News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

#16 at Montrose - "Gully" (pictures)
« on: August 25, 2006, 06:33:10 PM »
I have just returned from a 10 day trip to Scotland, and have loads of pictures to detail.  Much of it has already been covered, but I thought I would focus on some off the run stuff initially and Pat Mucci's post about The Creek #11 being the best par 3 in golf prompted me to think about the many holes I played over there that, in my opinion, are far more interesting and variety laden than TC #11.

The 16th at Montrose immediately jumped to mind.  It is a terrific golf hole, possessing a viciously contoured green that is not talked about often enough. The funny thing is, even though it is a terrific hole in its own right, it is a great foil for the Creek #11. The green itself is almost as large, and the options that abound (variety!) are numerous.

The hole measures 235 from the Medal tees, and plays slightly downhill often with a following wind. The green sits in a little hollow below the out holes nestled in the lee of the dune.

For the day's pin position, challenging the bunker short and left of the green was the best way to get the ball to the back pin position. My playing partner actually overdid it and went left of the bunker, only to find his ball sitting nicely in the middle of the green!

Short Left

Right Front

From the Right Side

From Back of the Green

Montrose is a terrific little gem. The town has seen better days, but the golf course shines. The gentleman holding the flagstick in the last picture, playing as a single, caught up to us and played the last three holes. He had driven 570 miles from Kent to play Montrose for 5 days. Needless to say, he loves the place.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 06:53:22 PM by SPDB »

Robert Thompson

Re:#16 at Montrose - "Gully" (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »
This is, without doubt, one of the great greens in golf that I've had the good fortune to play. Hitting this green is no guarantee of par, but it is great fun to try. Montrose, IMHO, is an underrated course worth seeking out....
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Mike_Sweeney

Re:#16 at Montrose - "Gully" (pictures)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »
Sean,

Did Pat ever say The Creek #11 was the best par 3 in golf? I know he asked the question about 50 times, but I doubt he ever said it.

More pics please.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back