News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Montana golf recommendations
« on: September 22, 2006, 07:28:43 PM »
This past summer our family traveled up to Montana for the first time to go to Glacier NP. We absolutely loved it up in Montana, so it could be a potential retirement spot for us. What are your favorite courses in Montana?
   Has anyone played Phantom Hills by Les Furber near Missoula?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jesse Jones

Re:Montana golf recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 08:01:12 PM »

Stock Farm, Hamilton-Private Fazio-Not Bad
Old Works, Anaconda--Public Jack--Not Bad--Damn Good for the money--It's a haul from Glacier

I hear there are some decent choices in Missoula, home of the UM Grizzlies. But being a Montana State Grad, I can say nothing positive about the place.

NOTHING..
(just kidding)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:13:35 PM »
Ed...The Stock Farm if you can get on it is in Hamilton. Phantom Hills is a pretty good track...personally I think its better than Old Works...the new Brian Curley course...Canyon River in Missoula is very good as well...in fact...those three would be excellent choices and there isn't any need to play elsewhere in my opinion.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:08:57 AM »
Ed,
You might think about Rock Creek for the future.  Everything I hear says it is could be spectacular when finished.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
so it could be a potential retirement spot for us.

Ed,

I have only been to Montana once, the weekend before Memorial Day. The snow was still up to my hip in places at Yellowstone. For a guy that loves golf and only sees snow once or twice a year at the top of a few distant mountains in the Bay Area, you might want to check out Montana outside of the summer months before you move there for 365 days!

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »
Mike,
   We might retire there, with no intention at all of living there 365 days/year. I do most of my golfing when traveling now, so it will only be more so once I get the boys through college.
The other thing is,I love being in nature as much as I like golf and the parts of Montana I saw this summer were phenomenal.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
What people don't know is western Montana has a long golf season. Spring kicks in down in the valleys well before the ski areas close...the few "snowbirds" I know head south in mid to late October and are back in Montana in early May...

The valleys never have too much snow in winter, but a short drive up to the passes and you'll find 10-15 feet of snow....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 11:08:54 AM »
By the way...I think Missoula is easily the golf capital of Montana....I know the Flathead area assumes it is, but the quality of the golf is far better in the Missoula area and only getting better with Rock Creek less than 90 miles (an hour on the Interstate) away and the Stock Farm 40 miles away.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 12:53:45 PM »
Craig,
   When you refer to western Montana, are you talking west of Glacier and Yellowstone? What else in the Missoula area is worth checking out?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:55:02 PM by ed_getka »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 06:48:02 PM »
Ed...the only golf in the Missoula area is Phantom, Canyon River, the Missoula Country Club, and Larchmont, the muni.....the Stock Farm is south of Missoula in hamilton...about 45 miles.  Rock Creek and The Old Works are east of Missoula, out the Interstate...both are 90-100 miles away...

Western Montana runs from the Bitterroot Valley north thru the Flathead (beautiful Flathead lake the largest natural fresh water body west of the Mississippi) north to Whitefish and Glacier Park...and of course everything west of there to the Idaho border...you have mountains, large valleys, great golf, fishing, numorous lakes, and a fairly mild climate...very dry in summer.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:59:05 PM »
Craig,
  Thanks for the feedback.

Kalen Braley

Re: Montana golf recommendations
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
I had the pleasure of spending last weekend in Missoula with our own Craig Sweet.  He's a swell guy to hang with, a generous host, and had loads of pearls of wisdom when it comes to running a good club.

Here is a photo of the living legend himself!!!  ;D

We played  Canyon River and Missoula CC and had a blast.  I also played The Ranch in addition to those two with Craig.

They were all pretty decent courses and certainly worth a look if you find yourself in the area...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 08:13:30 PM »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:15:13 PM by Bill_McBride »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
Kalen, thanks for coming over for a taste of Missoula golf.  I wish my game had been in better form but I'm sure beating me like a drum was good for your ego  ;D

Dave...Montucky! It's a state of being.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
It was good fun Craig, I had a blast!!!

You're game will come back and next time, I'll be the one trying to keep up.

Kalen

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
Bill Roberts Municipal GC in Helena.  Seriously.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back