News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Photo test
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »
This is the result of a thoroughly frustrating photobucket morning.

Assuming this worked who can name the course?

Thanks to James Bennett for the tutorial.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:38:31 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Adam Clayman

Re:Photo test
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 02:04:30 PM »
I'd have first thought of an early picture from Tasmania. Looking closer, I'd have to assume the crew at Renaissance would hate me for saying that. The tie ins don't look to be the work of Tom's gang.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for playing.  Difrn't universe though.

While we're at it, who wants to explain "tie ins?"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:35:25 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
Gary -

Knowing your enthusiasm for Tain, I am tempted to say this pic is from there, but I can't remember a hole there like this one. Am I close?

DT  

Gary Daughters

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:40:38 PM »

David,

You're disqualified

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:52:33 PM »
While we're at it, who wants to explain "tie ins?"

Gary,

When speaking of "tie-ins", one is refering to the integration of the created landscape with the contours of the natural.

TK

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 02:59:39 PM »
Gary, is that a rail line on top of the berm in the background?

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »
Gary

for the benefit of other potential photo-posters, was it difficult to get a photo up, really?  Any words of wisdom from a new but succesful novice photo poster for the other would-if-I-could guys.  What was the key stumbling block to get over?  It seems so easy when you have done it a few times, you forget what the break-through issues are.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:46:03 PM »

James M. --

If you see a rail line it may be so.  There is a train from Tain to Dornoch, but the bridge across the firth seems to have usurped its reason for being.

James B. --

Getting the images from photobucket to GCA is a snap, but uploading onto photobucket has been a bit trying.  These images didn't take too long.. maybe ten minutes.  But earlier I had pictures that wouldn't take and I had my computer crash several times.  This may be a me problem.  Not sure.

Anyway, play Tain!

JMorgan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:57:41 PM »
Ah, lovely!  Keep 'em coming.

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 08:05:57 PM »
Gary

it may have just been yesterday.  It took forever to upload 4 photos to Photobucket about 12 hours ago.  I thought my PC was crook.  Sounds like Photobucket was having a bad day.

I expect the next time you try the upload will be 'not as slow'.  It is never quick, but yesterday was a shocker, perhaps a tenth of the normal 'speed'.  It killed my desire to post some other pictures.  Another time.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
Gary -

Those are some lovely photos of Tain. While I would not want to distract our fellow GCA-ers from your handiwork, the club does maintain a nice gallery of photos of the course on its website.

www.tain-golfclub.co.uk/gallery/1.html

DT

Gary Daughters

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 08:38:16 PM »

James .. if you twist my arm..

First.. Trevose guest house in Dornoch, which I refer to simply as Mrs. McKenzie's.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:33:17 PM »
Gary -

Those are very nice pix of Tain. Seeing them makes me wish I had gotten my act together for taking some pix of Golspie when we were there last month. The purple heather was in full bloom and the "heathland" holes at Golspie looked spectacular. Maybe next year.

Tain has quite a bit of gorse.  Try to go there some time in May, when it is in full bloom.

DT  

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 08:10:43 AM »
another question on tie-ins if you don't mind...

"When speaking of "tie-ins", one is refering to the integration of the created landscape with the contours of the natural"

ok, so i understand what that means but adam clayman suggested that the  photo of tain didn't look like tom doak work... i'm just wondering why?

quench my thirst for knowledge, please? thanks

tain looks lovely by the way... would you choose it ahead of brora and golspie if making the trip north?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »

Ally..

If you go that far, there's no reason/excuse not to play all 3.  I could spend several weeks playing the Dornoch, Tain, Brora, Golspie, Struie rota.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »
Ally -

To echo Gary's sentiments, if you do go that far north, be sure to play all 3 courses (Tain, Brora & Golspie) should you visit Dornoch.

Each has a different and worthwhile character. You should decide for yourself which course you enjoy more. It would be hard to say that one is "better" than the others.

I would rank the Dornoch Struie course a notch below the other three, only because the five new (and very good) holes do not quite fit the character of the older holes. However, the Struie is certainly a strong test of golf.

DT

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 10:04:48 AM »
thanks gary, david.... time constraints will probably mean only three rounds so it will likely be dornoch and two of tain, brora and golspie

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 10:13:21 AM »
another question on tie-ins if you don't mind...

"When speaking of "tie-ins", one is refering to the integration of the created landscape with the contours of the natural"

ok, so i understand what that means but adam clayman suggested that the  photo of tain didn't look like tom doak work... i'm just wondering why?

Ally,

I will not try to put words in Mr. Clayman's mouth, but my take on his comment would focus on the hill to the right of the fairway. The transition into the fairway is rather abrupt (steep hill ~ flatish fairway). Hypothetically, if that fairway was created by earthmoving, the bottom edge of the hill would likely have been tapered well into the fairway to create a more smooth transition between the two distinct forms.

TK

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 10:22:36 AM »
thanks tyler... i just assumed that the fairway and hill were completely natural and little or no earth had been moved... is this being naive? do you always have to move earth, even if it is minimal?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 10:41:34 AM »

That to me is the beauty of those old jewels like Tain.. what you see is what you got.

Ally..

You're headed for the same mistake I made.  I beg you.. don't do it!!  Give yourself another day or two.  

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
thanks tyler... i just assumed that the fairway and hill were completely natural and little or no earth had been moved... is this being naive? do you always have to move earth, even if it is minimal?

Ally,

No, I also believe this hole to be all-natural. The comments made by Adam and myself would pertain only if this golf course was shaped by an architect rather than found as it likely was.

TK

Gary Daughters

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 11:21:44 AM »
Tyler, Adam, anyone..

What if "tie-in" were removed from the minimalist vocabulary?
Or "minimalized."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:25:49 AM by Gary Daughters »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back