News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Jim O'Neal is posted
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »
Who among us hasn't dreamed of building a course?

For some, it might be on an open heath, for a few others something inland maybe though pine trees and sand soil, for many it would be with holes weaving through sand dunes perhaps with ocean views. An example of such a dream course is found in Geoff Shackelford's excellent read The Good Doctor Returns.

Of course, not many of us turn the dream into a reality (the tech implosion did no favors for The Carthage Club  >:(  :'().

HOWEVER, ever so often, people with enough conviction and passion do turn dreams into reality and that is exactly what Jim and Rupert O'Neal have done at Ballyneal. The course profile can be found elsewhere on this web site and is glowing as personally, I think Ballyneal is closer to a Doak '10' than a Doak '8'.

This Feature Interview is meant to provide insight into some of the ups and downs that the two brothers experienced along the way in creating this retreat. With Ballyneal being the epitome of fun yet challenging golf, the story of such a course/club can never be told too often on this site.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:37:46 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Kevin_Reilly

Re:Feature Interview with Jim O'Neal is posted
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:48:34 PM »
Wonderful interview, Ran.  Congratulations to the O'Neal brothers!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:25:45 PM »
I googled the artist, Josh Smith.  His two paintings shown in the interview are very appealing with impressions of color and theme, contrasting the textures of turf, native grasses, sandy bunkers and greens before a dawn-dusk sky.  It seems Mr. Smith is a very versatile artist from the examples of his paintings I found.

I'm curious how Smith and the O'Neal's came in contact for the idea of painting the golf landscape.  I think it is another example of bringing talanted artists, craftsmen, and professionals together for the production of a brilliant project.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »
Terrific interview, as always. Thanks, Mr. O'Neal, for sharing your thoughts with us.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 05:15:15 PM »
RJ,

Thank you for your comments on my paintings.  I am humbled to have guys like Ran and Jim O. appreciating what I love to do.  I will visit Ballyneal in a couple of weeks and know I will get plenty of inspiration to do many more paintings from that trip.  
     It is a very long story how I came to have a friendship with Jim O'neal, I will email you the long version.  In short, I was assisting in the Meadow Club restoration that Mike DeVries so caringly carried out, Sean Tully the assistant superintendent there and rapidly budding historian realized that Jim and I had a common friend/aquaintance in Tom Doak and arranged for me to meet Jim O. during lunch and show him my paintings and talk about the "sandy Colorado project" that I had heard Jim Urbina and Tom D. talk about the year prior.
     Back to the point, I thought the feature interview was great especially hearing about all the things that make Ballyneal different from other great courses.  And it is quite clear that Jim and Rupert have carried out this dream with unremitting determination.  Unrelenting faith in what their vision was and that it could succeed, even though huge financial risk on their part was likely involved.  To have walking mandatory is another piece of proof that it seems nothing about their initial vision will be compromised.  Now that is truly an amazing feat.  
     I may be wrong, but I think with most courses usually the money is there and then the golf course idea arises, in this particular case, there is no doubt the golf course vision came first (seventh or eighth grade) , then it had to be figured out by what means it could become a reality.  That, in my eyes, makes it all the more special.  And oh yeah, Jim is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
Great interview!

Josh - I thought your work in the clubhouse was really inspiring.  Beautiful work.  I spent a lot of time in the shop staring at the various paintings.

Josh Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 12:45:24 AM »
Tim,

Thank you, it is great to hear that.  You are a lucky man to have already had the pleasure of gracing the fairways of Ballyneal.  I hope to find one or two when I get there.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 12:48:48 AM »
I really love all of Josh's work.

Well done Sir!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »
Jim O'Neal is the consummate professional. He is undoubtedly the Jim Langely of the North Bay. Congratulations Jim on a fine interview and Thank You for yours and Rupert's vision.

Josh, Finding a fairway is only part of the battle. Granted, a big part, but they aren't hard to find. What is difficult is finding the proper places on those fairways. Which constantly changes with the pin positions, and the wind. I'll look forward to meeting you soon.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Daryl David

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:52:05 PM »
Josh,
Just wanted to pile on with more praise.  The first thing I noticed as I entered the clubhouse with Eric were some of your paintings.  You really captured the feel of the land.

Would love to see more of the same.

:D

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 11:10:41 PM »
Feature interview with Jim O'Neal?  I know that guy!

Jim, life is going to change now that you are standing in the blinding limelight of fame.  Men asking for advice and free rounds of golf.  Women asking for autographs and photo ops.  Appearances on Letterman and Oprah aren't far behind.  Soon, a bodyguard and a large entourage follow you wherever you go, caught up in the wave of hysteria known as...

Ballyneal.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:45 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing at the club Jim is head Professional at earlier this year. He was every bit the gentleman in person he comes accross as in the interview. I have a dream myself and cannot think of anything which will make me happier than for Jim's to come true economically as well.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 10:18:58 AM »
Josh,
Is this one of yours?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brian Joines

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »
Is that picture inside the clubhouse or a member's cabin (if they're even built yet). That painting looks great!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 11:05:07 AM by Brian Joines »

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
The photo is of the main floor of the lodge -- very cool place to stay. From the second-floor porch after dark, I enjoy watching the inevitable lightning shows and trying to guess how far away the storms are: 15 miles, 25 miles, 75 miles? It's awesome.

Josh Smith

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 08:17:15 PM »
Thanks Daryl.  I'll definitely be painting more of it.

Adam,

No, I cannot lay claim to that painting.  It does look cool.  Mine would likely have a little more red in it.

John K,

Looking forward to meeting you soon, I think, a fellow Oregonian.

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:48 PM »
As usual, Ran does a nice job on the interview, and Jim provides great background to the evolution of Ballyneal.  I am a little disappointed that there was no mention of Rupert's Vizslas ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 08:25:53 PM »
Josh,

I'm glad you came to Greywalls last year so I can say I rubbed elbows with another great artist.

Great interview w/ the O'Neals and another reason to stay optimistic about golf.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Josh Smith

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »
Joe,

Greywalls is a blast.  I am glad we got to meet as well.  Looking forward to meeting again and seeing some more of yours and DeVries handiwork.  Just played 36 today, Claremont morning, Meadow Club afternoon.  Both are very special MacKenzie masterpieces.  Well Done Doak (Claremont) DeVries (Meadow Club).  Very nice.

Josh
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:16:21 AM by Josh Smith »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back