

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 03:54:43 AM »
This is an excellent site if you're planning a short trip to the UK. You can search by geographical region - if you want to go to SW England for instance you can click that area on the map and it will list all the courses by ranking. I've found it very useful in the past.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:08:47 AM »
from a uk and ireland perspective, this site used to be much better because it gave you the top 100 in britain and ireland (as golf world magazine do every two years)... unfortunately it now splits it down to the five countries in that region...

...also, i always think that world ranking tables are too widespread... for instance, US publications always rate certain UK and Ireland courses higher than others because they get more publicity in the US... should kingsbarns really rate above every open rota course other than st andrews, birkdale and muirfield?... guess this theory holds true with all rating systems across all walks of life.... still, for uk and ireland courses, i think the biennial golf world publication gives a better list...

...can't talk for the rest of the world

Mark_F

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:29:51 AM »
Any list which includes Royal Birkdale in the world's top twenty has to be more suspect than a poofta at a brickie's BBQ.

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »

I love their description of NGLA: "... it's a 'Bear's Best' of the early 20th century."

from the way everyone who has played there absolutely raves about NGLA, the above -quote has probably sent a few of them into shock, spasms, cryings fits, etc...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 01:42:36 PM »
Here is the full review, you may note that it is far more interesting than a 8.86.

National Golf Links of America, United States of America

Sebonac Inlet Road
Southampton
Long Island
New York (NY) 11968
USA
   Charles Blair Macdonald
   James E. Morris
   +1 631 283 0559
   2 miles N of Southampton
   Members and their guests only
   Randall Herring

On the shore edge of Peconic Bay at Southampton on Long Island is the National Golf Links of America. “I will not describe that delightful spot again.” Wrote Bernard Darwin in Golf Between Two Wars. “It is one of the best and most enchanting of courses.” Known simply as “National”, this is the ultimate design creation from the father of American golf course architecture. Charles Blair Macdonald apparently coined the term “golf architect” and it’s a complete masterpiece.

Macdonald’s ambition was to create the greatest course in the United States and he started his mission in 1902 by making the first of five annual summer trips to the UK. He complied details of important features of golf holes analysing why weak holes were often dull and what really made good holes good. In 1907, using his extensive knowledge, he set about creating the greatest golf course of its time. The National Golf Links finally opened for play in 1909 to a rapturous standing ovation.

This is a golf course of monumental historical importance, it’s a “Bear’s Best” of the early 20th century. Each hole at the National is named and the 2nd, called “Sahara” is based on the 3rd at Royal St George’s. The 3rd, called “Alps” replicates the challenging blind approach shot taken from the brilliant 17th at Prestwick, where a confrontational hill and a huge bunker protecting the undulating green front must be carried. The 4th, called “Redan” copies the 15th at North Berwick where the long green is set at an angle. The 7th, called “St Andrews” uses features of the famous “Road” hole and the 13th is indebted to the “Eden” hole of the Old course.

The National is set in more than 250 acres of gently rolling Long Island landscape. The varied topography is not only beautiful but it’s dramatic too, holding you captivated from the opening tee shot to the last putt. With theatrical green complexes that are extremely varied, putting at the National can be the ultimate challenge. Many greens undulate wildly while others are flat as pancakes but they all share a common denominator and that it their size… they are simply huge. The routing is ostensibly nine out and nine back, but somehow the holes seem to zigzag up and down making the wind an ever-present obstacle.

If you haven’t played the National, you need to hold on to the “six degrees of separation” theory, which proposes that anyone can be connected to a member of the National Golf Links of America through a series of acquaintances that has no more than four intermediaries. Keep that thought in mind. Who knows? One day perhaps?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 08:32:25 AM »
Nicklaus was not working as an architect in the early part of the 20th century...The term Bear's Best is a way of calling National a tribute course which is an interesting take.  The entire paragraph is below:

This is a golf course of monumental historical importance, it’s a “Bear’s Best” of the early 20th century. Each hole at the National is named and the 2nd, called “Sahara” is based on the 3rd at Royal St George’s. The 3rd, called “Alps” replicates the challenging blind approach shot taken from the brilliant 17th at Prestwick, where a confrontational hill and a huge bunker protecting the undulating green front must be carried. The 4th, called “Redan” copies the 15th at North Berwick where the long green is set at an angle. The 7th, called “St Andrews” uses features of the famous “Road” hole and the 13th is indebted to the “Eden” hole of the Old course.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:08 AM »
Bill,

I like the web sites references to classic figures...This is my favorite quote from the review as it reminds me of the first time Darwin was mentioned where I was reading and I replied that I didn't know the Monkey Trial guy was into golf...and people thought I was kidding.  I would like to see similar links on the major mags web sites..

On the shore edge of Peconic Bay at Southampton on Long Island is the National Golf Links of America. “I will not describe that delightful spot again.” Wrote Bernard Darwin in Golf Between Two Wars. “It is one of the best and most enchanting of courses.” Known simply as “National”, this is the ultimate design creation from the father of American golf course architecture. Charles Blair Macdonald apparently coined the term “golf architect” and it’s a complete masterpiece.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back