News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Foursomes - have you ever played?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
I found this old thread after playing my first foursomes match yesterday. A high handicapper, I was paired with a guy playing off 9, and suggested that he take the par 3's, which at Reddish Vale are mainly even numbers.

Although we won and are through to the next round, in future we will definitely reverse roles. His big strength was his driving, and it frustrated him not to get his driver out until the 8th hole, after watching me hit meagre 220 yard tee shots to patches of fairway he had never stopped at before! To compound things, he only hit one green at the short holes anyway. Even I can manage that!

I absolutely loved the foursome format, though. Despite being a little difficult to keep your game's momentum going, the bonding, team spirit, and tactical subterfuge made for a fabulous game. I'd never even met my partner before but now we are great buddies.

In the next round we're playing two guys with sub-4 handicaps. They'll be giving us 14 shots! I'll wager that they will be the more worried...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:56:12 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
Generally speaking, if I have to play as a 2ball (which is essentially what 4somes is - two 2balls - if played properly), I would rather it be as a proper 2ball.  If I want a game other than betterball to liven up my life, Greensomes employs far more strategic team decision-making and is more fun than 4somes.  I view 4somes as a game to be played if two must be played on the same day - something I try to avoid.  The exception is winter - 4somes is alright on a cold day when a good bowl of soup is waiting.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
I probably play foursomes on a 4:1 ratio to singles and would always prefer a foursome to singles or fourball.

It is the perfect after lunch game to walk off the wine.

Top marks to Brancaster to be the first club to bring in a foursomes greenfee so visitors are actually encouraged to play the game.
Cave Nil Vino

JLahrman

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
I played foursomes several times in an annual Ryder Cup style event with a group of friends. The course? Atrocious. The skills of the players? Anywhere from a 2 to 20 handicap. The intensity? Inversely proportional to the amount of beers consumed. Foursomes was a ton of fun.

Will Peterson

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »
Growing up in the US, I only played foursomes once, and it was a disaster.

While studying in London, I filled in on my club's team in winter matches against other local clubs.  The format was foursomes.  When I met my partner for my first match, the only thing he told me was, “never say you’re sorry.”  I think it was great advice.  We made a late charge, but lost a close one.  While having a pint afterwards, our opponents said, “we knew we were going to win when a Yank showed up on the first tee.   You’re hopeless at foursomes.” (This was the spring after the 2006 Ryder Cup.)

After a few more matches, I really enjoyed the format.  I also think it would be a lot more fun with a regular partner.  Most at my club and the ones we played had regular partners who they played with year after year in interclub matches and in foursome events at their clubs.  I think if you played with the same person often, the whole aspect of letting your partner down would go away.  There would have been enough times that you let each other down or got each other out of trouble that it wouldn’t be an issue any more.  I also think that you need to play with a partner who is reasonably close in playing ability.

Since moving back to the US, I have tried to get friends to play the format, but have had no success. 

The only time I’ve played foursomes since moving back was at the WSGA Team Championship.  I think the tournament format was a blast, and would like to see more of it.  The first round was fourball, second was foursomes, and third you each played your own ball.  This would give you a 72 hole score.  I believe the format was changed last year to a third round 2 man scramble, which I don’t personally like.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
Speaking of letting your partner down...
in the early 90's I played in a pro-am at Melrose on Daufuskie.(where I met Charlie Rhymer for the first time)
There were 20 pros so they used a foursome format on the first hole to eliminate 10 players (5 teams)
My partner busts one down the middle, the longest drive of the 10 teams.
I bury the next shot under the lip, unplayable-end of partnership, both out of the shootout.

Then, to add insult to injury, to keep people following the match, they hold a long drive contest on 17, I win it and I get back in.
I eagle 18 and win the shootout ;) ::) ;D
I avoided eye contact with my foursome partner at dinner that night.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Johnson

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
foursomes can be a fun break, especially if the course is empty and you cruise in carts

Problem is that if all of the groups in front of you are fourball then there is a TON of standing around

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
The biggest problem with foursomes in the States is nobody plays it!   Unless you are the only players on the course, you are going to play much faster than the other players on the course.   

Too bad, because true foursomes is really fun.  I fully agree with the thought that you and your partner should just relax and what happens, happens.  No apologies!

Ian_L

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 12:57:17 AM »
Has anybody ever tried playing two alternate shot matches simultaneously? In other words, all four players tee off, then partners play each other's ball on shot 2, and switch off again for shots 3, 4, etc.

This would not improve pace of play and would remove the strategy of selecting which player tees of on even/odd numbered holes, but would at least keep the interest of having to go chase someone else's errant tee shot. It would also be more attractive to Americans who want to hit every tee shot. Thoughts?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »
We shouldn't over-romanticise UK golf, as if golfing life over here is a constant diet of links courses, 36 hole days with a boozy lunch and a rapid round of foursomes in the afternoon.

That world exists, but it's only a small part of the whole golf community. Even at most clubs, foursomes is relatively unusual - there might be a couple of competitions a year in that format, and perhaps one or two in greensomes, especially mixed ones - and in the pay and play market I suspect you hardly see it at all.

Which is not to downplay how much fun it can be, and how great an experience playing at a strict two-ball club is. But it's only a fragment of the overall golf market. I wish it were larger, but it's not.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 05:00:28 AM »
I probably play foursomes on a 4:1 ratio to singles and would always prefer a foursome to singles or fourball.

It is the perfect after lunch game to walk off the wine.

Top marks to Brancaster to be the first club to bring in a foursomes greenfee so visitors are actually encouraged to play the game.

Chappers

Brancaster does an excellent job with its pricing of 4somes and I would go for it.  If you want to play 36 4somes (£75) it is cheaper than 18 singles (£85).  It also looks like if you play 4somes in the AM 18 at singles in the PM is on offer for the same price as merely playing 18 singles.  Of course, the system only works if 4somes is by far the main game on the course - otherwise there is a potential for a lot of standing around. 

I see its cheaper to play 36 4somes at Deal than 18 singles, but it still costs nearly £120.  I would think this would be a hard sell.   

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 05:13:44 AM »
Is this thread really 6 years old?  I've played a lot more foursomes since 2006 and have grown to enjoy it even more.  Played properly it really tests your game in a way that even singles doesn't.  In the course of winning a club knock-out match a couple of weekends ago, my partner knocked our 20ft birdie putt 6 feet past at the 10th.  It was only the second putt he had had in the round.

My favourite day in golf is a members day at HCEG, 18 singles, lunch, 18 foursomes from the pool.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 05:33:49 AM »
Sadly Foursomes is now rarely played casually and is quite unpopular with the modern golfer. Quite a lot of people dont have much time and the time they have they want a full game not half of one. Greensomes is less unpopular at least you both get a knock off the tee. The only foursomes we play is the club matches, very popular but not because of format, although the one plus is speed but even that can have a bad effect if the foursomes get held up behind regular four ball play. No real solution, foursomes will gradually fade further I expect, if it goes off the County, Walker and Ryder formats it might go quicker, what will keep it as a once a year thing is that most clubs have an 'honours board' trophy thats played under foursomes format.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Stephens

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
My club has recently introduced a foursomes knockout event and its a 5 year old club - nice to see something different! (the scratch singles knockout was introdduced last year incorporating the club pros which was popular!)

Foursomes - I have played over 100 rounds of it - its 'tough love' :)!! I play in the Grafton Morrish (an old public schoolboys comp) whose finals are held at both Hunstanton and Brancaster. Also I have been in the final of the annual East Anglian foursomes at Hunstanton before its a great comp with 50 pairs! with at least 3 rounds played.

It only takes 3hr to play a foursomes round and its unusual to keep walking from the tee and then next shot is a putt or chip on the green on par 4's!!

Cheers
Ben

Giles Payne

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »
I really enjoy foursomes - as my club is a two ball club we pay almost no three or fourball golf. As people have said it adds an additional layer of mental challenge as well as the camaraderie element. I go as far as to say that I would much rather have a 3hr foursomes round (although if you get on with it it can be done in sub 2:30) than a 5hr fourball.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 06:54:40 AM »
It may not be popular in the USA / NZ / AUS but nothing beats a day of foursomes golf. Friday last was the spring meeting of the Dinner Match Society, a group of gents who only play foursomes golf. Fun is an understatement.

The game has a different dynamic when the self absorption of playing your own ball is removed.

Speed is key too. When time is scarce how can you look past 36 holes with a long liquid lunch between and home by 5pm!!

And from an architecture geek POV it's good to see the course thru a different players eyes.
@Pure_Golf

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »
You'll never see foursomes at a daily fee course.  If I'm paying $100, I'm not going to be happy getting 1/2 the shots I paid for.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »
Goldie - did you play with the Dinner Match Society? They are a great bunch of chaps who certainly know how to play golf and enjoy the finer things in life. Last time they were at RCP they brought along their own magnums of bordeaux for luncheon!
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
I've played foursomes golf more than probably 95+% of the people on this forum.  Its is a highly overrated form of the game which is a good substitute if you are incapable of and/or unwilling to play proper golf.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:12:24 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:49 PM »
I've played foursomes golf more than probably 95+% of the people on this forum.  Its is a highly overrated form of the game which is a good substitute if you are incapable of and/or unwilling to play proper golf.

Are you forced to play the format at certain times?

I was surprised to see that the first mention of foursomes didn't appear in the rules until 1895. Rather new 'game'.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rich Goodale

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

I was surprised to see that the first mention of foursomes didn't appear in the rules until 1895. Rather new 'game'.

I'm only rarely "forced" to play, Jim.  My clubs do not have "2-ball" restricted times, and outisde of visits to clubs which expect one to play 4-somes at specific times, I mostly play the format only when I wish to, mostly in mixed gender competitions (with my wife) and at BUDAs where I can claim to have introduced the concept to GCA.com competitions in 2003.  It is a fun format if you play it at your will. I'm not sure how much fun it would be over time if forced to play by the antediluvian ethos of many clubs here in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:41:47 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »

I'm only rarely "forced" to play, Jim.  My clubs do not have "2-ball" restricted times, and outisde of visits to clubs which expect one to play 4-somes at specific times, I mostly play the format only when I wish to, mostly in mixed gender competitions (with my wife) and at BUDAs where I can claim to have introduced the concept to GCA.com competitions in 2003.  It is a fun format if you play it at your will. I'm not sure how much fun it would be over time if forced to play by the antediluvian ethos of many clubs here in the UK.

I see you got around to answering my question in your last sentence.  ;)

Thanks, and don't let anyone force you into playing.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »
I'm with Rich.  Foursomes is fun with the right gang, but I wouldn't want to do it more frequently than say occasionally!

The only times I have ever played foursomes in the USA is with GCAers.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
A situaton where an adapted fousomes format works brilliantly is when introducing youngsters to a full round of golf. A neighbour and I took our ten-year lads round Reddish Vale recently and played fousomes but with the dads taking all the tee shots. It meant that the boys got the full experience of 18 holes of golf but without the frustration of not being able to make the carries off the tees. We still got round in 4 hours.

A return match is planned very soon!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »
As a general rule does player 2 head on down the fairway while player 1 is preparing to play a shot, thereby expediting play and effectively forecaddying?  Or do the four participants typically stroll together?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back