News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:Anthony Pioppi's new book-- "To the Nines"
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »
Noel,
Because of my travel buget there were some that missed out. Hay Harbor on Fishers Island is wonderful. I really wanted to get up to see Wawashkamo on Mackinac Island, Michigan but couldn't see to get up there.

Rick,
I knew the title was shared but I liked to too much to find another one. There were a couple of alternatives suggested to me; none that I liked. I think To the Eights was one.

Tony

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »
Shared, unfortunately, with one of Janet Evanovich's recent numbers-themed thrillers.

Unfortunately? Are you kidding?

Any confusion can't help but improve Tony's sales.

You've gotta start thinking deviously, boy!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Donnie Beck

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 04:48:43 PM »
Yo Scoop,

Congratulations on the book.  Now the book is finished and the season is winding down I have a buddy that has offered to take us fishing out behind the trailer park.. You up for it !!!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »
Shared, unfortunately, with one of Janet Evanovich's recent numbers-themed thrillers.

Unfortunately? Are you kidding?

Any confusion can't help but improve Tony's sales.

I figured it was the other way around.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 11:24:15 PM »
Donnie,

I'm there. Are you sure you can find time from greens reclamation and bowling to fish?

Tony

hick

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
just went on amazon and placed my order.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »
Tony-- Why is there a receipt from Newport CC to Raynor for unknown work, what did he do?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 03:59:16 PM by Noel Freeman »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
Tony -

I tried to email you about your dates to Pittsburgh, but it kept getting kicked back. I enjoyed our round at Fishers and wanted to help you with your Pittsburgh trip, but didn't know what else to do. I hope you were able to play the courses you wanted.

I look forward to reading your book. It looks very interesting.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Jim,

Didn't get to play Oakmont but walked it with Tim Davis, superintendent from Shoreacres. It was a great just to see the place and I really enjoyed Fox Chapel. My email is Apioppi@earthlink.net.

Noel,

The letter is one of those finds that just leads to more questions. Artifacts and remnants of Ocean Links can be found at Newport Country Club. The sundial statue of the boy putting in the Newport entrance - the exact same one at Pinehurst - once stood on the 7th tee at Ocean Links.

Newport president Barclay Douglas was digging around in the Newport archives when he came across it. The letter is dated March of 1923, which predates Tillinghast at Newport. My guess is that members may have hired Raynor to produce a routing and then chose Tillinghast.

Tony

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 07:14:14 PM »
Noel. Many thanks for bringing this book to our attention. I cannot wait to go out and get it, and Tony, thanks for writing it.

I just looked at his entire thread and it made me think once again how much I really enjoy looking at this site and being able to participate. I would never know anything about this book otherwise. Ditto for lots of other information and the comments down the thread are inevitably a blast!

Thanks again.

Bob Jenkins

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 07:17:51 PM »
Bob,

It was truly a joy writing it. I hope you have fun reading it.

Tony

T_MacWood

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 06:25:26 AM »
Anthony
Were there any architects that seem to specialize in nine-hole courses?

Steve Curry

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 08:15:55 AM »
Tony,

That's not the cover Photo I expected.  ;)
I see you managed to find the most phallic golf photo out there though.  ;)
When are you coming over for dinner the invite stands?

Cheers,
Steve

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 07:24:52 PM »
Tom,

I have never come across an architect who was focussed on 9s.

Steve,

I'm done caddying at Fishers, and slowing down at TPC River Highlands so give me a date, time, and directions and I'll be there. I'd travel a great distance to get a home-cooked meal. I see a free book in your future. Apologize to your wife for the fact the publisher did not go for her cover art suggestion. Something about an "R" rating turned them off. I don't get it.

Tony

RDecker

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
Tony,
I can tell you from personal experience that Steve's wife is an excellent cook... As a Super at a 9 holer I'm curious, Did we make the book?  I will pick it up, I promise, but is Greenock Country Club included?

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2006, 10:01:22 PM »
I heard his wife is a wonderful cook and I look forward to experiencing it for myself. The Chef Boyardee is getting a little old.

Greenock is not included in the book. One of the problems I ran into is that the best nines are on the east and west coasts and I wanted to include the rest of of the country so I spread it out. You are in the running for the sequel.

Tony

Noel Freeman

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 07:48:26 AM »
Hey Tony-  don't knock Chef Boy-ar-dee.. As Chef Boiardi's (the correct spelling) grand nephew is one of my best friends and I grew up with him and went to college at Lehigh with.  We used to go to the Chef Boyardee plant in Milton PA and stock up on canned food for the semester..  The funny thing is Chef Boiardi was a famed chef in Cleveland who cooked gourmet Italian and he was approached with the idea about canned food and sold out to  American Home (now Wyeth) in the 1960s.. They kept paying him and used his likeness on the can..

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2006, 09:00:22 AM »
Tony,

I finally made it to Sewanee Golf Club yesterday. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

My round sent me in search of your book which the local Barnes & Noble carried.  I was blown away with the shape and contouring of the greens, thinking they were vintage golden age - UNTIL I saw the photograph of the sand green hanging in the "clubhouse!"  I believe it is the same photo featured in your book.  I was subsequently astonished to read in your book that the existing greens were constructed around 1960.  

I'll post a review and some pictures in the next week that arguably suggest that these greens comprise the best set constructed during golf's dark age.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 09:15:32 AM »
Mike,

I really like Sewanee and I'm glad you did too. I think you'll find the chapter very enlightening. There can't be too many golf courses in the United States that had a bishop as its original co-architect.

Tony

Sally Livingston

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »
Hi Tony
I just ordered my copy as well, and really looking forward to finally seeing it!
Sally

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 03:15:38 PM »
Sally,

I'm glad to hear that. I think you'll laugh, you'll cry, it will make you feel good about yourself. It's a golf book for the entire family.

Make sure you buy a genuine one. I don't want you getting ripped off with any of the counterfeit To the Nines making their way to the American market.

Tony

Brad Klein

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2006, 03:21:23 PM »
Just put my signed-by-the-author copy up for sale on eBay. Hey Tony, can you have them send another one?  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2006, 03:22:52 PM »
Brad,

Sure. Email me your mailing address again.

I already put a bid in on Ebay to inflate the price.

Tony

Brad Klein

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2006, 03:37:49 PM »
Actualy, it's a lovingly written book. Nice job. You will get lots of complaints about "how come you didn't include my course?" That'll be a good sign, too. Congratulations.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
Brad,
That'll be the sign for the sequel.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back