News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Engineers 1st Green/A Major Wake Up Call
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:44:56 PM »
The approach from the middle of the 1st fairway at Engineers is deceptively innocuous as the first time visitor has no idea what awaits . . .

This back left pin is the second most difficult location to get close to, only the back right is tougher  

The spine visible clearly in this photo is the center piece of this green both literally and figuratively as it’s the spine that accentuates the natural front to back tilt of the green to create distinct playable sections without sharp boundaries:

A very distinct plateau, created by the thumbprint (as Redanman calls them) on the back left edge of the green is seen here from the 18th tee . . . while heading home one need only look to the left to see the green that likely greeted the first time visitor abruptly.

View of thumbprint from behind the green:

From a different angle the back ledge is clear:

Your first trip to the plate at Engineers let's you know that these aren't your ordinary greens.

ed_getka

Re:Engineers 1st Green/A Major Wake Up Call
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 04:42:23 PM »
Jason,
   Thanks for sharing the pix. Looks very cool, I can see what Jeff G. was raving about. What exactly is the thumbprint you are referring to? The swale that runs out the side of the green?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »
Jason

I'm glad you were able to include that sixth photo because it best documents the front to back tilt of that diabolical green. Some of the others might have given the impression that it was uphill to the back of that green but that is hardly the case.

Thanks again for the tour.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 10:02:05 PM »
Jason,
   Thanks for sharing the pix. Looks very cool, I can see what Jeff G. was raving about. What exactly is the thumbprint you are referring to? The swale that runs out the side of the green?

Ed, yes, the swale.

Geoff, the back ledge looks uphill as your putting from the middle of the green but it is clearly below the level of the front of the green as the fourth photos illustrates.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back