News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Education of Key Golf Club Decision-Makers
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:10:51 AM »
Over the last three years, I am proud to say that my Club took combinations of key staff to a two or three day visit to the Melbourne Sandbelt, some 450 miles away from Adelaide.  The group always included the Course Supt and Course Chairman, generally the Manager and the Course 2-I-C, sometimes the President.  All were invited but not all could make it every year.  This resulted in a number of education elements for us - better understanding by the course super and the 2IC of what could be done with turf and bunkers, and education of the Committee on what has been done elsewhere in terms of course maintenance and vegetation management.  We have undertaken a number of changes and prepared long-term plans as a result of these visits.  We certainly embrace indigenous vegetation more strongly.  We also understand more of the strengths and weaknesses of our fellow clubs in Adelaide and Melbourne.

So, what happened this year?  Whilst I had no involvement at all, I am very proud to say that our Club Manager organised a trip for about 27 people from Adelaide to visit a number of Melbourne sand-belt sites over a three-day tour.  Nearly all of Adelaide's major clubs were represented with many clubs taking 4 people across (Managers, Course Supts, 2IC's, Presidents, Course Chairs etc).

What really impressed me initially was the itinerary.  What impressed me subsequently was the feedback on the generosity of the host clubs in Melbourne.  I am not aware of such a trip being held in Australia (so many clubs travelling together to see so much, without a 'conference' to sit through).  It certainly impressed other interstate associations. Any comments about similar events held elsewhere in the world?

The itinerary comprised:

Sunday - Golf at Metropolitan following arrival.  Discussion with key Metropolitan club officials/staff.  Metro has hosted Oz Opens and the WGC Matchplay.  It has a long and generally revered history.  There is recent work on the back nine required because of boundary issues.

Monday - Peninsula GC, with about 4 hours spent on course with officials and the Club's architects (Mike Clayton and co).  Peninsula was contructed nearly 40 years ago and was regarded as a good course.  The recent works are elevating the 36 hole facility to a greater course status.  The premier turf guru (John Neylen) gave a further 1.5 hour seminar to the group at Peninsula.

Tuesday - a visit to Woodlands for perhaps 3.5 hours around the course, including discussions with course staff, club arborists and others.  A further hour was spent at the recently rebuilt greensheds facility.  Woddlands is often talked about on this site and is a course that will only get further respect as time goes by.
A visit to Rosanna concluded the trip.  Rosanna is a more clay-based course in the North-East on the Yarr and Plenty Rivers (creeks?) that does not have the natural advantadges of the sand-belt.  However, they are a model case of the benefits of planning, careful implementation, tree removal, judicious use of water and are the succesful club of their local area.  A wonderful balance for such a visit given the greater natural advantadges of the other clubs visited.  Again 2.5 hours on course with key club officials, plus a further half hour clubhouse presentation.

The group of 27 flew home Tuesday night.  It will be interesteing to see what happens across my local golf landscape over the coming years following such an eye-opening and well planned trip.

I have posted three photos from Peninsula showing the touring group and some of the recent works there.  As I said, I wasn't on tour myself and wasn't involved in the actual organisation, but am proud to have an indirect association with such a wonderful trip.  Thank-you to all involved, including all of the generous hosts in Melbourne.

The touring group, heading down the 4th fairway on the North Course (I think).  This is the start of the last month of Winter in Melbourne.  Conditions were very good.

A new strategic lateral water hazard where you won't lose a golf ball.  Right on the line of charm.

A new waste area on the line of charm on a short par 4.

James B

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 10:27:41 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back