News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Bourgeois

Re:Gravesites
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »
Hudson Hills in Ossining, NY

Crystal Lake near Burrliville, RI

Both have about 15-20 stones

Sean_Tully

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »
If my memeory is good Lincoln Park in San Francisco has two tombstones of sorts on the first hole. Can anyone who has played there latley confirm.

John you are correct that Lincoln has some monuments from the cemetery that preceeded the course. I found a photo that shows the land and area of the cemetery from the 1870's. I do not know where they put all of the bodies though.

I was told by an employee there that they had tried to have the clubhouse cleaned at night. That practice did not last too long after the employees complained about some strange occurrences. I wonder what they did with those bodies, hmmm. Maybe they left some bodies behind and they are trying to find the others so they can rest in peace. :o

Tully

Jason McNamara

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 11:38:26 PM »
In the Mid-Atlantic:
Westfields, right side of 12 or 13 fairway
Piedmont, driving range (tacky!)
There's one other I've heard about towards the Blue Ridge...Stoneleigh?

There's also a small (Civil War, iirc) cemetary at Meadows Farms, the, uh, idiosyncratic* 27-holer about 45 mins (?) south of DC.

Jason

* Short par 3 that looks like a baseball diamond, 800-yd par 6, etc.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »
Jonathan,

Fromm my recollection:

1) There is a downhill par 3 at San Francisco GC and off to the right supposedly is the location of the last legal duel held in California. As I recall, there are some tombstones over there.

2) Turnberry Ailsa - To the left are the ruins of the castle of Robert the Bruce and part of the ruins include a graveyard.

3) Pasatiempo #6 - Was Dr. MacKenzie not buried on property to the left of the fairway where he once lived?

Hope these help.

BoB Jenkins

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 02:26:47 AM »
Not exactly a graveyard, but in keeping with the Halloween theme, the 18th at the Struie course at Dornoch is called "The Witch" as it is adjacent to the site where in 1722 the last witch burning took place in Scotland.  Ah, those were the days.......

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 05:28:54 AM »
Isn't the 18th green at the Old Course on a gravesite?  Very tricky putting there.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Brad Klein

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 05:38:31 AM »
18th fairway at Carnoustie, but the one tombstone is hard to read, something like "VdV."

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 06:58:46 AM »
There is a nine hole course in cork called Doneraile the sixth hole doglegs left to right around a graveyard.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 09:54:54 AM »
During construction, an Iron Age burial was unearthed near the ladies tee of the 16th at Kingsbarns.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

michael j fay

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:02 AM »
Next to the 17th green at Cape Fear is the dead center of the golf couse.

Rick Baril

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 04:20:41 PM »
Cinnamon Hill, Jamaica - near the 3rd tee.

Each hole is named.  So it is logical that hole #2 is "Dead Ahead" and hole #3 is "Dead and Gone".

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »
Jonathon,

Devil's Pulpit - pictured on page 211 of Hurdzan's "Golf Course Architecture".

Jonathan,

Fromm my recollection:

1) There is a downhill par 3 at San Francisco GC and off to the right supposedly is the location of the last legal duel held in California. As I recall, there are some tombstones over there.

Bob,

You are thinking of #7 at San Francisco GC

TK

Brian Joines

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 11:02:02 PM »
Eagle Point in south of Bloomington, IN has one. I doubt you'd be too interested in writing about this place though!

Paul Richards

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »
Sunriver at Crosswater has a graveyard on the back nine.

Also, the 'other' course at Portmarnock (Links? - by the hotel) has a grave off of one of the earliest holes.  It's someone 'famous', although I cannot remember who it is.

:-[
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

SPDB

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 12:43:37 AM »
Jonathan -
Carnegie Abbey plays through an area that is dotted with the crude headstones marking burial spots of Hessian soldiers that died in the Battle of Bloody Run, on the site of which the course sits. I might have some pics.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »
Jonathan,

3 that come quickly to mind...

1) The Tom Fazio designed Wachesaw Plantation (SC) takes you past an old slave cemetery between the 15th green and 16th tee.   It is really quite chilling and well-preserved.

2) The new Jack Nicklaus course at Bayside (DE) passes an old church graveyard between the 7th and 8th holes.

3) The Four Seasons GC in Exeter PA (northeast, has a large graveyard that serves as OB left on the 1st and 12th holes.

4) About a mile from where I sit in Horsham, PA, the Twining Valley GC, circa 1931, runs adjacent to a cemetery on the uphill 11th par three.

Mike Hoak

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 09:42:16 AM »
In the mid-Atlantic, Meadows Farms has a small grave site in the middle of the course.

T_MacWood

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 09:44:52 AM »
Cape Breton Highlands has a graveyard.

Steve Curry

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46:18 AM »
but in the interim the area became known as "Hell's Acres" and was populated by gangsters, gamblers and horse thieves.

Jim,
Hasn't changed much since...

Steve

Mike Hendren

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 09:56:45 AM »
The McGavock Confederate Cemetary in Franklin, Tennessee is pictured below:

A total of 1481 Confederate casualties and 15 veterans of The Battle of Franklin are buried there.  The cemetary is adjacent to the NLE Country Club of Franklin fka Carnton CC which the city purchased and closed last year as part of its battlefield preservation effort.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:58:25 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 09:58:45 AM »
Lochinvar in Houston.  Lochinvar is a men only club.  The caddies make a point of pointing to the small graveyard and saying those are the only women on the property.  

Doug Wright

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2006, 11:53:49 AM »
Jonathan,

My favourite Hidden Gem, Blueberry Hill near Warren, PA, has a graveyard in the left rough on the par 4 6th hole.

My home course, Denver Country Club, has a stone marking the gravesite for polo ponies left of the 6th fairway. The area where the 3rd and 4th holes now are was a polo field back in the early 1900s.  
Twitter: @Deneuchre

ward peyronnin

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
Jonathan

Stoke-Poges, a Colt/Allison heathland course by London- i beleive the ninth hole and

my own Evansville CC which has a Jewish cemetary right next to the first tee

Ward P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »
The 18th tee at The Honors Course

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 12:04:10 PM »
Isn't the big mound that comes into play at Cruden Bay (I think its on 17 but I could be wrong) rumoured to contain the bones of hundreds of slain danes?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:04:43 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back