News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial: Pat Mucci Edition
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
This one should be pretty easy.  I'll put up the current view and a copy of the original routing plan later.  

What Course?

Who was the architect?

Why is this the Pat Mucci edition?

Larger view of top half

Larger View of bottom half
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

LOberman

Re:Chicago Aerial: Pat Mucci Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:36:51 PM »
I'll say the original 18 holes at Northmoor Country Club in Highland Park.  Donald Ross and I don't know why it is the Pat Mucci edition.

Dan Moore

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:52:15 PM »
Excellent.  Well, I thought it would be easy.

Here is Northmoor today which shows the nine holes added later and the information as to why this is the Pat Mucci Edition. ;)

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

LOberman

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:57:26 PM »
Today they have 27 holes.  The Red nine has 2 from the original design and 7 new holes.  The White nine has 7 holes from the original design and 2 new holes, and the Blue nine consist of 9 of the original holes.

Using the word new is a little misleading because I believe the changes took place in the 60's.  

Several years ago they renovated the white nine and the red nine is currently closed for major work.

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:15:55 AM »
Dan
Thanks for the old photo. Thats an interesting looking design....what happened to it?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:31:24 AM »
Who did the new holes? Changes?

Northmoor, is that west Rodgers park? Harlem and Foster Area?

That large pond looks positively horrendous, guarding a bunker ringed green. ::)

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:02:09 AM »
Adam,

You are thinking of Ridgemoor.  I get my Moore's mixed up all the time.  

Looks like Edward Lawrence Packard added the other nine holes in the mid-60s.  

Shivas,

That's the answer to why this is the Pat Mucci edition.  I left a few of Bob O'links holes in the current aerial in the upper left hand corner.

Ross designed Bob O'Link a couple of years before Northmoor was built.  Pat started a thread recently about how modern architects don't design courses next to one another like they did in the Golden Age.  Among the reasons cited as to why this no longer occurs were market factors such as not wanting two courses by the same architect to compete with one another for members or status.  This made me question if the proximity of another Ross course so close to Bob O'Link was a factor in their decision to have Colt/Alison completely redo Bob O'link in the 20's.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:04:06 AM by Dan Moore »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back