News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Cobbs Creek update
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:17:51 AM »
Unfortunately, I have been unable to visit Cobbs Creek as anticipated during the past 2 weeks but Joe Logan did. Here is his report on the current conditions there:

www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/15480250.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Cobbs Creek update
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:12 AM »
Steve,

Serious question. I played my last high school match and round of golf at Cobbs in 1980. Has any work ever been done to the course? I know the conditioning improved, but I am asking about the golf architecture/infrastructure.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 08:47:37 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »
Steve - Wasn't this article written during that very dry spell ?
Lack of irrigation, and the load of trees at Cobbs, can't keep it on a par with neighboring McCall Field/PE course (which should be its gauge).

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
Mike & Willie

The only work that I can think of that has been done lately is Gil Hanse's work after flooding in 2004 that resulted in closing 4 holes. No infrastructure work has been done to my knowledge. Liberty Golf is in a holding pattern until a new RFP for management is proposed by the Fairmount Park Commission. My solution to the underfunded situation is corporate sponsorship- Comcast, for example- or the election of a mayor who plays golf. Unfortunately, there are more important issues for the city to tackle right now- the murder rate is unbelievable.

I'll try to visit soon and take some pics.

I'd like to play McCall Field someday. Never been there. I'm sure they have a larger maintenance budget. The course always looks good from the road.

Steve

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »
I played at FDR today for the Penn golf team tryouts. Due to the recent rain the greens were very green and definitely playable. Having played there before I was very surprised at how smooth they were. Not sure if the same goes for Cobb's, but I have a feeling they may be in the same condition.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »
Steve,

If you ever want to head over there to take some pictures let me know.  I'd love to join you.  Cobb's has always been a favorite of mine.

John Gosselin

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:00:45 AM »

"With only about $4 million to maintain all six courses, Connors, his chief agronomist, Mike Susshine, and their crew of about 180 have their hands more than full."

If this is true these courses should be some of the better maintained courses in the area. Give a good superintendent 30 staff members and a $700,000 budget and you'll have a great golf course under most circumstances.

I have a feeling these numbers are way off or they are for the entire operations of the clubs.
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back