News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Is it the greatest tee shot in golf?
« on: August 24, 2006, 03:05:43 PM »
The sixth hole at King's North, Myrtle Beach, SC.

Is there a more interesting or challenging tee shot in all of golf?

With a large island fairway in a windy location, and, yes, multiple tees, is it not the best?

What could compare?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

PThomas

Re:Is it the greatest tee shot in golf?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »
Michael:  isn't that resort closing and being redeveloped?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matt Dupre

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:20:21 PM »

That's a wonderful tongue-in-cheek topic.  ;)
And if it isn't tongue-in-cheek, you seem to be channeling someone....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »
You're kidding, right?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 03:41:07 PM »
This one is worse execution of the same concept.  While not really demonstrated in the drawing, the short route is to a peninsula that is about 20 yards wide and angled to the tee so you have to land it over the water and stop it before it rolls to the other side.  People only go that route if they can get it to the main fairway.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:41:39 PM by Jason Topp »

Nick Church

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 04:06:50 PM »
I always thought the par 3 holes on the back nine of Cypress Point were supposed to be the best???  

Am I missing the point?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »

This might be straying a bit far from Michael's original intent, but the hole Jason posted reminded of this hole at the Legacy in Brainerd, Minn.

When I played it a few years ago, I hit about as long a drive as I could to the peninsula fairway on the right, only to find that I didn't have enough club in my bag to carry the wetland and the water to the green. I had to hit a 9-iron across the junk to the main fairway on the left. I walked away thinking this was the stupidest split fairway hole I'd ever seen -- and most of them are conceptually stupid to begin with.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:35:26 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jeff Peterson

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 05:45:50 PM »
What could compare?

Well, if you drained the water, you'd pretty much be left with this (apparently) major-worthy beaut:

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »
No, #13 at Eagle Ridge [KY] is definitely the greatest. If I knew how to bring pix in, I would show you.

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Photo%20Pages/Eagle%20Ridge%20photo.html

Here is a very small series of pix from there that includes #13 and some commentary

Doug
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:54:17 PM by Doug Ralston »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 05:57:10 PM »

#13, Eagle Ridge
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »
Thanks Rick. BTW, the actual drop is 240ft. Adds approximately 70yd to your tee shot.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »
then there's that one at the Norman course in Hawaii...Experience at something or other ::)

anyway, on The Travelling Golfer they said Jack played a round there and hit SEVEN tee balls in the water there and took a 17 for the hole!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:21:32 PM »
I think the first shot at TOC is.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »
Greatest split fairway tee shot I have seen is in Blåvandshuk, Denmark. Hole 12, medium length Par 4, toughest hole on the course. You actually see only the right fairway, the left one is blind over the small bush and scrubs.

Coming to about the halfway point of the drive we can see that there is more room to the right, but the left fairway shortens the hole and gives a better angle into the green.

Needless to say, I took the safe route to the right and the firm and fast turf bounced my ball into the woods anyway. After chipping out sideways I am faced with this monstrosity of a bogey saver. When I stepped out of the woods and saw this, I started to laugh and yelled: "Are you serious? Is that what you expect from me?" Good thing I was alone on the course. The green is not only hardly visible, it's also tucked away nicely behind some trees and a large bunker. I layed it up, took a double and said **** you.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:54:42 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Chris Perry

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »

It seems Arnie really likes this design. He's used it quite a lot.  ;D

There's also the 14th at Kayak Point, also by the King.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:11:51 PM by Chris Perry »

Michael Moore

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 09:11:01 PM »
You're kidding, right?

Yes, I am kidding.

Someone recently proposed that the greatest par three of all was a hole that strongly resembles that fairway, and this is a rebuttal.

I should have placed it on that thread.

Sweeney is correct, I continue to be misunderstood.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 09:40:26 PM »
What could compare?

Well, if you drained the water, you'd pretty much be left with this (apparently) major-worthy beaut:

take a good look at the picture because its not even close to being like that anymore.  Also what is not shown is the back tee which is located on the left bottom of the pic not shown and is on a direct line with the island fairway and the green. The main fairway on the right has been narrowed a great deal and the 2 smaller bunkers on the right side of the fairway have been moved and made into one larger bunker.  The biggest change is that all of the area between the tee and green is now underwater including the bunker front left of the green.  And since now where the cart path is located will be underwater it will me moved out of site right of the mounds that are on the right
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:42:12 PM by Nick Pozaric »

Philip Gawith

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »
Good for Redanman, getting the discussion back on the straight and narrow and taking us to the obvious candidate ;)

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 04:46:56 AM »
Agreed, Philip, and isn't it amazing that this incredible opening tee shot was created by a "Victorian" architect?  MacKenzie must have pooed in his pants when he saw it and realised that he could never do any better......

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 06:14:06 AM »
Agreed, Philip, and isn't it amazing that this incredible opening tee shot was created by a "Victorian" architect?  MacKenzie must have pooed in his pants when he saw it and realised that he could never do any better......
Rich, I was struck at Elie by the similarity between the tee shot at 12 there and the 1st at Machrihanish.  Was Braid influenced by Morris' design?  Had he ever seen Machrihanish before he worked at Elie?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ken Fry

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 07:53:18 AM »

#13, Eagle Ridge

Does anyone else think, "Nice cart path?"

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 08:24:15 AM »
if by nice, you meant ugly.  Then yes.

JR Potts

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 09:48:02 AM »
Are you sure those first few are not "golden tee" holes?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
I think the design is cool.

John Kirk

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »
I think "the greatest tee shot in golf" is probably a hole #1 somewhere.  The first tee shot of any given round has a special significance.  Balls are thrown in the air, partners are chosen, and the pre-shot jokes are a little funnier, as everybody mentally prepares to play.  Jack Nicklaus wrote that the most important shot of any round is the first tee shot, which sets the tone for the entire round.

Without having played there, I have to believe the first shot at The Old Course is as good as it gets.  Of the ones I've played, I like the first shot at Ballyneal, Sand Hills, and Riviera best, with honorable mention to The Kingsley Club, where the reward for a well struck drive is considerable.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back