News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Monterey area
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2006, 05:37:03 PM »
Huck,

I'd just like some disclosure when someone starts giving an opinion of what is affordable or not...This is hardly a poorly veiled rater attack...cause if it was I would ask if you still had the number of the gal giving out free rounds at Pebble.  As a tourist I thought Pasa was very affordable the day we played...who cares.  Just name how much it costs and possible twilight or other deals available to the average guy.  This opinion of affordability goes beyond good taste.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2006, 05:37:38 PM »
The rates for SB and SH would be great,   but I don't know anyone that's been able to get on those courses w/ that short of time table. Good info.
My take exactly.  One can cheat the system - that is, make a teetime normally, cancel it 14 days prior, re-book it then... but that just doesn't seem right to me.  And it is the experience of those I've talked to expect perhaps Tim that that is the only way to get a decent tee time and get the Duke's card discount... That is unless you have a full 14 day block and are very very very flexible.TH

You don't have to "cheat the system" to get good tee times with the card. Maybe it is because I play in Monterey in May/June or Sept./Oct. but I have never had a hard time getting a prime(8am to 1pm) tee time for a twosome or more with 14 days advance notice. That's my experience and I'm sticking to it.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
JK:

You remain a piece of work.  And I mean that in a good way.  Just be clear - although you find great fun in the fact Pebble is available for raters and some here have availed themselves of that, well... I never have and likely never will.  But perhaps I will, and I'll take someone here along.  Free next spring?

But OK, I shall try to abide by your rules.  Because in one sense you're right - affordability remains in the eye of the beholder, and we all have our thresholds.  But I believe I did know the thresholds of those participating in this thread... No matter though.

Tim:

You just had exceedingly good fortune then and your experience continues to differ from anyone else I've ever talked to.  Again, good for you... but I shall stick to my story as well.   You don't want to know what happened when I just called Spyglass and asked for a time on Tue October 3.  ;D

Ed:

Your post reminds me, I could use your services these days.   ;D  But seriously, I am mainly just giving you a hard time... You do make a great point though:  I'd say most of us do go beyond our thresholds for special courses, and Pasa certainly does fall in that category.  I'd just continue to have a hard time calling it a value... But then again, some courses are so great that they transcend value discussions.  Pasa is one.  So mea culpa.

;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:46:33 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2006, 06:34:19 PM »
So I usually try to play Pasa once a year (when a GCA'er comes to town, which adds even more value to my mind :)).

I am here to confirm the Getkatiempo protocol!
The mad loon even dragged me around there in a golf cart (NON-PLAYING!) chasing redanman's sorry wet butt on the sorriest wettest day in the history of California.

Ed,
great day. I cannot wait until the next time we have an opportunity to play Pasa together again. Either that or TOC!!!

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2006, 06:38:58 PM »
JK:

You remain a piece of work.  And I mean that in a good way.  Just be clear - although you find great fun in the fact Pebble is available for raters and some here have availed themselves of that, well... I never have and likely never will.  But perhaps I will, and I'll take someone here along.  Free next spring?

Huck,

I would love to play Pebble for free as long as I am not a rater myself as it is clearly against the rules of the handbook which was thrown in my very face last week.  I find it funny indeed.  Let me know before the next time you see pigs fly.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2006, 06:42:31 PM »
Well JK, it's your odd world and your rules, I just aim to add to your fun.  You tell me what you're up for and I'd love to make it happen.  Note it's surely against no rules that I have to follow...

But then again, you'll note I never said YOUR part would be free, did I?  Nor did I say mine would....

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 06:45:41 PM by Tom Huckaby »

ed_getka

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »
Martin,
   That was a drizzle by Scottish standards I'm sure. It was a great pleasure to meet you and Nancy. I certainly look forward to our next opportunity to get together, on whatever side of the "pond" it occurs.
    Bill was certainly a trooper to slog through, and try to put the ball in holes that were sometimes 4" underwater.
    I must say we had a much nicer day last month when Mark Chalfant was in town and John Krystynak came up to join us. Although the course was a bit of a construction zone, and we couldn't play #6 and #13 as par 5's. :(
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:31 PM »
Ed - I thought all the major work on the course was complete fall 2005... haven't been there since then (can't afford it)  ;).  What were they doing on 6 and 13?

TH

Evan_Green

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2006, 01:45:57 PM »
Installing new back tees - lengthening
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:46:30 PM by Evan_Green »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2006, 01:50:03 PM »
Installing new back tees - lengthening

Interesting.... and that would require a lot of work on each.  On 6 there's room... on 13 it would seem trees would need to be removed... and they were working on that tee LAST YEAR at this time.  Seems strange to me either that's still going on or they are building an even longer new back tee... the one being worked on when I was there was the same old one, not far from but definitely in front of 12 green - it was just being shored up.  Did something go wrong with that, or are they building a new pad even farther back?  That would mean parallel with 12 green... and would have trees in the way....

TH
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:50:44 PM by Tom Huckaby »

David Stamm

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2006, 01:56:20 PM »
I don't seem to understand why new tee's would be built for those par 5's? Do they play all that short? Or is is maybe to get an OVERALL yardage increase on the scorecard? I've only played it once so I don't remember those two playing that short? Or my memory is short? ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
David:

From back tees, #6 is 522; #13 is 501, total course is 6432.

So judge for yourself if yardage is needed. I sure as hell don't think so... but I also would prefer that classic old courses do get left alone.

In any case, 6 plays out over a valley, up to a level area, then flat.  It is reachable by big hitters for sure.  13 is a dog leg left and flattish, and big hitters could render it impotent.  It remains a great hole for us average guys though!

TH

David Stamm

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2006, 02:05:39 PM »
I'll buy that. I don't like the classics messed w/ either. And I'm w/ you, for us mere mortals, I think the total yardage is fine. Especially in that courses case, it seems to play significantly longer than what's listed. In fact, I remember a friend of mine said that Pas. was the longest 6400 yd course he's ever played.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »
I'll buy that. I don't like the classics messed w/ either. And I'm w/ you, for us mere mortals, I think the total yardage is fine. Especially in that courses case, it seems to play significantly longer than what's listed. In fact, I remember a friend of mine said that Pas. was the longest 6400 yd course he's ever played.

David - MANY have made the same statement your friend did.  In fact Pasa is constantly cited in the "short courses playing longer / playing tough" discussions.  And rightfully so.

TH

Evan_Green

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »
Fortunately you can still play the shorter tees on these holes if you so desire.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:08:24 PM by Evan_Green »

David Stamm

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2006, 02:09:42 PM »
Questioning our manhood, eh Evan?? ;D ;D ;D

Evan_Green

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »
Questioning our manhood, eh Evan?? ;D ;D ;D

David

Pasatiempo also has a set of tees at 5,680 yards. Perhaps that would be even more to your liking  ;) ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2006, 02:18:37 PM »
So that's why those 2 played so short!  ;D ;D ;D

SB

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2006, 04:56:21 PM »
The yardages at Pasa are just plain wrong.  I think they do it to fool touristas like me.  

The card says 16 is 371 from the whites.  I hit my driver what should have been around 250, and yet I still had over 200 to go.  

17?  354 yards my a**.

I'll bet the members have a different scorecard.

ed_getka

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2006, 01:50:46 PM »
Tom,
   Lots of tree trimming on the left of #13. They can't be gaining much on #6 as there just isn't that much space back to #5. Seems like a waste of money. I had never noticed the structure under #6 tee before so it was good for that reason. I think someone told me it was a bathroom. Looked like a bomb shelter, being right under the tee like that.

SBusch,
   Are you serious? #16 just gets in your head. If you actually just hit a nice draw up over the top of the hill you only have a short iron in. #17 is playing uphill, but I usually have a short iron into that one too. I am not a long hitter, and I do play the back tees.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »
Ed - isn't there quite a bit of room behind 6 tee?  It has to be 50 yards' walk from green to tee there... If they really wanted to push, they could go all the way back to 5 green.  Of course they'd have to completely blow out the existing tee pad, but well... if length is what they want, it is at least possible... I think it's kinda the same issue as 13 though.

BTW, that structure is a bathroom, and in fact was designed by an NCGA course rater friend of mine.  He calls it his legacy to golf.

;D

ed_getka

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2006, 02:45:42 PM »
Tom,
   They could go back on #6, but then they would have to fill in the area in between the green and the tee, or else build the tee lower. Actually, come to think of it a lower tee further back could make that a bit more challenging.
    How long has that bathroom been there? Your friend must have studied Mackenzie's camouflage techniques, because I never noticed it before.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2006, 02:49:27 PM »
Ed - concur re 6 - so what the hell is going on there?  I can't see reasonable ways to lenghten either 6 or 13.  In fact I might have to send my spies there this weekend to see what's what.

That bathroom has been there as long as I can remember... but no surprise you haven't seen it... it's by the cart path.  While walking you'd have to go down and to the right on purpose to see it.

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2006, 03:46:52 PM »
Just changing the number on the scorecard is the budget way to go. Two stout par 4's for the limberbacks, and they can bill themselves as the toughest par 68 in Calif. at least. :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2006, 03:49:37 PM »
Just changing the number on the scorecard is the budget way to go. Two stout par 4's for the limberbacks, and they can bill themselves as the toughest par 68 in Calif. at least. :)

Very true - and they'd get to usurp the (in)famous Lincoln Park in so doing!

I am seriously curious though re the work going on... Evan said new back tees are being installed... is that true?  Man it seems like overkill....

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back