News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

Anthony Pioppi's new book-- "To the Nines"
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:59:01 AM »
The other night I received my copy of Tony Pioppi's new book published by the Sports Media Group entitled "To the Nines"..  Tony is a lost treasure on this site, not only for his writings and knowledge but because he is quite an interesting bloke who never seems to post  ;D ;D.  A few years ago I was going to Hartford on business and I mentioned this in kind to Tony.  He told me on my way home to drive down to Old Saybrook and play a little nine holer that Katherine Hepburn grew up (and lived on) called Fenwick.  All I can say is what great fun it was and I met some very interesting characters to boot.  What is amazing about Fenwick is how much history is there, Howard Hughes tried to romance Hepburn on the course, on the day Hepburn got her only hole in one the Hurricane of 1938 blew in later and completely destroyed her house (how's that for karma or golf gods).

Tony has also included some classic 9 holers in Maine, Marion GC in Mass. (which I just played last week), Highland Links on the Cape, The Dunes Club (Mike Keiser's), Wawona (Yosemite), Prairie Dunes, Northwood and a few others.  But the real gem for me was Tony's chapters on T. Suffern Tailer's 9 holer called Ocean Links (Raynor) which abutted Newport CC is worth buying the book by itself.  It is literally Tony's "white whale".  Tony is essentially the archeologist for finding the remnants of this course.  He details how he's crawled through thickets and wild vegetation on his knees to unearth beacons of that forlorn course.  It is a great story and one of devotion just for those chapters alone.  I had no idea that this course might have housed the best rendition of Raynor's Prized Dogleg.

The book is the perfect size to take on a short plane ride or read while commuting.  I hope Ran interviews him because the 9 holer might come back in vogue in my opinion in this country.  With the cost of golf prohibitive and the time it takes to play, I wonder if many 18 holers might become 9 holers.  Then again, no body builds 9 holers anymore.. Tis a pity.

Anyhow, its a great read.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 12:00:15 PM by Noel Freeman »

ed_getka

Re:Anthony Pioppi's new book-- "To the Nines"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:02:14 PM »
Noel,
  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
Noel:

Great post -- I've been early awaiting Tony's book after posting about nine-holers a while back.

I assume that's Marion in Mass. on the cover, given some earlier postings of that course here on GCA?

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:22:17 PM »
Noel,

Thanks for the heads up. I've enjoyed Tony's writtings in the past and will look forward to this.

Does it incude any comments on Hotchkiss? It should.

BTW -What did you think of Marion?
Integrity in the moment of choice

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »
I played Wawona this past summer. Really neat course. Played by myself and finished in about 1 1/2 hours just as the sun was starting to set. Really great setting.  
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
This one caught my eye yesterday at Barnes and Noble.  A little book chock full of information.  
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Noel Freeman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:47:32 PM »
Noel,

Thanks for the heads up. I've enjoyed Tony's writtings in the past and will look forward to this.

Does it incude any comments on Hotchkiss? It should.

BTW -What did you think of Marion?

I thought Marion was quite cute. Obviously was early in the Captain's career and the property (which was I guess a farm or multiple farms with borders delineated by the rock walls) was anything but ideal.  The turf is horrible but the charm is there.

I think the 2nd hole is kind of cute with its sharp dogleg--the best thing is the tight approach over the wall and trees on the periphery to the cone-ish green.

Otherwise I liked the par 3s the best (3,8,9).. It is a great little spot to learn the game, play with a kid or work on your short game, I wish we had more of them.. The rock walls give it a lot of character unless you find your ball embedded in them.  The greens are quite flat but small so your wedge game has to be on.  I like the fact that you could carry about 4-5 clubs in your hand and go out and play there.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »
My copy is on pre-order and I'm awaiting its arrival at my door.

Tony has spent a huge amount of time and poured his heart into this project so I'm glad to hear that Noel gives it a thumb's up. Tony is a surprisingly excellent writer given the amount of beer and single malt scotch that he consumes  ;D.

LBaker

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »
Tony, longtime no see or talk.  Things must be going well and congratulation.  I am going to get the book and drive on down to Middletown, pop on in at Eliahs and have you sign it.

Talk to ya man.

Lindsey

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 01:59:27 PM »
Noel,
Thanks for the kind words. By the way, today is the anniversary of the Hurricane of '38.

Lindsey,
You can find me at Hair of the Dog (The Bar You Have Deen Practicing For) or Nikita's. Email me if you get a chance, Apioppi@earthlink.net. By the way, I've finally learned how to handle a walk mower and am mowing greens at TPC River Highlands.

Dr. Childs,
I'll straighten out your attitude on the first tee of Split Rock sometime soon.

Eric,
My book was on a shelf at Barnes and Noble? That's very good news. Drinks for everyone.

Tony

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
Tony

I've been trying to call you but to no avail.  

Split Rock followed by Dominick's on Arthur Avenue is probably OK for the 2nd.

Michael Moore

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 02:17:30 PM »
Anthony -

Which Maine courses are covered? We had a ripping trip out to North Haven and Tarratine this summer. I am also partial to Wilson Lake (Stiles) and Castine (Park Jr.). I have Blue Hill, Clinton, Megunticook and a couple of top secret unmentionables on the list.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »
Michael,

I was chatting with the all-knowing Bob Labbance about courses in Maine and he narrowed the list down to five. When I couldn't decide I just asked him to write me a chapter and he did detailing Great Chebeague, Castine, Grindstone Neck, Wawenock, The Causeway Club.

Bob's book on Walter Travis, The Old Man, is great and I knew he'd do a fantastic job for me and he did.

Tony

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »
Anthony,

I seem to recall you mentioning the nine-hole course at The University Of The South at Sewanee.  Is it in the book and do you recommend I slide down from Nashville to play it?  I've been meaning to for 20 years!

Congrats.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
Mike,

It's quite the quirky place and yes it did make the book. I think it's worth the trip. How long would it take to drive?

Tony

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:07 PM »
1.5 hour, tops.  

I bet it's spectacular when the leaves turn.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 03:35:39 PM »
I refuse to read it on the grounds of nary a phone call for months...

Well maybe a page or two.....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 04:04:16 PM »
TN,

I sent you a couple of email and received no reply. I wept.

Rumor has it you made the acknowledgement section of the book, but I can't confirm that without first talking to my lawyers.

Tony

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »
AP

Tommy is never on the phone or computer to check email

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Actually this is a shameless bump to the top of page 1

When we push this book into Amazon's Top 100 we can let this thread slip to page 2.  Buy the damn book!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 05:29:28 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »
BTW, That was me that just made the call! ;)

David Stamm

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 08:32:40 PM »
Anthony, during your writing of the book, were you able to find out if Mack. was in fact the arch. of Wawona? I've heard conflicting things about whether he did or not.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
David,

He was not the architect. You have to buy the book to find out the rest of the story.

Tony

Noel Freeman

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »
Tony--any 9-holers that didnt make the cut that you would recommend as well?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:18:59 PM by Noel Freeman »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »
"To the Nines" is a great title.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »
"To the Nines" is a great title.

Shared, unfortunately, with one of Janet Evanovich's recent numbers-themed thrillers.

I can just imagine some Amazon shopper getting three chapters into Anthony's book and thinking, "I like this stuff about routing and walk-off areas, but shouldn't somebody be getting murdered pretty soon?"
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back