News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

V for Vendetta- Golf's most beloved v. T. Doak at Sebonack!
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:50:39 AM »
Here I was your humble correspondent on the practice grounds of the new Sebonack Golf club flanked by Golf's most beloved figure on the right, and the architect Tom Doak on the left.  In a few minutes this titanic duo would face off in one of the greatest grudge matches ever conceived.  I expected a spectacle the epitomy of a Matt Wardian-epic review, a pure tour de FORCE of action.

The gamesmanship  started immediately.  Morrissett innocuously said his game was not all that considering he recently went back to 21st century technology from hickories.  How could he be expected not to get strokes given such a transformation?  Then he added, he had whipped myself, Pat Mucci, Ben Dewar, Jeff Mingay, Tommy Naccarato and even Brad Faxon all in the last few years.  The duality of this statement was not lost on Doak who quietly left the range to show his mastery of the putting green.  While golf's most beloved's stroke was off, Doak was holing putt after putt.  The tension was palpable, the animosity looming large when finally a two shot concession from Doak was forthcoming.  A move akin to Tom's Sebonack partner
Jack Nicklaus in the Ryder Cup? It felt more like pity to this scribbler.

As we approached the first tee I wondered to myself who would be the winner of this bout.  Little did I know it would be the course--Sebonack would break both of their respective egos.  The approach to the first hole at Sebonack must be played from the right side of the fairway to a green set up with a horizon of the deep blue sea.  A wonderful opening hole.  I then witnessed an interesting Zen like moment.  Golf's most beloved's eyes rolled back like a Great White Shark about to go into a feeding frenzy.  I then thought I heard him utter:

In the light of day
A monster among monsters
The sky, sun, and course are evidence to my greatness

I'm not sure Tom Doak heard this homage to Ran's own greatness but Tom's opening salvo was a dead pull left that immediately put him out of place.  Ran struck a fine 3 wood to the perfect position and the game was on.  Early on we became witness to a premonition by Tom that Sebonack would challenge the shot which found the wrong portion of the greens.  Regardless, Ran's opening par found him 1 up on Tom.  

As we strolled to the second tee, the beginning of the end started for Tom.  His tee shot duck hooked into a dune-- a harbinger of much to come.  Ran again split the fairway-- I thought a rout was on.  Despite coming up short on the approach to a wonderful green tucked between the sand dunes with a knob like protuberance forty yards short playing havoc with the approach, Ran soldiered on.

A veritable Super Bowl esque environment was evident with poor Mr. Doak nothing but the Buffalo Bills in this story, but even Ran's second par could not prepare me for what came next.

On the third after another Doak hook, Ran had a wedge to what he thought was a Redan like green but he overcooked it.  Could Doak scratch and claw back-- it was not to be.  Ran's detachment continued as he somehow got up and down--3 up.

We strolled to the downhill par 3 4th which was playing 225 yards into the wind.  Ran was about to melt and Mr. Doak was about to show his claws, I could feel it.  And I was right.  Ran flushed a 3 wood 40 yards left into a deep forest.  Tom did not take advantage though hooking his shot 20 yards left.  Regardless, the atmosphere had changed.  Tom was riding high on the hog and Ran started to complain about how hickories ruined his game, how his mastery was only one shot away.  The litany of excuses littered the playing field, a sad comment on how deluded golf's most beloved had fallen.  I recalled Ran shooting a 73 at Cuscowilla but that man was a figment of my imaginiation.  Who had replaced that giant with Dr. Seuss, I don't know.

On the long 7th hole which bends to the left and needs an approach that hugs the left side Mr. Doak showed his mettle.  On his approach he wielded a Scotland special.  A shot that was no higher than 15 feet traveled approximated 180 yards through a bunker to 8 feet.  Two putts later and Ran was only 1 up after having led the whole way.

On our way to the 8th hole Tom explained the irrigation pond we were to play over on this short hole and how it was somewhat inspired by the 12th at Augusta.  It was here as Morrisett took his practice swings that I saw his flaw.  In an attempt so psych out Tom he had lengthened his swing to John Daly proportions and was way over the line and pointed left.  With this swing flaw he started to hook everything along with Tom.  At the 8th, however, Doak struck with a blow heard even at NGLA!   A tight bullet approach to 5 feet!  Feeling weak and feeble, Ran came up short and we were now All square.   We played the wonderful uphill par 5 in which yours truly carded the only par while the dynamic duo halved in a number I cannot recall except to say I think I can say it in Spanish--ocho has a nice ring although it was probably siete.

#9 to #10 is a few minutes walk at Sebonack.  Curiously the enemy combatants didnt talk to each other.  And here I was expecting Ali-Frazier I but I got Ali -Frazier II.  At the halfway point there were few uppercuts and haymakers, only subtle jabbing and what seemed to be a lot of headbutting.  Would things change on the back 9?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:19:59 PM by Noel Freeman »

ForkaB

Re:V for Vendetta- Golf's most beloved v. T. Doak at Sebonack!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:58:42 AM »
Noel

Before you get to the back 9, how's the chow at the half-way house?  How do the cart girls compare to Gene Greco's dental assistants?

Noel Freeman

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:14:19 PM »
As we began the back 9, the match was about to devolve further.  The 10th is a cute, intimate hole that bends to the right with the proper line over the right fairway bunker.  Anything left of the fairway means an apporach that needs a Howitzer high trajectory over a carry bunker to a green not slated to receive an approach from that angle.  While Ran played conservatively, Tom went left and paid the price.  After scaring golf's most beloved, he was one down again.

The 11th is perhaps where a Wardian biographer would lose his breath and bluster in epiphanic moments.  I can see why.  From the tee you drive to semi blind fairway which tempts you to go left where a sand dune and blind approach await.  If you are fortunate enough to go down the middle or right, the hole unfurls like an ocean wave.  A rolling fairway unfolds to a green below you with a sweeping vista of both bay and beach to tease the eyes and whet the senses.  After your humble correspondent put his approach on the beach, the match turned ugly as Tom hooked his approach and golf's most beloved trying to maintain some semblance of game walked off with bogey and a two shot lead.

The 12th at Sebonack is a duck of a hole, inspired by Troon's Postage Stamp it is a tiny oasis in a hungry sea of bunkers.  Three tee shots went into the air, and only myself found providence and the green.  My goodness, if I was playing I would be crushing them but braggadocio is not my game, that belong's to Golf's most beloved.  His bogey won the 12th as Tom's hook was killing him but he would have one last laugh.

Holes 13 and 14 brought about a quip from Mr. Doak.  Rather then this match being a "Duel in the Sun" it was more like "Made in the Shade" as hook after hook bedeviled both of them.  At the 14th however, a great putt by Doak brought him back to 1 down.  Could he stage a comeback?. Oh it was not to be for the Traverse City Titan as the 15th found his shot so deep into the woods, our caddy came out with dozens of deer ticks.  The match was Ran's to lose.  Double bogey after double bogey followed but Tom would not give in.  Ran's hook was feeble and getting lower and even more left.  

Finally at the par 3 17th tucked and squeezed into a dune there was one shot left for Tom.  Ran's ball found a dubious dune on the right and was right on top of it while Tom had a good lie in the back bunker.  Ran did little due to the lie and Tom knocked it to 6 feet.  He needed to sink the putt to continue the match.  Ran started to sweat profusely, he could not accept the fact that he could lose nor be wrong.  Tom's putt lipped out and Ran's relief resulted in a Phil Mickelson Masters like leap.  It was over.  Humbled by Sebonack, these two likely would not battle for a long time.  Curiously, in the short walk to 18 tee, Ran's bravado grew by the footstep.  If I had listened to him, it sounded like he shot 75 instead of 99 which I had him on the card for.

Word to the wise.. Never give strokes to Golf's most beloved but even I have never seen him lose.  The Golf Gods smile upon him.  Sebonack was a wonderful venue for this, but I doubt Ran will say he was humbled.  

PostScript:  Tom told me after the match, that, "If I could have broke 90, he would have been mine for the taking!"  Truer words (partly paraphrased by me) were never spoken.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 04:38:27 PM by Noel Freeman »

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:27:10 PM »
Sounds like they were both cursed from the first tee to the last shot fired.  ;)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »
Noel,

Very well told.  It sounds like the adversaries were worthy, the venue inspired . . .  and the golf truly awful.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:17:21 PM by Tim Pitner »

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »
if only these epic matches could be recorded for posterity...

on second thought ;)...

thanks for the report Noel
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:57:10 PM »
 "The litany of excuses littered the playing field..."

Noel, you have somehow started channeling Herbert Warren Wind.  8)   Nice report.  How does Ran get away with his abuses?

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »
Ran should take all the money from the contributions to the site and go to the Butch Harmon School - or is there a Hank Haney School - ;D

Its sad to see golf's self- proclaimed most beloved figure turn into a whiner. Very sad.  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 01:06:03 PM »
Its sad to see golf's self- proclaimed most beloved figure turn into a whiner. Very sad.  ;D

"Turn into???"

When was he ever not?

;D

Kirk Gill

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »
As enjoyable a pair of posts as I have read on this site.

Thank you, Mr. Freeman !!
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 01:26:04 PM »
Ahhhh Noel......Ask Ran again who defeated who on the 19th hole at Stone Eagle.....

Ted Sturges will attest, beating Ran is one of the great things to do in life. Nothing pleases one more.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
Nice writeup.

What were the handicaps of the respective principals?

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 01:36:44 PM »
 8)

and what "was is in the techie's bag" ??

at banff 2 years ago, GOlf's most beloved one was carrying a TM R7, set to max slice, and i think he also had some lead tape on there doing a vj thing too...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 01:38:39 PM »
Nice writeup.

What were the handicaps of the respective principals?

Voytek

Like most golfers - the space between their ears!  ;D

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 01:41:45 PM »
How many fairways in regulation between them?

Noel Freeman

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 02:19:28 PM »
I have to add a few points. Ran follows the Jack Nicklaus credo of he's never missed a putt (JN).. Ran has never lost a match, to Tommy or anyone.. His superior mind will not allow it.

As per greens in regulation, I would say as a tandem maybe they hit 6 of 36...

I have to add Tom was a very gracious loser and was an extremely good host to us and did a terrific job detailing the course.  The sun was very bright and made picture taking difficult but it is for Ran to describe the course and not me as I was just the match referree..

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »
Atta boy Noel!  Nicely done.

JohnV

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 02:57:13 PM »
Perhaps we can have GMBF start a special section for the descriptions of these matches.  Between this one and the one I did on the match between GMBF and The Emperor in June, we have a good start.

Ron Farris

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »
Noel,
That was a very entertaining report, maybe not the Greatest Game Ever Played, but fabulously entertaining.
Lots of hooks - that is reminds me of the old days of golf when people had to shape the ball.  If one gets tired or jet lagged it is very easy not to get the hands high enough.  Modern technology should have countered any of that nonsense ;).

Great Play Gentlemen!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »
"The litany of excuses littered the playing field"

Wow....
Great tale.
Thanks
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »
Noel,
 What are your thoughts on the course? Where does it stand in its neighborhood? Big Jack says its way better than NGLA or Shinny. Whats the story?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 03:55:12 PM »
Does this mean we'll get a course profile of Sebonack before long?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 04:23:03 PM »
Noel,
  Big Jack says its way better than NGLA or Shinny.

Is this in print somewhere? I had not seen such quotes attributed to Jack.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
Noel,
 What are your thoughts on the course? Where does it stand in its neighborhood? Big Jack says its way better than NGLA or Shinny. Whats the story?

I cannot comment about this as I have no knowledge of this statement.  Sebonack is a unique creation and I think you all should wait for Ran's review later this year.  I did see Brad Klein's book at the club and it is a terrific production which details a lot with a ton of pictures..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 04:43:36 PM by Noel Freeman »

PThomas

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
Noel:  are there any pictures of this historic encounter?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back