News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re:How I would lead the US Ryder Cup team to victory in 2008
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 12:48:12 AM »
My answer to the problem. More gin and tonics every night and fewer Bible classes.

I am reminded of the time when Harry Vardon was asked to take the Pledge by a curmudgeon from the Womens Temperance League. He drew himself up to a great height and thundered, "Madame, I have yet to be beaten by a tee-totaller and see no reason to change my daily choice of a good tot of whisky."

My sort of guy.

Bob

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 12:51:08 AM »
Bob --

My earlier reccommendation of more beer for the U.S. was not facetious. A friend of mine was at Oakland Hills for the 2004 Ryder Cup and attributed the European victory to the CB factor: cases of beer. He said there was one empty case outside the U.S. headquarters, and 20 outside the Euros'.

I'll bet it was more like 40 to 1 this year.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John_Conley

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 12:58:28 AM »
I'll bet it was more like 40 to 1 this year.

91 to 57 was the breakdown I heard on birdies.  No wonder they lost.

T_MacWood

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 06:51:54 AM »
It seems to me these things normally come down to putting contests, and its hard to putt well when you are tight. My recomendation would be to relax and enjoy it more. Dr. Katz!?

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
Tim, John Daly has been "the people's choice" for a captain's pick for years.  The problem is he can never qualify on points.  The reason he can't qualify on points is that he's just way too erratic.  

The myth of 4-ball, and this runs from Tour pros to local amateurs, is that you want a guy "that makes a lot of birdies".  That is a euphemism for "he hasn't learned to manage his mistakes the way Tom Kite or Bernhard Langer do".  Give me David Toms and Steve Flesch all day.

Foursomes is FATAL if you have the bad shots of guys like Bubba Dickerson dragging you down.

In betterball you do want a lot of birdies if you expect to win.  Hell, even at my level I would expect to have to make 3-5 birdies as a team to have a god shot at winning the match assuming we aren't playing a real tough course.  I will agree in foursomes you want a steady partner who first and foremost keeps the ball somewhere in position.  However, at the Ryder Cup level even fours will lose many a match.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John_Conley

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »
In betterball you do want a lot of birdies if you expect to win.  Hell, even at my level I would expect to have to make 3-5 birdies as a team to have a god shot at winning the match assuming we aren't playing a real tough course.  I will agree in foursomes you want a steady partner who first and foremost keeps the ball somewhere in position.  However, at the Ryder Cup level even fours will lose many a match.  

Ciao
Sean

Sean, how many birdies do you think Mike Weir, Steve Flesch, David Toms, and Fred Funk make in relation to John Daly, Hank Kuehne, Bubba Watson, and John Holmes?  Guys who are always in play and hit one solid shot after another give themselves tons of chances and are far better 4-ball partners.  Who said anything about level 4s?

ChasLawler

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 11:51:16 AM »
I used to get really involved with these cup matches and the courses the tour played. A friend of mine whose father helped run the Senior Tour Championship enlightened me on some things.  The Ryder Cup and the PGA Tour are about one thing MONEY!  Everyone I know says those guys should care more because there playing for there country. There not playing for there country there playing for the PGA to make tons of money and the American players know that. The European players if they make the team then the European tour pays all there travel expenses to Euro events for the next two years. Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, and even Tiger should be embarrassed at there performances but I don't think they are cause they will move on to the next event and win a cool million and who cares. I'm a huge Davis Love fan and a friend of mine asked do you think he was upset at not being picked, No I replied I'm sure he would have been happy if he was but he got to stay home last week be with his family count his money and not take the beating the American players will the next month. If the truth really be known Tiger and Phil for sure would not play in this event if they had there choice what reason do they have to waste a week of there time for no profit and to get slammed by the media.

Lawrence

Lawrence - you should consider this...

Click Here

John_Conley

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 01:18:56 PM »
Cabell, that's pretty harsh!  I do get your point, though.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »
I apologize for my ignorance.

Lawrence
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 03:21:27 PM by Lawrence Largent »

ChasLawler

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »
You can call me a snob, but please don't call me from Northern Virginia.

John - I personally like the idea of a player like Daly in the Ryder Cup. Pairing him with a steady Eddie in the fourball could work well in my opinion.

peter_p

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 09:05:31 PM »
Our Ryder Cup selection method needs to be changed. The points system is outdated and does not reflect strength of field. I would go somewhat along the European style, six players make it off the a weighted money list, four players off  the world list.
    I don't like the generic total birdies list, concentrate on those who birdie 3s and 4s.
    The Sagarin Index has Steve Stricker as #8 in the world.
It looks at strenght of field, matchups against top 10, top 25, top 50.
    In the fourball, send Tiger out alone.
    Sit Phil.
    Encourage players to visit site before the team is selected.
Get to know some of the best players and caddies at that club. If it holds a tournament, the PGA Tour should grant exemptions to play there.
    The PGA should hold two match play events, one at fourball, one at foursomes. Maybe make it double elimination, but if you lose you need to pick a new partner.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back