News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

I got an email from Ken Donovan today that couldn’t have made me happier.

“Stanley Thompson has just been recognized as a person of National Historic Significance by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. This designation will take place at Cape Breton Highlands Links in Ingonish. “

Ken is best known for writing the wonderful essay called "Thinking Down the Road: Stanley Thompson, Canada's Golf Architect, Artist and Visionary, 1893-1953". If you haven’t read it you should, it’s found in the The Nashwaak Review, St.Thomas University, Fredericton, New Brunswick, vol. 14/15 (Fall, 2004 -Winter, 2005), pp. 252-302. The interview with Geoff Cornish in the back is as entertaining as his wonderful essay. The pictures are enough to leave your mouth open wishing you could see it in that form.

And that is where this announcement comes in…….

This means that an important course under government control, like Highland Links, can be restored as a place of historic importance. The fact that Highland Links is a historic site would give the people in charge of the course the opportunity to go to Parks Canada and explain to them why the tree removal is necessary to “restore the historical views and playing widths”. This would provide an opportunity to finally open up many of the long corridors and view sheds lost through growth and Parks Canada policies.

This also opens up the slight possibility of restoring the bunkers back to the original locations and shapes. They are clearly shown in a wealth of photos that are easily obtained through the course or through the National archives. There are even a few found in advertisements and other sources. I dream of seeing Highland Links restored properly, and this definitely takes this from the unlikely back to the possible. It’s a very happy day for any golf historian. I have to commend Ken and Mark for their efforts .

The other courses that spring to mind are Banff Springs and Green Gables which are also on Park Canada land. It’s never to late for Banff, but it may be too late for Green Gables which is scheduled for a renovation by McBroom which from all reports will fundamentally change the course.

On a more personal level, I don’t think this changes things at most existing courses. It may encourage more preservation, but most courses are well aware of the legacy that they understand is worth protecting. I look forward to seeing the impact at Highlands, it’s so appropriate that the ceremony will be held there to honour Stanley Thompson.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:20:47 PM by Ian Andrew »

Willie_Dow

Ian - Thanks for the posting.  You and the Mingay family deserve thoughts on this occasion.  Looking forward to the Lesley Cup, and a return to another wonderful Thompson layout for our next visit north.

T_MacWood

Ian
Great news and no doubt well deserved. It is interesting his designs are possibly effected as a bi-product of being recongized. Maybe someone should let Mr. McBroom know.

Jeff_Mingay

Ken Donovan of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia deserves all the credit for achieving this designation. He's now working on having Highlands Links designated as a Place of National Historical Significance in Canada. And, there's a Highlands Links book in the works too.
jeffmingay.com

Adam_F_Collins

This is wonderful news, and well-deserved. Thanks for letting us know, Ian. Great stuff.

cary lichtenstein

Can anyone post some of the old pictures of how the bunkers looked? Thanks
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tyler Kearns

Ian,

Excellent news, and thanks for the links to Donovan's article in the Nashwaak Review, I did not know this piece existed. I will order a copy today.

TK

Tiger_Bernhardt

Great news

Chris Parker

Ian,

I can't add much to your great post, but I must say that when I received that same email from Ken I almost felt giddy.  Great news!
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back