News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re:Underwhelmed by the Old Course
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2006, 11:04:11 PM »
Tiger,

You're so right.  I too find that Al Franken insufferable.  At least you haven't yet questioned the intelligence and sanity of those who do not perfectly share your tastes in golf courses.

Have you considered that the hype and expectations for these courses may have been built to such high levels that it may be possible for them to fall short for some from time to time?

Tommy said that those who are underwhelmed by TOC are not real golfers.  As you know, Bobby Jones and Sam Snead were hardly enamored with the place during their initial experiences.  I guess that those of us who were underwhelmed with our first play can console ourselves with the knowledge that even though we are unreal golfers, we are in some pretty solid company.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2006, 12:27:58 AM »
I listen to Voytek and wonder where he has played his golf.

Notables (in no particular order):

Shinnecock, Maidstone, Bethpage State Park Black and Red Courses, Ballybunion Old, Luffness New, Gullane 1, Royal Musselburgh, North Berwick, Muirfield, Turnberry (Ailsa), TOC, Carnoustie, Dalmahoy, Royal County Down, Prestwick. I probably forgot a few. Walked PV a few times. Loved most of these courses.

I think what turned me off Pebble were really the obtrusive houses and some so-so inland holes. Even the name galls me -these are not Links. I guess I allowed these things to irritate me to the degree that I don't appreciate the course.

So be it.

For a couple of Pebble greens fees I can fly to Shannon in the off-season and play Ballybunion Old.

Much better deal.

Voytek,

An impressive collection indeed. Quite frankly I think you are full of it. Unless you own your own Falcon 50 there is no way you could fly to Shannon and play any course in Ireland for less than the tariff at PB. if you can supply me with the details of your travel costs and green fees at Ballybunion, I would certainly like to try your itinerary. The caveat is of course, that you currently reside in the US.

Bob

Jim Nugent

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2006, 04:15:28 AM »
Getting back to TOC, can anyone post or give links to photos of the Himalayas practice green?  

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2006, 05:53:43 AM »
Getting back to TOC, can anyone post or give links to photos of the Himalayas practice green?  

http://www.standrews.com/webcams/
Let's make GCA grate again!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2006, 04:30:47 PM »
I listen to Voytek and wonder where he has played his golf.

Notables (in no particular order):

Shinnecock, Maidstone, Bethpage State Park Black and Red Courses, Ballybunion Old, Luffness New, Gullane 1, Royal Musselburgh, North Berwick, Muirfield, Turnberry (Ailsa), TOC, Carnoustie, Dalmahoy, Royal County Down, Prestwick. I probably forgot a few. Walked PV a few times. Loved most of these courses.

I think what turned me off Pebble were really the obtrusive houses and some so-so inland holes. Even the name galls me -these are not Links. I guess I allowed these things to irritate me to the degree that I don't appreciate the course.

So be it.

For a couple of Pebble greens fees I can fly to Shannon in the off-season and play Ballybunion Old.

Much better deal.

Voytek,

Quite frankly I think you are full of it. .... I would certainly like to try your itinerary.
Bob

Bob:

Be my guest.

Two Pebble greens fees: $425 x 2 = $850

Off-season RT flight to Shannon from Newark, NJ = $300
Car rental in Ireland for 2 days = $100
Hotel near Ballybunion for 1 night = $80
Ballybunion Old Green Fee = $150

Proving that Bob Hundley is full of it = Priceless!!!

;D

Tom Dunne

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2006, 06:24:32 PM »
Voytek, a round on Ballybunion Old is actually 150 euro, not $150 US. Not that the extra $40 we're talking about is a dealbreaker.

http://www.ballybuniongolfclub.com/information.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back