News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Re:Dismal River Pics
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:34 PM »
Oh boy, wait until the Prairie Club in Valentine gets going.  Then we'll really have a round table debating and comparing.   ;D

I think Mr. Clayman knew something we didn't when he moved smack dab inbetween Ballyneal and Sand Hills . . . with the regional fringe benefits that combo is hard to beat!

Jason Hines

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2006, 09:54:55 PM »
Dick,

Thanks for the reminder about the Prairie Club.  I have not checked their website in awhile, still nothing new.

Is this board going to be able to handle debating 4 courses in the Sand Hills without people having complete mental breakdowns trying to validate their opinions?

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2006, 09:57:41 PM »
Is this board going to be able to handle debating 4 courses in the Sand Hills without people having complete mental breakdowns trying to validate their opinions?

I'd like to throw the Kansas sand hills into this discussion and see how many heart palpatations we get . . .  

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2006, 10:00:45 PM »

I'd like to throw the Kansas sand hills into this discussion and see how many heart palpatations we get . . .  

BTW, who ever thought that the best place to avoid USSR missle attacks in the 80s was going to become one of the best golfing regions in the Nation in the 00s . . .

There goes my east coast bias again ;) ;)

Jason Hines

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2006, 10:07:56 PM »
Jason,

I think most of the MX silos are empty now in western Nebraska.  Oh, those were the days.....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2006, 10:17:11 PM »
Jason, We did not partake in SH. After our day at DR we turned back onto hwy 97 and I was struck with this notion that Jay deserved to at least see it. So I called and asked if we could tour. We were allowed to go to Ben's porch but no farther. We sat, soaked up the sights and dropped a bundle in the pro-shop, We had an epic time which climaxed at Wild Horse, today.

To give an example using the 6th hole at WH as the base. The width of the corridor, and the way that hole snakes through the dunes is the epitome of how snaking through those windswept type of dunes should. Jack snaking was either done to quickly or the corridor was too narrow. But for whatever reason, the results were that marginal shots were disproportionally penalized. Errant shots had almost zero chance of recovery.

One othe major factor was green speed. Much too fast for the undulations found. As an i.e. I had my best chance for birdie on the par 5 18th. Three fine shots to four feet and it was almost impossible to replace my ball. After several attempts, I got one to stay, only to have but a slight gust move the ball before I could even take a stance. Then it moved again and again and again. Finally, without setting the club down, I took a half ass atempt to breath on the ball and settled for a frustrating par. Other examples of the excessive speed were on putts that needed to rise before a fall. Any pace on the ball post apex, was doomed to twenty feet passed the hole. I suppose since comebackers are easier it wasn't that bad, but still made for frustration after frustration.

Jason, At Prairie dunes the corridors weren't too narrow, the fairways were. Errant balls are not the archies responsibility, but allowing for normal shot pattern divergences should be.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2006, 07:40:45 AM »
Adam:

Do you think the playing corridors at DR can be improved, enlarged naturally through maintenance?  

Or is it the guts of the routing that is too narrow, meaning the options to widen would be up a slope clearly intended to be native grasses, blow out bunkers, etc?

Green speeds are about the easiest factor to control so I suspect they'll get that right over time and different wind conditions but having a putt move around like that is frustrating as heck . . .

Did you find the playing corridors at DR noticeably more narrow than PD?

BTW, the rough you played at PD was USSO rough (if memory serves me right) so that stuff is usually not there.

I played with some boys in early May this year and the primary down the right side of 5 was a hack out.  Usually you can have a go at most greens from the primary rough there, stopping it may be your issue but getting it there usually isin't.

For me the frustrating thing at PD is you go from fine to dead in about 10 feet on almost every hole, understanding that the junk is way off line in most instances I can't recall playing 18 holes there with the same ball.

Jason

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2006, 07:42:29 AM »

For me the frustrating thing at PD is you go from fine to dead in about 10 feet on almost every hole, understanding that the junk is way off line in most instances I can't recall playing 18 holes there with the same ball.

Which, btw, really just means I need to get better  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »

Do you think the playing corridors at DR can be improved, enlarged naturally through maintenance?   Yes, I suppose it's possible.

Or is it the guts of the routing that is too narrow, meaning the options to widen would be up a slope clearly intended to be native grasses, blow out bunkers, etc?Speaking of the route. I could not believe the proximity of one of the cart paths to a certain green. The problem was it is a cart path for a different hole, or rather to get to a different hole. After coming around a blind curve, I couldn't help but feel horrible that I was disturbing the players on the green. If I were on the green, and this had happened to me, I'd be a little put off. I think it was the first green and we were headed to the 8th tee?? (total guess)

Green speeds are about the easiest factor to control so I suspect they'll get that right over time and different wind conditions but having a putt move around like that is frustrating as heck . . . Agreed

Did you find the playing corridors at DR noticeably more narrow than PD? The scale is different at DR. Bigger. So I suppose the narrowness felt greater, especially since as I said before, marginal shots were penalized too much.

BTW, the rough you played at PD was USSO rough (if memory serves me right) so that stuff is usually not there.Actually, Stan had already cutback the fairway lines for members. It wasn't that much, maybe five to 8 yards on one side or another. I dont recall both sides being returned, but I may have missed it. Stan commented to me, that it will take a full season or two to get the grassed re-trained to the shorter height.

I played with some boys in early May this year and the primary down the right side of 5 was a hack out.  Usually you can have a go at most greens from the primary rough there, stopping it may be your issue but getting it there usually isin't.

For me the frustrating thing at PD is you go from fine to dead in about 10 feet on almost every hole, understanding that the junk is way off line in most instances I can't recall playing 18 holes there with the same ball.At DR the distance between fine and dead seemed less than that

Jason
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
Adam:

Is Mr. Flemma off base with is comment on the dirth of ground game at DR?  I cannot believe his observations are accurate from what I've seen.  

Jason
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 10:34:27 AM by Jason Blasberg »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
Jason:

Forget all this so-called talk of corridors that are too narrow. There's PLENTY OF ROOM in the fairway areas at Dismal River.

For God's sake from the comments people are spinning you would think the corridors are as wide as the walk into one's closet.

The fairway widths Jason are as I mentioned previously. In a number of instances you have holes with 50-60 wide
targets -- my God shall we increase the width to the size of all of Nebraska ?

P.S. Jason -- you hit a great target -- the penal aspects of Prairie Dunes are certainly present in the instances you mentioned. Unfortunately, Nicklaus did not create Prairie Dunes and therefore it is held above reproach.

Dismal does provide a ground option and as you astutely observed -- you can see that in a number of photos and I have IDed the holes on a different thread where this can take place. Of course -- the spinmeisters have started the brainwash game about the course. Wonderful spin doesn't deal with the facts that I observed when there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back