News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Highlands Links: Very, very special
« on: August 17, 2006, 03:37:11 PM »
Whew!!! Just finished playing Highland Links in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. For newbies like me, it did not dissappoint.

Getting to this spot in the world, fly into Halifax and then either drive the balance or fly into Sdyney and drive. 6 hours v. 2 hours.

Either way, you are in for a treat. Easily makes my top 20. Terrific set of par 5's, can't remember a better set.

Fairways look like crumpled up sheets of green and brown grass. If you like uneven lies, you have come to awkward lie heaven.

Greens put slow, thank goodness, otherwise they would be unplayable.

If you like quirk, you will find yourself in the Kingdom of Quirk.

Downsides: Routing is weird, really not walkable for old guys like me, conditioning is only fair, 5 hour round, but the golf is sooooooooooooo good, you will look past all that and fall in love with the place.

Do not miss the opportunity to play here.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Robert Emmons

Re:Highlands Links: Very, very special
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »
It is special...enjoy the lobster tonight...RHE

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
Cary:

Keltic Lodge tonight for cocktails and chilled lobster??

Ingonish and the entire surrounding area is breathtaking and it is worth the time for anyone, golfer and non-golfer alike, to visit this pristine part of our world.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:10:58 PM »
Cary,

Sounds great and based on what many of you have said, it sounds like a must.
If you have a chance, try to get on New Ashburn outside of Halifax. Great track.
Private but if you are a member of a private club, your pro should be able to get you on.

Bob Jenkins

(from the other side of the continent)

Robert Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:28:25 PM »

Downsides: Routing is weird, really not walkable for old guys like me, conditioning is only fair, 5 hour round....

I played there two weeks ago and found the conditioning to be quite good, considering where it is located. I doubt Dornoch and the like would be in much better shape. As for the "weird" routing, it is a bit unusual, but I still find it very walkable.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Eric Olsen

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »
I played there last year and heartily agree that it is a wonderful course, tremendously fun to play.  I am waiting to go back until Cabot Links opens.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 09:04:01 PM »
Cary,

Yes the routing can be a tough walk if you are not in good enough shape, but it's also a big part of the charm of the place, and one of the things that make the course so great.

To this day, this is the only place where my wife came with me on a golf course and she enjoyed the walk very much, even as someone who doesn't play golf....

Hope you will enjoy your upcoming trip to Montreal.  Jeremy will take good care of you and your family. (Even if he did not pick the great restaurant I suggested when he asked me ;D)

Make sure to let us know what you think of the mighty Blue Course....

Yannick
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
The routing is fantastic. What an amazing place.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:41:49 PM »
Once Cabot Links is done we should have a GCA outing to Cape Breton Island.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 02:05:13 AM »
Read this through and tell me if you still think the routing is wierd. Also note the whole course was built by hand and the routing follows the areas where there was soil.

This by far is the most unusual of Thompson's routings, and it is why this is one of the most enjoyable experiences in golf. When Stanley surveyed the property on foot, he must have recognised how unique each area of the golf course was going to be. After he had finalised his routing, whether intended or intuitive, he made a decision of shear genius. He separated each unique area with a long walk. So why was this important? This makes the course unfold like a series of chapters from a great book, each chapter (or set of holes) has its own unique setting. When combined together it makes for wonderful journey through the local landscape.

I’ll explain this further. The first six holes are routed along the rolling land of the headland, which originally had ocean views on all six holes (this is something they desperately need to fix). I couldn’t think of a better way to start with all those ocean views! After the sixth green, the hole that plays along the ocean, Stanley takes you inland on a long walk to relax and enjoy the river valley as you enter the forested highlands (first change of pace and setting). The trees and mountains now dominate the setting of the course, and the player has to adjust to a more secluded and intimate setting. The holes are now fully framed by trees and mountains, with the tee shot on the 7th being intentional tight and tough to offer a complete contrast to the previous holes. Stanley does a wonderful job of creating an exciting stretch of holes while still maintaining a walkable course through this tough terrain. This stretch continues through to the tenth green.

Once again a change of scenery started with a walk over the old swinging bridge and along the magnificent Clyde Brook. The 11th and 12th were once wide open, flat and fairly straightforward. This gentle stretch of land and golf was made to act as a breather in the middle of the round before taking on the tougher stretch to follow. I love how the old photos show the river was intended to be visible from both holes. I found out the river was to be the focus of the two holes but they ran out of money to pay for the bridge crossing that was required. The walk from 12 green to the 13th tee is the prettiest walk in golf (another great transition to a new setting) again along the river and up to the 13th tee.

At the thirteenth hole, Stanley returns the player to very rolling land with views out to the ocean. While the holes are much tougher, experiencing a view of the ocean make them inspiring. This remains my favourite stretch of holes on the course and the golfing terrain he selected has no equal. The highlight of the round is probably the dramatic 15th that tumbles wildly down towards the ocean in the background. Once again the golfers experience another wonderful walk, this one by the church, to the final set of holes.

Holes 16 to 18 do not have a view to the ocean, although, I can’t help but wonder if the ocean was clearly visible on the right of the 18th hole. The final stretch is a return to the darker evergreens similar to the opening holes, here Stanley had designed a series of friendly holes to give players an opportunity to make a par. Stanley was always cognisant of resort play and making the courses enjoyable for the average player. I think he felt after such a long journey, making a par in the final stretch would be a great way to finish the round.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:14:34 AM »
Ian:

Thank you for the explanation.

Perhaps my use of the word "weird" was a poor choice of words. Here is what I said to my cart partner during the round, " I think what Thompson did, was select holes that were in ravines and holes that offered the most dramatic topography, hence the long cart rides from certain holes to others"

"I thought the routing took best advantage of the land, but the guys at GCA would criticize it because it does not make for a goood walking course."

Personally,  I like weird and quirky, because it makes for alot of challange, makes you think alot, and to get to see hole after hole here that you just never experienced before.

We discussed the awkward lies at dinner last night and the girls said they never bothered them and loved the challange.

All in all, what a terrific experience and when Cabot Links opens, I second the idea of an outing here.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 07:39:41 AM »
It only adds to the appeal, but bald eagles are very common at Highlands Links.

T_MacWood

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:48:29 AM »
I played the course prior to carts and cart paths (carts are relatively recent development) and I can assure you it was one of the greatest walks in golf if not the greatest walk. Pace of play was not an issue before. I'm wondering if the carts have attracted a different type of golfer...no offense to Cary and the girls.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:31:11 AM by Tom MacWood »

Eric Olsen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »
The pace and walk was fine when we played last year, even after a bike trip along the Cabot Trail!  I like the explanation about the unfolding of the various sections of the course, which makes perfect sense given the feel of a round there.  Anyone know how late in the year the season goes up there?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »
I don't have an exact date, but it's probably later than you'd think.  They're right on the Gulf Stream, and the ocean is definitely swimmable during the summer.

Folks - if you haven't been up there, you're really missing out on something special.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 12:03:08 PM »
Robert and I walked 36 holes there a couple of years back and I'm chubby.....er...OK...heavy......er....Michealson shaped. It is not a hard walk and 4 hours is easily done.

The long walks come from not being able to place holes in certain locations because there was no soil. They had one truck on the entire job. They couldn't move earth and they couldn't truck soil. The holes had to go where they had soil.

What's between the 12th green and the 13th tee? Rock. That's why you had to walk that far.

I know of a few walks at Thompson courses but nothing as epic as the walk between 12 and 13, but he usually had more constructon equipment, a lot less land, and soils where he could make change.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
Here's a picture of that very walk, courtesy of Ran's HL review:

Dave Collard

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »

Downsides: Routing is weird, really not walkable for old guys like me, conditioning is only fair, 5 hour round....

I played there two weeks ago and found the conditioning to be quite good, considering where it is located. I doubt Dornoch and the like would be in much better shape.

Maybe... but there ain't no 5-hour rounds at Dornoch!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 03:41:50 PM »
Laura and I were paired with Adam, a young 8th grader that lived in the area.  He played Highlands Links 4-5 times per week.

We found ourselves behind some very slow players.  

We're at the halfway house just talking about the beauty of the place, but adding how slow the schmucks ahead of us were playing.

Adam replies, "We have a name for people that play golf like that around here.  We call them 'Tennis Players'".   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »
I know of a few walks at Thompson courses but nothing as epic as the walk between 12 and 13, but he usually had more constructon equipment, a lot less land, and soils where he could make change.

I've only played one Thompson course, and hope to rectify that in the near future, but it was a beautiful thing, Capilano.  8)

The only long green-to-tee walk I recall there is from #14 green to #15 tee, around the clubhouse to the final four gems, and it didn't seem long at all.  That is a masterful routing, not sure I've ever seen a better one.

Too bad about those overly  ;)short par 5s, eh?  ::)

ed_getka

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 09:09:40 PM »
Ian,
  Thanks for the great explanation. If someone decides to put together a gathering I would love to attend as I had to miss the last get together there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »
Robert

The lobster was as you said, terrific...Thanks

Cary

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 01:12:56 AM »
Cary, you've probably been asked this, and answered, before.  Any chance you can start taking pictures?  You play so many interesting courses.  Pictures would spice up even more your excellent commentaries.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 07:59:20 AM »
Jim:

I wish a was a good photographer, most of my stuff comes out too "flat", can't see the topography too well.

I should have started out doing it a long time ago.

Thanks for the suggestion

Cary

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »
Bad pictures are better than no pictures!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back